Anyone taking NEURONTIN and LYRICA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Luvkitty, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Luvkitty

Luvkitty New Member

I currently take 3000mg (Yep...that's right...THREE THOUSAND!!) of Neurontin, and my doctor recently gave me a prescription for Lyrica, as well. I'm supposed to ADD the Lyrica to the Neurontin, but since I'm on such a extremely high dosage of Neurontin already, I was concerned about adding the Lyrica. The goal, if the Lyrica works, is to slowly get rid of the Neurontin and stick with the Lyrica.

So, I'm curious if anyone that has mentioned being on Lyrica has been on Neurontin before or at the same time? If so, I'm wondering what types of side-effects you had when adding the Lyrica and what your dosages were on both. Have any of your doctors discussed the fact that this is a newly FDA approved medication? That's another concern of mine. What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks so much!! Hope you're all having less painful days today!

Hugs,
    Luvkitty
  2. sdown

sdown New Member

Hi, Ive been on neurontin for 4 years. Doc started me on 300 mg a day for lack of concentration and focusing and irritability. Im now slowly coming off it. I take 1 - 100 mg pill every 3rd day. You have to come off it very slowly the doctor said. So far so good.
  3. Luvkitty

Luvkitty New Member

I just wanted to thank you for your reply and to wish you luck with your continued decrease from Neurontin. Hang in there!!

Hugs,
    Luvkitty
  4. sdown

sdown New Member

Appreciate your reply - very thoughtful. Neurontin has helped me with brain fog alot. Doc has me on chlorella and chlorophyll. Helps detox metals and the body in general. I think it takes a few months to see results like anything else. Take care.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Only the Neurotin, and only 300 mg 3 x day.

And ... you're taking 3000 mg/day? WOW!! That is an awful lot!! Why does he have you on soooooo much? What other meds are you on, too?

I always thought that Lyrica is just a new, improved, Neurotin. If so, why would he want you to take Lyrica in addition to that monsterous dose of neurotin?

The Neurotin really helps my fibro pain. I love it and just plan to stick with it!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. Luvkitty

Luvkitty New Member

Hi Janet! Thanks for your reply to my post about Neurontin and Lyrica. To answer your question about why I'm on such a high dose, it's because I've been having VERY SEVERE pain flares with my condition. I actually have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, and the pain is often unbearable.

You asked what I take other than Neurontin. Here's the list:

Neurontin 3000mg a day
    Buprenorphine 32mg a day
    Wellbutrin 200mg a day
    Zoloft 100mg a day
    Levothroid
    Colace 500mg a day
    Dulcolax 10mg a day

You also were wondering about why my doctor would put me on Lyrica along with the Neurontin I already take. Lyrica is supposed to have less side-effects than Neurontin, for one. It's also supposed to be better than Neurontin for some of my symptoms, so the plan is to see if the Lyrica helps, and if it does then I will go off the Neurontin and stay on Lyrica. Only problem is that I'm afraid to take the Lyrica since it's a new drug. You know what I mean? With all the drug recalls all the time it worries me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, yet which is why I'm trying to get people's experiences with the drug.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks again for answering my post. Take care, and have a less painful day.

Hugs,
    Michele
  7. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

I am surprized your Dr. is putting you on both Neurontin and Lyrica. Pharmacist told me the active ingredients of both are very similar. I tried Neurontin and was not impressed. Have been on Lyrica for 6 weeks...slowly worked up to 300 mg per day; 150mg am/pm. I think it is helping me....seems to act as an antidepressant, and helps with the pain. Not happy that it has not helped much with insomnia so far, but I may need to up the dosage. Problem with Lyrica is the expense, blurred vision and balance problems, and it is so new that no one at my HMO knows anything about it.
  8. Please do a search on this message board, & you'll find plenty of posts on Lyrica, or, I'm sure you'll also get plenty of replies to your post on it also, I will also give you my experience tomarrow, after i'm rested and I can think.

Another think, yes, Lyrica is very similar in chemical make up to neurontin, so much that, Pfizer was calling it "the new neurontin" (just as Trileptal was called the 'new tegretol' or a cousin of 'tegretol' when it first came out, only with fewer side effects, years ago.)

I'm very sorry to hear you have RSD, that truly is a painful disorder.

3,000mg will be quite a dose to wean down from, but, it can be done. I have a lot of friends who have been on or are currently on 3,600mg, for their MS nerve pain & other issues, & some for slight seizures and neuropathies too. My aunt was only able to go upto 2700mgs then didn't like the sides from it, but she was on trazedone & other meds.

Anyways, I'm very tired right now, so, as I said, I will type more tomarrow, if you do not get more replies on Lyrica experiences.

((((((Hugs))))))) take care.

Laura