Anyone Take Vit B 12 Injections?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 11, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Got a call for the doc's office and my Vit. B 12 is low, so they want to start me on the injections.
    Good news my Vit D has gone from 17 to 47 ..

Just wondering if the B12 injections helped, especially with depression and fatigue.

I have read of several side effects from the injections , wish I wouldn't do that..cause if there is a side effect I will find it.

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Would you believe this is the first doctor that has ever checked my vit. b12.. She is a PA and the wanting me to have the mri..

I had rather have the B12 sublingual but guess I will do what she says and take the injections then maybe I might ask her if I could try the oral ..

Hoping this will help with my depression and energy..

How are you doing from your surg.? From what I have read on the board you seemed to have gotten along well, hope you are still dong good.

hugs, gg
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

From Mayo Clinic:

Studies have shown that a deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to abnormal neurologic and psychiatric symptoms. These symptoms may include: ataxia (shaky movements and unsteady gait), muscle weakness, spasticity, incontinence, hypotension (low blood pressure), vision problems, dementia, psychoses, and mood disturbances. Researchers report that these symptoms may occur when vitamin B12 levels are just slightly lower than normal and are considerably above the levels normally associated with anemia.
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for the info. I have been reading of the side effects of the B12 injections. I didn't know there could be. My level was 121 I think the norms range from 180 to something not sure what the nurse said..

Maybe this could be the answer to a lot of my anxiety /depression..

God Bless,
  5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

B12 shots made a huge difference for my grandma when she started getting them. Don't worry about side-effects - I don't think they happen that often. Just concentrate on the possible benefits that you will receive by getting the shot. And don't expect miracles overnight. It might take a few shots to really notice a change :)
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, greatgran.

I'm glad you are looking into your B12 level.

It sounds as though you have an actual B12 deficiency, and your doctor appears to have given good advice for correcting it, although the sublingual approach works well for most people, too.

In ME/CFS in general, many people have blood serum levels of B12 that are in the normal range or even above it, but their bodies are not able to use it effectively. That is, they have a functional deficiency of vitamin B12.

If you find that the B12 injections do not do the whole job for you, you might consider trying one of the protocols directed at lifting the partial methylation cycle block, which will correct a functional B12 deficiency, because it's possible to have both. I think that a person can start with an actual B12 deficiency, from a variety of possible causes, and that can lead to a partial methylation cycle block, which causes a functional B12 deficiency in addition, and then it is necessary to correct not only the actual B12 deficiency, but also the partial block, in order to reach recovery.

If your doctor is willing to run a test, the most helpful ones are a urine organic acids test that includes both methylmalonic acid and formiminoglutamate (FIGlu) and the methylation pathways panel from Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey.

An example of the urine organic acids test is the Genova Diagnostics Metabolic Analysis Profile. It is available through some doctors, or it can be ordered without a doctor's order from www dot directlabs dot com. If both methylmalonic acid and FIGlu are somewhat elevated on this test (near mid-range on the lab report or higher), this is a good indication of a partial methylation cycle block.

The methylation pathways panel gives a direct look at the methylation cycle and folate metabolism, as well as glutathione. All of these are abnormal when there is a partial methylation cycle block, and this panel gives good baseline data for comparison during the treatment later on.

There are now several protocols that basically address this partial block, in both ME/CFS and in autism, which appear to have the same fundamental biochemical issues. These include the Simplified Treatment Approach that I have suggested, the full Yasko treatment from which I extracted it, the protocol recommended by "freddd" on the Phoenix Rising forum, the Vinitsky protocol used by Dr. Alan Vinitsky in Maryland, the DAN! treatments (including the one tested by S. Jill James et al.), the protocol of Dr. Derek Enlander in NYC, the protocol of Dr. Sarah Myhill in Wales, and the protocol of Prof. Martin Pall (which now includes both hydroxocobalamin and 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (FolaPro)). This type of protocol seems to be coming under wider use as people are finding that it helps them.

You can find more information on this at www dot cfsresearch dot org.

Best regards,

7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I had shots once a month at the drs office for a few months, I think it was the cyanocobalamin (sp?) type B12. Then, doc recommended giving myself injections at home.

