Anyone take Trazodone and an SSRI?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Apr 7, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

Hi all,

I recently went back on Lexapro after being off it for a long time and I'm not sleeping as well as I remembered. I'd like to avoid Ambien and Lunesta for the cost and side effects, but I've read good things about Trazodone, which appeals to me since I can take it as an add-on to the Lexapro. My energy levels and outlook are so improved on the nights I get good sleep that it's imperative I find something that works. Anyone take Trazodone and an SSRI with good results?

Eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  2. andrea1459

andrea1459 New Member

HI
    I take trazadone , but take it with a tricyclic anti-dep and this combo works very good for sleep purposes and for pain.

Andrea
  3. ColdinMN

ColdinMN New Member

I take trazadone at night and it seem to help me sleep and calm my restless legs. Trazadone was meant to be an anxiety drug like paxil but they found that it just put people to sleep. I have not not had any side effects. Just be sure to take it an hour or two before you go to bed or you may have a difficult time getting up.
  4. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

Trazodone is a modified tricyclic antidepressant. I took it alongside Paxil during 2002 and it worked ok. It definitely helped me sleep and oddly enough counteracted some of the jitteriness I had from paxil. (I'm one of the people that are ultra sensitive to SSRI's. I took ~10mg of Paxil for over 18 months and never could tolerate more than 10mg because it would make me so jittery and subsequently kept me up at night.

Oddly enough when I took Trazodone, it counteracted a lot of that and I was able to move up to 50mg (Paxil CR). Trazodone, however, gave me a dull headache and aggravated my stomach, so I ended up quitting Paxil and Trazodone. I later took Lexapro with Traz' but neither combo worked all that well.

5. elsa

elsa New Member

I had a really bad experience with trazadone. My PCP put me on it back before we knew I had (or before the more bigtime symptoms showed up) fibro.

Even on the smallest amt ... I think I 1/4th'ed it ... I had nightmares, sometimes nightsweats, groggy all the next day and eventually made me too, too stupid for words.

Lastly, I became absolutely worse then "numb" emotionally / physically. My fight or flight response became nonexistant which is very bad thing when you are jumping horses over fences.

Almost flipped one time because I failed to make a simple adjustment that I knew I needed to do. I thankfully made it to the other side of the jump ... horse and rider in one piece, however I could not have cared less that I almost killed myself.

Actually laughed out loud saying "oops". At the very least my heart rate should have increased .... nope, nada. Knew right then and there that trazadone had to go.

I am of the body type that does not gain weight, for the most part. Trazadone did put on a few pounds around the middle ... not a great amount but enough considering how difficult it is for a medication to do that. Might be something to think on.

My husband took lexapro 20mgs AM and trazadone at night ... it was pretty much overkill for him as he was trying to fix sleep too. Went down to lexapro only in the PM .... still too sleepy during the day.

I think for many, me especially, AD's just don't sit well. I cannot handle them. Too much of everything. Many are AD intolerant ... I think I really am bigtime. My husband is doing well on small amts of wellbutrin in the Am and 1 to 2 mgs lunesta for sleep.

Sometimes you just need to go for the medication created specifically for the problem and lunesta was created to mimick the sleep architecture. About the best one can ask for sometimes.

I have read of others successfully taking trazadone for sleep. The TRI's and SSRI's help many and hopefully they will give you their input. For me, I have in the past had much greater success taking the amino acid building blocks for neuros instead of the rx AD's.

Good luck in your search. I'll keep positive thoughts for you .....

Take care,

Elsa

[This Message was Edited on 04/07/2006]
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

bpmwriter:
    I used to take an SSRI and Trazodone for sleep. It was good for sleep, but when I tried to use it one day well before bedtime I felt like my face was melting. Ugh! Good for sleepytime, though (for me).

n.f.
  7. futurehope

futurehope New Member

take Trazadone with my SSRI.

I took it for sleep. It was absolutely wonderful!!

Brenda
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I have read on one of the sites here, and in Bennett's FM and CFS treatment where he says it can be used with SSRI's, inplace of Zyrem for sleep.

FFC put me on 25 to 50 with Effexor. Do not get me started on EFFExor. I have been on it for so long, and I don't think it is working, has so many side effects, such as FAT, FAT, FAT. Don't tell me, as my shrink does, that it doesn't do more than the others.

I mentioned it to my therapist, who had a patient on it, who was desperately trying to loose weight, at 450. He suggested he try switching to something, but I did not ask what, and the guy was ecstatic. He had switched to something else, and once going through helll in withdrawal, etc. with Effexor, he started to loose weight, without further changes.

Lost 50 pounds in four months. Mind you, men can and do loose weight much, much easier than women.

Nothing ever is the same for any two patients.

The trazazone seems safe to me, but I have to take provigil, no matter what I take or don't take, frankly.
  9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I went to Mayo Clinic (begining of FMS and CFS but they did not recognize it) but they did put me on Effexor and Trazadone. I sleep wonderfully well (if it wasn't for an over-active bladder). I also know if I am not asleep in 30 min., I missed it and go to the kitchen and take it. All's OK.

I get up OK too. I also take .50 mg Klonopen at bedtime and 1/2 of the in the AM.

i was sooooo heppy to get a full night's sleep. I had been getting prior to that, 4 or less hrs. Horrid!!!!

Gentle Hugs.

Joan
  10. maddoxmm

maddoxmm New Member

Hi,

I have had great success with the Trazadone/SSRI combination; however, fatigue still comes and goes uninvited.

Take care,

Mindy
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Trazadone is the only thing that gives me stage 4 sleep,Linda