Anyone Taking Digestive Enzymes ????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0808, Oct 23, 2009.

1. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I have been reading up about these and I am thinking of starting to take them.
    I joined a Tai Chi group and the teacher mentioned them to me when I said I had fibro.

I looked them up on PC and the info seems ok but I would rather ask you guys for your thoughts!!

Has anyone tried them and if so what was the result???

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I use both digestive enzymes & serrapeptase. The latter is great for flares that won't break.

There are a couple of potential issues w/digestive enz. First is food sensitivities -- some are derieved from fungus, or pineapple -- if you are allergic or sensitive that can be a problem.

Also if you have a very sensitive stomach, taking too much protease or betaine HCL (Often incl in digestive enz formulas) can cause real burning. Normally the stomach has a very protective mucin layer, but some people are compromised.

I think digestive enzymes are often helpful, but it's usually prudent to read labels, to start with a low dose and to increase it slowly.

Best wishes.

3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I have some, but I don't take them on a regular basis. I do take them when I start to experience indigestion, reflux, or any other symptoms that would indicate that my body isn't properly digesting whatever I just ate. They definitely seem to help, but I do agree with SnooZQ that there are precautions with using them.
  4. gongee

gongee New Member

I just went off Digestive Enzymes after being on them for a couple of weeks. Yes, it did help with my digestion, but the itching and burning of my entire body was horrible. At first I didn't put two and two together, but after waking up yesterday monring ok ( or as ok as anyone of us can be) , then taking the Digestive enzyme 30 minutes before breakfast, a big news flash went off in my head after starting to itch and burn all over with no relief. After not taking the enzymes since yesterday morning, my skin stuff is almost all gone away. So, no more for me. I am on a probiotic which has helped with my IBS, but I still have to be very careful what I eat - no yeast, no sugar, no dairy, no gluten (practically no nothing).

Good luck

Take care,

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2009]
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been taking them for several years. They have helped get my digestive system back on track. Before taking them I had chronic gallbladder problems and digestive issues.

For several years I took Digestabs by Puritan's Pride - it has both enzymes and hydrochloric acid. I needed the HCL as well as the enzymes - enzymes alone were not enough.

I swear by them and have never had a problem, but as with everything, it's probably good to start to slow to make sure you don't react badly to anything.

6. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hi Rena,
    Had an exteme digestion problem with many intolerances etc..Particular problem with even a teaspn of oil or fat.
    Started on Multizyme which has bile salts and this has allowed me to eat some fat.
    Other digestive enzymes were ineffective or I reacted to them.