Anyone taking Klonopin for sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes46, May 22, 2012.

1. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

What dose, and how is it working for you?
    Also, what else are you taking in your sleep cocktail?
  2. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I used klonopin for 11 years on and off but just recently stopped using it because it no longer was effective and I had to keep upping the dosage. I used it during the day and used ambian at night. I use a lot of supplements now that I am very happy with. I only have klonopin for really bad days which is now only about once a week or less

Check out my post about GABA and sleep. Several people have posted what they use for sleep.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's all I need and I've been on the same dose forever. For me, it's been a miracle drug.

Love, Mikie
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

I swore never again would I go on a benzo after a nightmare event and hospital for a wk. However I am now on klonopin 1/4 of a 1mg tablet as it seems to be the only thing that works.

Sometime in the day I have taken it also to quite the sensory overload and spasms. Being extremely med senistive also is why.

Dr. Bell(?) recommends it. Most of the time it works ok .
  5. spacee

spacee Member

Dr. Cheney recommends Klonopin this way:

Order the rx of Klonopin in .5mg tablets. Take at least 2 at nite. For daytime
    brain fog, paradoxically 1/4 to 1/2 tab can improve brain cognitively.

Also to aid sleep: Doxepin Elixir (10mg/ml) Patients are very sensitive so
    start with 2 drops at night advancing for sleep improvement up to 1/c cc.

Also, Magnesium 200-500mg daily.

I saw Dr. Lapp at the Cheney Clinic back in 1991. I was already on Klonopin and he added the doxepin. I can take the klonopin but not the doxepin. I have a
    burning skin problem and the doxepin increases that pain.

So, my doc gives me xanax .5mg to help me sleep with the klonopin.

So it has been a long time for me. My Twin was seen by Cheney there. She
    had a paradoxical reaction in that it kept her from sleeping. All benzos did
    that reaction to her.

Seems to me that the majority of patients have a good reaction with Klonopin,
    but not all.

Hope you find something that works!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2012]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And my sleep test confirmed, that our brains' neurons misfire and overfire and this keeps us from being able to get into the normal sleep patterns. Cheney goes so far as to say this misfiring and overfiring causes early death of the neurons and that the Klonopin help protect our brains.

All I wanted was a good night's sleep but there were so many bonus benefits from the Klonopin. It stopped the tinnitus, anxiety, sensory overload and muscle spasms. I carry little pieces of it with me and if I get into a store or restaurant that has harsh lighting, is noisy, or there is lots of movement and confusion, I put a piece of it under my tongue and it calms everything down right away. Both my doc and my pharmacist told me this is a good, and safe, way to take the med. It made the difference between being able to go out and having to stay at home when my illnesses were so bad.

The longer one takes Klonopin, the better it works. I don't like being on a drug which involves physical dependence and difficult withdrawal if I ever want to go off of it but the benefits far outweigh this risk for me.

Love, Mikie
  7. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

These days with a relapse and subsequent depression I find even a very low dose 0.125mg increases my depression significantly.
    Zn and mag work well for sleep and a Metagenics product
  8. spacee

spacee Member

She is correct. The right amount is .5mg NOT 5mg.

Love you,girl. You always make me laugh!!

9. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I am a patient of Dr. Lapp's. I am on doxepin and klonopin. I have been on the kolonopin for ten years. I developed Restless Leg Syndrome and was told the klonopin would help and also it would give me better sleep.

Well, he was right on both points. And I too have not had to increase my dosage.

If I get adreneline rushes (as I tend to when I am coming out of a relapse) I take a quarter to half of a 1mg tablet of klonopin and it stops it.

I have not noticed any side effects from using the drug but everyone's chemical makeup is different of course. Your doctor knows your history and is the best one to help you decide if it's something ou want to try.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Have a neurological component as well as immune or autoimmune components. According to Dr. Cheney, if we don't address the neurological component, we are at risk of neuron damage and early neuron death. There are other drugs but for many of us, Klonopin has been a God send. I did a lot of digging online and showed Dr. Cheney's article to my doc before he prescribed Klonopin for me. If the peptide injections completely heal me, it will be interesting to see whether i still need the Klonopin and how easy it would be to wean off.

