Anyone taking anything for neuropathy other than.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ourplanet, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ourplanet

ourplanet New Member

Neurontin? I did take it for quite a while and while it did work reasonably well for a while the weight gain was unstoppable (about 75lbs) and I was 115lbs to start and I was starting to have blood sugar changes similar to Type2 diabetes due to weight gain. I really need to be on something similar again as the pain has become unbearable. Any ideas from the gallery? I would greatly appreciate any and all ideas. I am cuurently on Topamax (which I feel is doing nothing for pain at all, but I have had very few headaches) Ultram for breakthrough pain (but need to take 2 at a time to even put a dent in it) as well as Wellbutrin Sr and Ambien. DOn't know if these may cause any interactions, but at this point, none of them (besides Ambien) are really helping me enough that they couldn't be changed if they needed to be. Thanks all!
  2. 1horse

1horse New Member

cymbalta is used for depression and neuropathy. They uses it for many diabetics.
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I don't take anything except my FMS meds for it. I found out if I take Lortabs for the pain at night, the Lortab keeps me up most of the night. For some reason Lortabs give me energy.

If I watch what I eat and all I don't have that many problems, but we had pizza last night and that is a blood sugar killer for me.

I really don't want to try Topomax or the Neurontin. I have heard that Neurontin can make you really tired. My son was on Topomax for his neuropathy and it didn't help him at all. I'm already tired from just the FMS.

I wish I knew of something that would really help.

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

There is a new med out for neuropathy ... Lyrica.

I also take Cymbalta for neuropathy and fibro pain. I also take Neurotin, but it did not cause any weight gain.

5. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

When I first had symptoms of neuropathy [unrelated to my FMS], I was put on Neurontin and I took it for about 1 1/2 years with no results. That was 6 years ago.
    Now I take long-acting Morphine and Vicodin for breakthrough pain and Neurontin 300mg/3X daily. Neurontin has an additive effect with opioid narcotics and it is helping my neuropathy some [took about 3 months for me to notice].
    I don't think there is ONE good drug for neuropathy but I'm grateful to be getting a little relief.

Char
  6. tcluna

tcluna New Member

Benfotiamine works better than anything. Fat soluble Vitamin B1 is what this is. read up :)
  7. ourplanet

ourplanet New Member

What kind of dosage? I looked up some info and found some studies that showed about 320mg daily to be very effective for diabetic neuropathy. Any suggestions appreciated. And Thank you for the information. I very much appreciate the input!
  8. tcluna

tcluna New Member

600mg daily actually is optimal. in fact, there was a person with fibromyalgia in one of these case studies in the 90's who got relief from many of her symptoms. thats how i found out about it. it can take awhile to kick in , it may work by regenerating nerves to some extent.