Anyone Taken the ABX Cefdinir?

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Nov 1, 2014.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Have you ever looked into D-Mannose for preventing and treating bladder infections? It helped me a lot some years back when I was having trouble. It's more effective than cranberry juice.

ClearTract is the brand I used. You can read user reviews on both Amazon and iHerb.

Good luck! Bladder infections are the worst.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB
    Sorry to hear about another problem. When I was in the hospital for an appendectomy
    about 30 years ago, there were 3 fellows with some sort of bladder problem.
    Shoot! Can't really remember. Anyway, I do remember they were supposed to
    drink lots of cranberry juice.

Maybe there's a med nowadays that's more effective. Oh, just noticed the post above
    about that very point. "Mannose" sounds like something you would take after
    rhinoplasty. Well, anyhoo, hope something helps.

Rock

[​IMG]
  4. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

JKenndey, I just read the d-mannose reviews on amazon and they are teriffic. There are different brands of 50mg that range in price from $14 to $23. Is there a certain brand that you use. I want to find the best one.

I want to try the powder because I can't swallow capsules. Which do you use? Thank you for telling me about this. Also, is it just for prevention or can you take it during an infection?

Do you also drink cranberry juice with it? I noticed one of the ads said you could mix the powder in cran. juice. GB
  5. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, gb66. I think the powder would be fine. I use the ClearTract brand.

I'd recommend using the powder by itself rather than combining it with cranberry/grape juice, even if it is low carb and sugar. Grapes have naturally occurring sugars, which could make your condition worse.

It's good you're going to have a culture done. If you do also have a kidney infection, you'd need to get that treated right away.

Good luck!
  6. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, gb66. I'm not taking the ClearTract much anymore because it's been so long since I've gotten a bladder infection.

I would suggest taking it every day for awhile and seeing how you do.

Since you are taking ABX, are you also taking a probiotic? That's a good idea so that you don't get problems from the ABX wiping out all the beneficial bacteria, too.

I've been told to take a probiotic at least 2 hours away from ABX.
  7. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi GB,

I'm thinking about you, and how you are feeling.

Don't you just hate it when you have to see a new doc??? I do.

May I ask what ABX was prescribed?

There are a couple classes of ABX I refuse to take.

One is the "used to be commonly prescribed" Z-Pak: Azithromycin

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697037.html

It has a risk of heart side effects, such as fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat.

Another class of ABX I refuse are the "Fluoroquinolones", like Levaquin, or Avelox, and the like.

Do your research, my friend.

I wish you good luck, in getting through this!!!!!!

I'm thinking about you, and wishing you well.

Hugs, Diane
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

@gb66 - Antibiotics should pretty much wipe out a bladder infection in the first day. There is no point staying on an antibiotic that you have been on for weeks because it is obviously not working. Get your doctor to do a culture first and then you will know that you are on the right antibiotic. I don't understand why doctors don't automatically do this when someone complains of an infection not going away. It is pointless just randomly throwing antibiotics at an infection. I don't think that they understand just how much damage antibiotics do to our bodies. :eek: