Anyone taking a low dose of natural CORTISOL ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by laura81655, Nov 25, 2005.

1. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Hi friends,

I know some of you from the FFC's are taking cortisol. I am taking 5 mg. but my PCP said not to take it long term because of the side effects, Osteoporosis, weight gain, hig BP, mood changes.

It has helped with the pain in my feet somewhat. I thought I was taking a low dose and it would be ok to take for awhile, but wanted to hear from others and experiences.

Thanks!

Laura
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

3. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

4. victoria

victoria New Member

It helped me eliminate late afternoon naps a few years ago... only took it about 8 months to a year, then had a bone scan, had mild osteoporosis at 51, and my gynecologist felt it might be contributing -----------

but reversed her stance and she actually RX'd me some the following year as she also has some problems with chronic fatigue... changed her opinion about low dose/physiological dosages contributing to osteoporosis; but I didn't get any additional benefit...

so I weaned myself off of it again.

It has been about 2 years since then. I think it would be worthwhile even for me to try it again, actually.

A physiological dose of cortisol should NOT cause osteoporosis no more than a physiological dose of thyroid med... ie, if you need it and your body is not manufacturing it, it seems reasonable to assume there will be deletrious effects from not getting it.

Dr. Teitlebaum also suggests taking it for 6 months and seeing if it helps, and then weaning off and seeing if positive effects remain; if the effects reverse, he says stay on it also.

I also talked personally with the doctor who originally pioneered the use of physiological doses of cortisol back in the 1950s; when I talked to him several years ago he was 85 and retired, and had been on it himself since 1950s.

He'd been an endocrinologist and found himself with the same symptoms that he was seeing way back then in his patients. He says physicians got scared off it because of the bad side effects of taking too high of a dose (ie, not physiological) and compared it to what would have happened if people had been given too much thyroid medication...

can't think of his name right now, but he wrote a book about it entitled something like, "The Physiological Use of Low Dose Cortisol", something like that.

hope this helps.

Victoria

5. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Dear Laura

I am currently trialing low levels of natural cortisone to see if it helps. I am taking it in conjunction with slow release T3 because my thyroid is low and my adrenals almost nonexistent. Apparently, just treating the thyroid, without treating the adrenals can be BAD.

Have been on both meds. for about 3 months now and am waiting for the latest path. results to see if there is any objective improvement. I THINK I have a little more energy. He said that it was only one step in treating my cfs, but that it might help. He also said that, in my case, I would not notice any improvement for at least 3 months. He thinks that it should help weight loss - not weight gain - but I have not lost any weight, but have not put on any either.

My doc. trialed me on cortisol 2 years ago and I could not handle the side effects - hot flushes, mood swings, all sorts of horrible stuff.

He put me on D3 - my levels were very low - and iodine drops for 6 months before starting this trial. I also take magnesium and calcium.

If you check my other posts, you will get more info. on cortisol and other people's experiences.
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

I am taking 10mgs every AM. I could not have said things better then Miss Victoria. The low dose we take does not present the side effects / extreme toxicity as seen with the high dose cortisol. In fact, the symptoms you listed were/are attributed to high dose hydrocortisone.Taking 20 or less mgs daily cortisol even for an extended period of time has been proven quite safe.

Dr. Teitlebaum also has had patients on cortisol for 12-18 months ... The goal here is to help HPA Axis heal ... Like Victoria said ... If symptoms return after a break you can stay on it indefinately.

Hope this helps ...... Elsa
  7. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i took 5 mg of cortisol daily for about 4 months. even though it's still considered a low dose, i couldn't move up to 10 mg without feeling wired right up to bedtime. while i agree it's completely safe at low doses for 6 months to a year, i have read that you run the same risk as with thyroid therapy of your glands becoming dependent on supplementation. imagine your glands (like workers on a production line) becoming lazy when they realize their job's been taken away from them. if you don't mind supplementing for the rest of your life, it's not an issue, but if your goal is to heal your glands so they can get back to work, consult with your doc and make sure you have a time frame in mind.

eddie
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

Yes, I have done research on this, and from what I have read micro-doses are suppose to be safe.

I am not on it for adrenals, it has helped somewhat with my feet pain, without it, I am bed-bound, so I guess it's a matter of quality of life here....

Thanks all for your knowledge here--

Laura