Love, Mikie

11. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi all,

This has been very enlightening information and a lot to take in. I am experiencing worsening light sensitivity that is getting very difficult to cope with. Do you know where I can get in-depth information about Dr. Cheney's Protocol? All I'm finding are small articles on the pro-health library that give little snippets of info that are not very detailed. Thank you!

12. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

After reading this thread about Klonopin I'm wondering if it may be something I need to try. I recently had some visual episodes that sent me to the ER twice, many tests later I'm still not sure what it was.

They did discover a small cyst on the left side of the brain but aren't sure if this is the cause of the eye episodes. I see a neuro next month.

The reason I'm writing in this thread is becuase two doctors think the episodes might have been ocular migraines. When both episodes occurred I was looking at bright screens, one was the tv and the other, the computer screen. I've had CFS/FM for over 30 years and my light and noise sensitivites are getting a lot worse at times.

If Klonopin would help, that would be great. I don't want to take a benzo because of the physical dependency and withdrawal. Is this a benzo? GB66
  13. sagallagherwarden

sagallagherwarden New Member

I take .5 clonopin at nite and have for years; stopped working so now I take .5 clonopin and 1 tab low dose remeron. works well.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure Dr. Cheney has a protocol for taking the Klonopin. He just recommends it. His article on the benefits of Special K is in the library here. Do a search there to find it.

Love, Mikie

Go to
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2012]
  15. Boodle

Boodle New Member

I have taken Klonapin for sleep for 9 years now. I started at 1mg, but after I broke my ankle, I went up to 2 mg. I know that seems like a lot, but I SLEEP WELL! I fall asleep, and I stay asleep. I also can get by on 6 hrs. some nights because my quality of sleep is better.

It is a drug used by people with OCD and/or ruminating thoughts. If you just can't get your mind to shut off at night, it is particularly helpful. As for addiction issues... I'm 58 years old. I don't care if I have to take this the rest of my life. My liver counts have always been great, and I get them done twice a year. More sleep = less pain and depression. Like Mikey said, I am willing to take the trade off.
  16. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I really appreciate the website and extra info. It's a lot to take in. I noticed that Dr. Cheney recommends the BRAND form of Klonopin and NOT the generic.

Are y'all taking the brand? Is anyone taking the generic? Thanks so much!

Love, Erika
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

See my post on the other thread on this regarding addiction.

BTW, it was after a sleep study showed that my brain couldn't shut down at night that my doc ordered Klonopin for me

Love, Mikie
  18. supersport333

supersport333 New Member

Asked by a doctor specializing in Chronic Fatigue about sleep I described it this way:

I go to bed and fall asleep within a few minutes, I wake up after two and a half hours because my legs hurt either slightly or a lot. As the timing is always very close to two and a half hours and degree of pain is so different, I assume the pain comes on rather quickly. I get up and spend about 40 minutes on the computer and then can go back to sleep for about two hours. I then wake to the same problem, I thus must fight my way through the night.

With Clonazepam: I take one half of a 2 mg tablet before bed and sleep seven and a half hours without moving (sometimes six and a half, occasionally 8).

I discovered Clonazepam cost the same at Costco (per 100) whether 1 mg or 2 mg so I asked my doctor to prescribe 2 mg and I get 200 doses for about $14.00 and change.

I tried to quit Clonazepam several times but failed until I resigned myself to sleeping a few hours at a time (as before). After fighting my way through the night for about three months I asked myself which was better, the fight-night or looking forward to a good night’s sleep. Given the cost was no problem the answer was simple. I’ve now been taking Clonazepam for at least 12 years.
  19. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have taken 0.75 mg of klonopin for about 6 years now for sleep and pain. My doctor precribed me the 0.5mg tablets and instructed me to start at 0.25mg and work my way up slowly until I achieved good sleep and pain relief. She said I could take up to 1mg, so I am still under the max I can take. I may need to increase it because I have been having a lot of increased pain lately. But that dose has "held" me for 6 years.

I also take Ambien CR at night for sleep. I actually started that before the klonopin.

I don't do well with klonopin during the day, so I have xanax for "breakthrough" anxiety. I only need that every now and then, maybe once or twice a month.