Anyone taken "Steroid Bursts"?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dragon06, Aug 24, 2006.

1. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I recently went to see my doctor as I am in the worst flare I have ever had. She refilled my pain meds for me (bless her soul) and we dicussed it a little bit.

She decided that I should try a "steroid burst" to see if that would jolt me out of the flare up. I am willing to try almost anything so I said ok.

She has me on a 1 week burst of Methylprednisolone.

Has anyone ever taken this before and if so did it help you in anyway or did you have any side effects or anything like that?

Thanks
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

bump for info!

God Bless.
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would love the doctor to give me steriods sometimes. I know when I am flaring. My problem is I have chronic gastritis and steroids are hard on the stomach.

I have to be so careful. I will ask again when I see her next time...
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

the steroids didn't seem to help with the pain much but they did give the rest of my system a boost so hopefully that will be enough to pull out of this flare.

I am starting to feel better. Hopefully I will be back to "normal" pain levels soon.
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

mostly for allergies and asthma. Once I twisted my arm and they gave me medrol as well.

It's a strong and powerful drug and not to be abused. I only take it now if my tongue is swelling or get totally blocked ears.

I never had a stomach problems with it. I take it with food. I also have chronic gastritis.

The only thing with me--I felt wonderful on it as my symptoms felt better. BUT, when I weaned off of it, the muscle pain came back with a vengence. So for me, I don't like to take Medrol for flares.

T
  6. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Hi:

I have been on the dose packs before, but usually for asthma or for respiratory issues that refuse to clear up with antibiotics and nebulizer treatments (of steroids). I do know that whenever I have to take these, my pain level goes down, dramatically, and within 24 hours. Unfortunately, it does come back, but for me it is worth it for the 7-10 days that are so much better.

For 5 years I was on 20mg of prednisone daily for RA. Kept my RA at bay very well, but most likely I have a bunch of side affects that are not so good. I am dealing with some of those right now.

Good luck, and the dose pack just might jolt you out of the flare. If it does not, at least you might have some pain relief.

Ingrid