I got an rx for methylcobalamin B12 and had it filled at a compounding pharmacy. Started out w one dose every 3 days, for a month and then once every couple of wks for a few months. I unfortunately didn't notice any improvement in any areas while doing this. However, my blood levels did go up to "normal".

The shots are pretty much painless, they are given right under the skin in a fatty area (i did hip, outside upper thigh, and lower abdomen). Needles are the tiny insulin type.

The only side effect I had was bruising/soreness at the injection site...not everytime tho, it was probably my faulty method of injecting, who knows.

It wouldn't hurt to try it tho, that was my opinion. It was easy and mostly painless:) The supposed advantage of the shots is that the B12 is stored in the fat cells at the injection site, then slowly absorbed over time. There are varying opinions as to which type B12 should be used, the cyano or methyl types.

Good luck GG......
    xoxo Hermit
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2010]
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I have taken B-12 injections for low B-12 levels. I did/do not have depression but do have MAJOR fatigue and MAJOR weakness. The B-12 injections did nothing for my fatigue. What is DID do, was to clear up my MAJOR brain sludge. A really severe form of my usual brain fog.

I am allergic to yeast so my doctor orders my B-12 come from a yeast-free source.

Go for it. I agree, it is pretty painless. I got preloaded syringes. I gave the shots in my outer thigh. Sometimes it would sting afterwards a bit, but seemed to sting less if I warmed the shot up a bit.
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

I so appreciate your input.. I am not afraid of needles or the pain its the meds in

I read on the net that the B12 injections could actually cause trouble breathing, anxiety, panic,
    something to do with the heart like an attack.. Now why I look for all these side effects is beyond me.. Guess cause I seem to be med sensitive to everything.

I feel I have no choice so will go for it. I am not expecting any drastic improvement.

God Bless and thanks so much,
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thank you so much for all your information. I am going to show this to my doctor. I won't see her until after I start the injections.

I am somewhat concerned about side effects.. I do wish I wasn't like I am but my fears and emotions are running beyond my control.. Not even the xanax is helping .

The doc has scheduled a MRI but I am so scared because of lying flat, I can't seem to be able to lie flat I have to have pillows. When I lie flat I feel like a vertigo is on the way then I get all anxious .. I am practicing but after about 3 minutes I have to get up and feel so dizzy and off balance. She is wanting to rule out MS.. I think after 10 years I would have more symptoms..Don't think I will mind the machine its the having to lie down without pillows...

I realize how out of control I am and am so ashamed but I am trying to ignore all these emotional feelings .. Maybe with practice , but then if something is causing them.. Oh, well
    I know you didn't want to hear all my complaints.. But thanks so much for taking the time to give me all the info..

God Bless,
  11. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, greatgran.

I'm sorry that you are troubled by these emotional feelings. I hope that you will be able to endure the injections and the MRI. I might just note that emotions are very much involved with neurotransmitter levels (such as serotonin levels) in the brain, and they in turn are dependent on the operation of the methylation cycle and folate metabolism. So it may be that if you have a partial methylation cycle block and it is corrected, you may get some relief from the emotional issues in the long run. I know that doesn't help you for the immediate future, but I do think there is hope for improvement in this area.

Best regards,

12. I have been getting them for about 3 yrs. I don't notice any difference and no side effects. I asked if I could take the b12 sublingual and she said no but I may add a little to see if I can get some energy!
  13. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am so confused , have you read on the net about all the side effects with the injections?
    Not sure why I even go there. I think I am going to try the b12 subingual first and then maybe the injections later.. Every doc seems to tell me something different. I don't go from doc to doc .. The one I had moved, then find one I really liked well he no longer is accepting medicare.

Then I may go Monday and get the injection depends on how anxious I am.

I am happy to hear no side effects but sorry to hear you haven't noticed any difference.

My goal now is to try to get this darn anxiety /depression under control then maybe I will ge able to make better choices.

Thanks for your reply,
  14. klar

klar Member

I can only speak for my 62 year old self, but I have been having B12 injections for about 3 or 4 months now. I truly noticed the difference during the week of Christmas, when I forgot about my appointment. I was really fatigued every day, mostly in the afternoon. Today I went back for a shot and feel better already. I really wondered if it makes a difference--well apparently it certainly does for me!! I have not experienced any ill side effects. Hope this helps.