Anyone take Tylenol PM every night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Apr 7, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I mentioned yesterday to my PCP that I take Tylenol PM every night and he didn't say anything. I really didn't get a chance to ask him if it was okay to take it indefinitely for sleep. Does anyone take this every night? I assume it is safe, but am a little concerned about the very small possibility of addiction. Has anyone asked their doctor about this?

It really helps me sleep and I don't feel hungover the next morning, so I am pleased with it.

Just wondering :)

Deena
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Deena:
    Tylenol PM is Tylenol with the generic of Benadryl thrown in. I use Benadryl during the day to steady my 'twitchy' fingers. It is also used for patients with Parkinson's according to the literature and yes: it makes for a good nights sleep. And the Tylenol together with it makes it even better. My belief is that Benadryl is safe, but I have seen it written that some people get Restless Leg Syndrome from it.

n.f.
  3. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

My only concern is that tylenol is harsh on the liver. You can now buy the pm part without the tylenol. Unless of course some of the reason for sleeper better is because of the pain relief. Also I think there is a chance of addiction to any drug. This probably won't be an addiction of a sort where you would go through severe withdrawls like from morphine but you would probably have a hard time sleeping. I take melatonin every night. I take 1mg 1/2 before bed under the tongue and then I take one more right before getting in bed (also 1 mg) that has a time release function. This has worked well for me for about a year now. I have tried the tylenol pm and the one without the tylenol and it works but my liver enzymes are up and I need to watch it and for me it leaves me with a hang over effect. But I keep it on hand if I really need it and it is on a night when I don't have to get up at 5:30 for work. Good luck and have a wonderful weekend - Bobby
  4. ckzim

ckzim New Member

I've taken Tylenol Pm...off and on now for about 2 yrs...it's the only thing that helps me fall asleep...and it's a gradual type thing...with no moringin hangover.

It's the only thing that keeps me sleeping..otherwise I am up 4-5 times a night...I've tried all the sleeping pills from here to the moon...I can't function the next day.

I sometimes worry about the tylenol...but I take Ultram for pain, and the vicodan....for break through...no problems yet for my liver...as far as addiction???

I can't say I've ever experienced that...maybe a dependance?? That's when it doesn't help me anymore...I stop taking it for about a week...and then it's right back helping me again.

Hope this helps you some..
    KathyZ
  5. Densgirl

Densgirl New Member

After my abien driving scare (see: I'm an ambien statistic post) I will not take anything else! I'm actually taking just one pill per night along the homeopathic HEAD ON PM
    a homeopathic roll on stick you apply to your forehead. My
    Dr said it was safe to take Tylenol PM long term. Of course, he's the same guy that put me on the Ambien. I had been taking Tyneol PM before that with no problems except I did not stay asleep. I am sleeping more hours now.

Pat
  6. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I used heavy duty meds for sleep. My hubby was feeling bad about taking 1 tylenol PM every night so he asked his LLMD. He said there was absolutely no problem with taking 1 or more every night. Again, no addition problem, but there IS the liver issue. He also takes a lot of advil during the day.
  7. scruffysmom

scruffysmom New Member

Hi Deena: I didn't see anyone mention the problem I had with tylenol pms. I took it for sleep and you are right, I had good nights sleep without drowsiness. HOWEVER, I also had an infection that I wasn't aware of too. I took the tylenol pms for 10 days straight and slept great, but on the 11th day I had a full blown respiratory infection that went untreated for several days cause the tylenol pms masked the signs of infection. That's due to the benedryl in it. The doctor said that's exactly what happened and I was one sick puppy for longer than I would have been if I had not taken the tylenol pms.
    So, I tried a natural sleep med and it works wonderfully.
    It's called Drs Restaid, but if you can find this combination of Valerian, Hops, and passion flower, it will work. I take 2 at one hour before bedtime and I sleep like a baby and wake up without the hangover effect. No side effects at all, and it does not mask infection signs.
    If you can't find it, just find one with Valerian as the main ingredient and try to find one or both other ingredients.
    Hope this helps.
    ruth, scruffysmom
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Like others said, the TylenolPM is hard of the liver, I used to take them, but did not get the results you did.

I finally found a combination that does work wonderful for me, here it is:

.25mgs of Xanax

2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), this seem to be the star in my success (plus it stopped my RLS). Its sold here at Pro Health.

2 1/2mgs of Melatonin, under the tongue kind.

I have been doing this now for over four years, and sleep every night now.

Good luck with your sleeping, but do be careful with the TylenolPM on a regular basis and your liver.

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]