Anyone taking Neurotin? I have question for you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Carlacat, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

When is the best time to take first dose? Bedtime I was thinking. This is my first pill so I dont know what to expect. Thanks
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

Whenever I begin a new med or change a dosage my doc is very clear about when and how to take it, how to increase it, etc. He puts it all in writing for me. He always sends me home with an updated list of all my meds which I keep and hand out to any medical people I see before the next appointment.

I would suggest you call your doc about when to take your meds instead of asking us. There are various reasons for your taking it at different times.

Barbara
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

My doctor started me on 100mg about an hour before bedtime. He then slowly upped the dosage to 300mg three times a day. I experienced no obvious side effects, but your mileage may vary. Hope it helps you.
    Kathryn
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

Thanks for your replies. Yes he did started me out on 300 mgs once daily but I was just wondering if it made anyone sleepy so I will just take it at bedtime.
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  5. healing

healing New Member

I have been on Neurontin for years. I take 300 mg in the a.m., 800 at 7:30 pm, and another 300 at bedtime. I have suffered from sleepiness only when my docs had me taking 300 mg. three times daily. This way, I get the biggest dose towards bedtime, when I need it for sleep. Many mornings, I wake up tired, but that is nothing new for any of us! My docs did work me up to this dose over months, however....Good luck with it -- I hope it does you a world of good, as it has me!
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

upon waking, 1 pill, 300 mg, at around 1 pm, 300 mg and eve, around 7 or 8, 300 mg, I did get a little tired the first few days, not anymore though.

I think it really helps for energy, I seem to be able to function much longer each day than before.

Jaci
  7. PEANUTS50

PEANUTS50 New Member

My doctor has ordered Neurontin for me and I take it 3 times a day. I take my last dose just before bedtime. Ask your doctoe which is best for you.
  8. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I had tried Neurontin a few months back and it didn't work for me at all. My doc started me out at 300mg. 3x day, but I could only manage doing it twice a day for two days. I can't imagine taking any more! I felt like a drunken zombie, could barely even walk!

After reading a few of these posts, I'm wondering if I should try it again only at 100 mg. My question is, will I still have to take it on a regular basis (like 3 times a day) because I noticed some only have to take it once a day and does it help people sleep?

My reasons for taking it before were because I was having nerve pain and numbness along with headaches, insomnia and the rest of the CFS/FMS symptoms and my doctor thought it might help a lot. It's been said to be a miracle drug for a lot of people with these DD's and just wonder how miraculous it can really be. Maybe my dose was just too high?

~LISA
  9. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

My doc has me taking small dose then working up to a higher dose over time. Maybe taking that much at first is what made you so drugie. My doc has me taking it 300 for 1st week then 600 second week and on til I'm up to 1800mgs a day. I took it last night before bedtime and laid there for a while then all I knew it was morning so I need to start taking mine around 7:00pm or 8:00pm but it did make me sleep better.
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My doctor has me taking it at 100 mgs. at bedtime. She did not tell me to increase it, and it is not doing anything, so I just called this morning and asked to be told when to up the dose and by how much.
    Klutzo
  11. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

I just started neurontin yesterday 1/3/03 and taake it one half hour before bedtime. also started with Ambien(for stage 4 sleep) and had the firdt nights sleep w/o being up every hour or so in probable 3-4 months! I felt rested too
    which I haven't felt in ages, so I am hoping this is a good sign...

Hope you have good luck too.Also give yourself time to get adjusted to a new med.

Will pray for you. 1maqt

ps

PS: I am 58, and had FMS etc. for 28 yrs. This is a God send for me.Never had good meds before.
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

My doctor started me at 100 mg. at bedtime and now I'm up to 300 mg. I don't know if she plans to increase it - she didn't say that when I saw her. But I have a follow-up appt. last month. I was also weaning off of Trazadone and lowered that to 50 mg. at bedtime. I called her yesterday because I'm not falling asleep fast enough like I did before. So she suggested I up the Trazadone to 75 mg. at bedtime. Well, I did that last night and it worked. So far, so good.....................

Annette2
  13. Rosesark

Rosesark New Member

I started at 300mg 3 times a day, then had to slowly increase it to 18oomg daily. It has helped some. i was not offered any pain meds by the neurologist who increased it. He told me that it may help my pain by 50%. I hope it does, but i don't know what can be done for the terrible weakness i have in my legs. Good Luck. Rose
  14. Take it at bedtime. Usually take it for a week then they gradually up it the next, etc. Until you reach the dosage they want you at. It really does help! Give it a fair chance.