anyone taking flexiril?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jofla, Aug 18, 2003.

1. jofla

jofla New Member

My doc prescribed 10mg of flexiril yesterday. I took 1/4 of it about 5:00 last nite. I had some pretty vivid dreams and woke up this morning with some pretty strange thoughts. It lasted for about 1/2 an hour and I was back to normal(as normal can be anyways!) I asked pharmacist about it today and he said since i took xanax an hr before that would do it,however when i looked at side effects on google, serious, but rare side effect is strange dreams and abnormal thoughts and to contact doctor right away! HMMM
    would appreciate it any thoughts of this if any have taken and have experienced anything like that. It seemed to help and would like to continue taking it. I am so ssensitive to meds and was hoping that this would be the one, but appears I may not be able to take it either?

Thanks,

Jo
  2. AnnG

AnnG New Member

I take 10 mg of flexeril everynight. I too, am very sensitive to meds (if I take 2 Advil I have to lay down!). Flexeril has improved my sleep so much I never skip a dose. I play around with my other meds, go on and off them, etc. But, never my flexeril! The only thing that I can think of is that your dose was too low. FM caused me to have weird and strange dreams that I remembered even after I woke. I take my dose about 30 minutes before bedtime so it has time to go down and start working. I hope this works for you too!
  3. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I have been taking this about 8+ years. Yes, I do notice more vivid and strange dreams when taking it. I only take 1/4 a tablet since half or a whole put me out for days. I figure the dreams at least mean I am doing some kind of sleeping instead of being awake all night.
  4. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

if you look back to yesterday's post there was quite a lengthy thread on Flexeril. The poster was echo2 if you want to do a search. Flexeril is commonly prescribed for Fibro. I have looked back through the archives and read a lot of the posts about it, and it seems that people have to give it some time and the side effects even them selves out.

I've been taking it a couple years. A couple months ago, upped the dose from 10 to 20 mg at bedtime. Works wonders.

I agree that perhaps your dose is not enough? How did you sleep other wise? I would trade staying asleep for 6-8 hours for the unusual dreams. Before Flexeril I had problems staying asleep for more than 45 minutes to an hour. Now, I rarely wake up all night long. Before Flexeril, I don't remember dreaming - I think it is because I never got into deep enough sleep to actually dream! Now I do.

Give it a reasonable chance - it took me about a month to get used to it when I first started taking it.
  5. elizabethia

elizabethia New Member

very possitive.. although my dose had to be incressed...to 20 mg before bed.. it really helps and i also have far out dreams... actually quit intertaining lol lol .... take care elizabeth
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I took Flexeril a couple of years ago and had an out-of-body experience one night. Flexeril is a cousin to the antidepressant, Elavil, and it can also cause rapid weight gain. I put on 20 pounds on the Elavil and anothe 20 pounds on Flexeril. Neither did anything for quality of sleep, although both made me feel sleepy.

I've switched to Klonopin which gives me good quality of sleep and decreases muscle spasms tinnitus, anxiety, and senory overload.

Love, Mikie
  7. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

I was one flexeril for years, my husband use to call me flex babe.? not sure why..hmmm let me think about that one. Anyway now I am on Soma and am so much happier, less of a Zombie, less side effects. I also take Klonopin to help with sleep.
    Best of luck
    Lisa

8. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi, I am on 10mg Flexeril as well. I do have the vivid dreams you describe but fortunately they are not nightmares (as I had on the Ambien) so I just laugh them off in the morning and say, well that was a strange one. I am one of those who dream in color and they are so vivid and detailed, I go from one dream to another. I figure if I am dreaming I am in Stage 4 sleep where I'm supposed to be. I am usually pretty rested in the morning. If I find that I'm feeling drowsy during the day, I just cut my dosage back to half a pill at night for a little while, say a week.

But everybody is different, some people have reactions to different things so I'd say if you're really bothered by the dreams ask doctor for something else. I think there are a lot of good meds out there; it just takes some experimenting to find the right one for you.

Michelle
  9. jofla

jofla New Member

was an out of body experience. thats how I would have liked to describe it to my hubby but he thinks that i am already out of my mind with this dd so i didn't dare add any more fuel to the fire.
    thank you everyone for your advice, i just know that i need to find something that will work for me.

Jo

[ advertisement ]