anyone taking more than one "benzo"??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Jan 14, 2010.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I take Klonopin for CFS & Dalmane for sleep, but need something to help w/pain after huge stressful event. Can't tolerate the common ones, as I have gastritis.

But I remember years ago I was able to tolerate Valium, and it was prescribed for my gastritis.

My Dr. told me she couldn't prescribe another Benzo as she's afraid I'll overdose!! Having dealt w/CFS/Fibro/Lupus, etc., etc. for 35 years, if I was going to overdose, I would've done it by now.

Any feedback appreciated.

2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I wonder if your doctor meant that she is afraid it would be an accidental overdose.

I've taken a benzo on and off over the years, but never 2 at the same time. I believe it would be like a double dose. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I wouldn't take 2 at the same time. That would scare me!

Have you thought about trading off your klonopin for valium? Maybe your doc would consider that.

Good luck to you. Stay safe.

3. spacee

spacee Member

I have taken klonopin and xanax together for over 20 years. The klonopin sorta "wakes me up" so I take the xanax to help get me to sleep.

I am lucky to have a doc who was willing to rx it.

At this age, I feel I am building up a tolerance to the xanax, so I take tylenol and it helps get me in a deeper sleep. I can tell cause of the vivid dreams I have.

Cheney uses Klonopin and doxepin...a few drops of the liquid to help get into a deeper sleep. He says that 2 or 3 things of smaller amounts work together better than a big dose of one thing. He has stuck with that for over 20 years.

4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Yep Aussie...........been dealing w/Lupus which in itself overreacts to everything; much less add CFS & Fibro.

I've avoided drugs most of my life. First one being Klonopin many years ago; great results; then had to add a sleeper; my Dalmane that also works great.

But going thru 4 huge stresses that would take most people to off themselves, my pain just wasn't manageable with natural remedies. So this very caring lDr. just has no clue how bad it is, and is afraid I'll overdose. Well little does she know that I'm taking a "ton" of things to bring me down, and after 35 yrs of needing more, I surely would've taken myself out by now.,

And bottom line, if I want to, I have many recipes of how to do it. Anyway, finally got a month's worth of valium which has helped my pain alot; at least I can sleep more now. But wonder what she's going to do after the month is up?

So grateful I live in Calif so our mother plant helps me alot as well. I'll just "overdose" on that!!(lol)

Like we need these people to "understand"??? Me thinks it's rare, and so very frustrating.
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm seldom here anymore, but saw your post and remembered your name.'s hard to find a doctor who really gets it.

I'm a veteran of an aggressive kind of Leukemia---twice---and a bone marrow transplant---once. So for me, a benzo med brings relief not from physical pain as in your case, but from anxiety, as relapse again is a very real possibility for me, and is somewhat haunting, I admit.

My oncologist understands to a point---but not so much. She's a Leukemia expert, but the mental/emotional piece---that's something else again. I finally found a therapist who specializes in cancer recovery---and she's a Nurse Practitioner as well as a clinical social worker, who gets, totally, the anxiety part, and isn't afraid to prescribe what you need. Sleep is critical---pain relief (in your case) is critical---to healing and quality of life. She gets this.

Have you searched out somebody like this who specializes in dealing with cancer or chronic illnesses? I'm just thinking that she isn't one of a kind, there has to be others like her who know what dealing with illness for years is like. BTW, I take a low dose of Ativan every night; it helps with sleep, keeping me on an even keel. She also gave me a low dose of Xanax for daytime use, but I find I don't need it, Ativan at night's enough. But I mention the Xanax because you asked about more than 1 benzo---she suggested the low-dose Xanax 3x daily, then Ativan at night. Didn't need all that now, but not ruling out that I might at some point.

I at least feel like I'm trying to manage the anxiety, not it managing me. for you, it's about YOU managing the pain, not it running YOU. Good luck to getting the relief you need. Frustrating, I agree.

6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I've taken a small dose of Klonopin for over 10 years and have not found stronger dosage helpful or necessary (if it was helpful I would have asked for it.).

I also VERY ocassionally use Ambien. I habbituate to Ambien VERY Quickly and so can only take it for 1 or two nights maybe every 2 weeks (or less).

I have NEVER needed to increase my dosage of clonazapan (Klonopin), a higher dosage is not helpful, but without the .5 mg., I would never get the few hours of sleep I get now. My hard-core insomnia began at age 18, and was not relieved until I begged for therapuetic relief (at any cost) when I was age 50. I have taken clonozapin since then with not one need to increase the dosage. For my comfort zone (travel, life crises) I also like to have Ambien on-hand, but I cannot take it more than once a week, beyond that it is useless to me.

Point is....I've taken TWO benzos, simultaneously when necessary, and at age 63 I don't think that either...or the COMBINATION have had an impact on my already compromised life.