Anyone taking Norco?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jun 17, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I have been on Norco for about 2 months now. I have slowly started to notice that I was having issues with obsessive thinking. It has gotten really bad over the last week. My psychiatrist thinks it is from the Norco.

I called my NP this morning, and she offered to send me something called Zydone. The pharmacy said that they couldnt get it until Monday, and that it would cost $280.00! OMG.

So I called them back and she said that she would send me lortab again. (that is what I was on before I started the Norco back in April). She also said that I had to take less than before. Well what I was on before wasnted working anymore. I have been on 8 tablets a day for over 18 months. Now they expect me to cut down? This is really getting old!

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else has takine Norco, and had any bad side effects from it!

Thanks, Julie
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Julie,
    I took Norco for quite a while and it worked well for me - better than Lortab. I didn't have any bad side effects so I can't help you there. I wonder why the Norco would cause you obsessive thinking?

I don't even know what Zydone is?

Why would your NP tell you that you had to take less Lortab than before?? I'm assuming your Norco dose is higher than your Lortab? Has your Dr. considered Percocet?

This pain med thing and getting it just right is just a pain. No pun intended.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I took Norco for almost 3 yrs, gradually having to take more and more due to tolerance issues. That was the main problem w it for me, always eventually needing to take more for the same relief. Also, when it wears off, pain is worse than ever.

It did help w my energy levels (probably due to decreased pain). I did decide to stop taking it tho and detoxed over a month or so, the last wk in the hospital. I've been off narcotics for 16 mos and my pain levels have actually decreased since my pain receptors/brain chemistry leveled back out. I would have never believed this to be true, but I do feel better overall. Occasionally I could still use some type of pain meds, but I wouldn't want to take them regularly, everyday like I used to...I must admit I got to where I'd take them to mellow out, not just for the pain. My body became so dependent on those 4 hr doses, it was awful.

All of these darned meds effect our brain chemistry differently, so maybe this one just didn't agree w your system. I hope you feel better soon.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2011]
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

No the lortab was the same as the norco, the only difference is the tylenol. The lortab that I was on was the 10/500. The norco is 10/325.

I thought the norco was working better than lortab, but this started. My psychiatrist thought that since it was the only new medication that I have been taking, that it was the problem. The NP said she thought that I might be allergic to the dye in the norco.

I did do a research on the ingrediences in lortab and norco, and could only find 2 differences in the 2. The dye, and something called magesium stearate that is in norco, and not lortab.

The NP did say that sometimes even generics are all different, so they could have something in them that are not in the name brands. I always use generic, because of the cost.

I just wish that I could understand why they want to cut me down on the lortab. It wasnt working as good, and now I am going to be in bed more and more, and doing less and less. I can hardly hold my 18 month old grandson now, with less pain meds, its going to be a lot harder.

5. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I just found this web site that listed other meds with hydrocodone in them. I was amazed at how many there are.

I sure wish that I could understand this, but I guess I will find out when I go see her in July.

Yes finding the right meds is a PAIN! LOL. I was doing ok on the lortabs. After a year and a half, they were getting somewhat less effective, but I was ok. Then I saw the doctor and he said that I needed to try the Norco, because it had less tylenol.

This is the list of meds that all contain hydrocodone: Anexsia, Dolorex Forte, Hycet, Liquicet, Lorcet 10/650, Lorcet Plus, Lortab 10/500, Lortab 2.5/500, Lortab 5/500, Lortab 7.5/500, Lortab Elixir, Maxidone, Norco, Polygesic, Stagesic, Vicodin, Vicodin ES, Vicodin HP, Xodol, Xodol 5, Zydone

I just hope that something will work. Since I am getting less pills, I may have to take them more often. Every 4 hours in stead of more, every 5 to 6 hours. I just PRAY that it works!