"""""anyone taking Amitriptyiine??"""""

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gmom605, Sep 23, 2005.

1. gmom605

gmom605 New Member

and if you are, has it help,any side affects? i would really like to know ,,,how this meds works,,thanks,,gmom this meds it`s for anti-dep.
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

and I developed an uncontrollable craving for sweets and gained 45 lbs. in 2 months. I went from 102 to 147 - size 3 to size 14.

It took a year to get the weight off. I was switched to Trazadone and took it instead of amitriptyline.

You will find that you will gain weight while on this drug if you are not careful. Most people who have taken it have gained weight.

Most fibro patients get this drug first.

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2005]
  3. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Even at a very small dose I was dopey during the day.

I gave it up for this reason.

It did not do any thing for my pain.

It is a standard prescribtion for fibro so it must work for many. Good luck Denamay
  4. SingFMAway

SingFMAway New Member

I've been on it for about 3 months. I take it at bed time to help my body relax and sleep better. I don't think I've noticed any side affects. I'm not any more sleepy during the day than I was before-- actualy I'm less sleepy! I used to be falling asleep at my desk constantly. My general level of pain has lowered as well thanks to the assistance with relaxing.

I started out on just 25mg and recently increased to 50mg. (I've also been on Zoloft for depression/ anxiety)

Good luck!

SingFMAway
  5. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I have used 12 mg for many years...and I have not gotten the weight gain everyone talks about, but I am a picky eater and only 25 years old:) I remember when I first started using it, I was a little groggy, but now I just take it about two hours before bed and I can sleep better and have less pain during the day. It's been the only drug that is effective. I used to take flexeril, but I like eavil better.
  6. ellie5320

ellie5320 New Member

I have been on amitriptyline since may 04. I have no side effects only dry mouth when first started taking it. 25 mgs to take 2 hrs before bed. as far as weight goes my weight went on before I was diagnosed I told dr I was not depressed just happy I had an answer to my pain etc he explained I have it to help relax my muscles and help in sleeping I don't think it does much tho
  7. Beckula

Beckula New Member

mayline, my weight fluctuated a lot too, but not to that extreme...I was at 140 in college and I have gotten as low as 128 (just a month or so ago). I am now at my usual 135 or so. I don't know if this med did anything to make my weight go up and down, I just go through different eating and exercise habits.
  8. Beckula

Beckula New Member

I really don't think it helped my headaches, I thought it was for deeper sleep and helping pain (not getting rid of it completely). I would not recommend it for migraines, IMO.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  9. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hiya
    i have been using amitriptyline for nearly three years now.
    started at a really low dose as didnt want that drugged feeling am now at 50mg.
    i only take it at night as it helps with sleep.
    you are right it is an anti-d BUT its a tricyclic anti-depressant which means it works to relax the muscles.
    we are in pain right, the pain by and large causes us to tense up hereby causing more pain and so a cycle is set off.

if you are concerned about the "stigma" behind taking anti depressants the starting dose is usually 75mg for depression and i believe thats the childs dose, i was started on 10mg and i havent noticed any side effects but if i dont take any at all then its going back to no sleep, the tossing and turning, waking back up often i have always hallucinated and had really awful dreams the amitriptyline seems to stop them although the big black bags under my eyes havent gone and i still dont wake up 'refreshed'.

all the best smiffy
  10. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

a year and it works well for me except for weight gain. I can take four a day in any number combination depending on my pain level. It helps me sleep and helps the RSD/CRPS pain. It is easy on my liver, also. I will beat up anyone who tried to take it away from me. LOL.
  11. joanierav

joanierav Member

i took elavil for 3 months, and was very dopey all during the next day. and yes i did gain a lot of weight on it. as far as the sleeping goes, it did put me right to sleep and then i was awake 3 hrs later, for the rest of the night. i did not like it, as i was taking it primarily for the sleep disorder. but it did take the fibro pain away. but it was not worth it, when i balanced that with the not being able to sleep. now i take lorazapam (ativan) for sleep and that seems to be working for me. on it 5 yrs now. hope this helps you gmom. good luck joanierav