Anyone taken Lyrica PRN(as needed) rather than dailey?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frances1011, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Frances1011

Frances1011 New Member

Hello, has any one had any experience taking lyrica on a prn as needed basis rather than on a schedule of once or twice a day? Has nausea been a problem for any one on this drug? Thanks for your help. Fran
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I take lyrica as required like when Im having a crash or just aches and pains skyrocket. I find it works within a couple of hours. Also sometimes take it with an antihistamine when i need a good sleep. The rest of the time i just use panadeine for pain which has codeine in it and its over the counter too. I use it this way because i have used it contineously and put on some weight and also lost its effectiveness. Intermttent use i think helps avoid tolerance and weight gain too.
    Good luck
  3. luckyman

luckyman New Member

because while it helps with pain, especially neuropathies, its slowly stops working as well over time. Meanwhile the side effects that had seemingly diminished came back to haunt about 2 months later. I've had a couple of attacks where I literally couldn't breath. It stopped me in my tracks and I tried to stay calm, until I could start breathing again. It seemed nerve related, and I was losing feeling everywhere. After a couple of attacks I stopped the med just to see if it was causing this problem. While off the Lyrica I got my feeling back, and had no more attacks. A couple of months later I tried it again, and it was working well until I had reoccurance of the nerve/breathing problem. I now only take it when nothing else will cut the pain, and will only take 2-3 capsules a month. Be careful with this medicine! (I don't have any known drug allergies (possibly Lyrica) and have a high tolerance for meds in general.
  4. somelife

somelife Member

Hello, Fran.

I haven't been on this website in sometime, but saw your post and would like to thank you for asking this question.

I was only Lyrica for two years, but with some of the side effects I could not take it daily. I never thought of just taking in on the really bad days, but seems like an idea worth trying.

Thanks again.