Anyone taking Nortriptilyne (Pamelor)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cookie3, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

I have just been put on Pamelor and was wondering if anyone has had any trouble with this med or if any success stories. I took it a long time ago for migraines and it was ok, but now 20 years later I react to meds so differently. I was put on Elavil and was soooo groggy the next morning and it did not help me to sleep,so I am worried that I may have the same side effects with this med also, since they are in the same family of drugs. Thanks ahead for the info.
  2. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I was taking low dose of Nortryptiline and lexapro for almost three years. I did well for a while. Unfortunately I was taken off of both. I let the doctor talk me into it because I have gained a lot of weight. Probably more from lexapro thogh. The nortryptiline was too tiny of a dose. Both ere prescribed to control my pain. I suffered terrible burning pain in my arms, chest and abdomen. I have never known a pain like this. I was given Neurontin, but only after a second pill I ended up in the emergency room with ataxia. Now I have been off both Nortryptiline and lexapro for about 6 months.
    At first I did not noticed any difference. I had pain before, and I had pain after. Now however, I started to wander if I made a big mistake. My fibro flared up and the pain along with other symptoms I have not had for a long time are much worse. The reason this doctor tried to get me off these two, is because in his opinion I should only be on one AD not two. He suggested Cymbolta, but I have not yet taken him up on it. Still debating if I should go back to my original two that were prescribed by another doctor. Anyway, This is too long of an answer to your simple question.

If I were you, I would try it. Go low dose at first. But as any of the things we have tried, so far no miracle cure.

Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  3. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I was just put on 10mg, because my doc knows that I have tried every antidepress. on the market and felt worse, so he is just trying this as a last resort. Thanks again and I hope you feel better.
  4. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Cookie....I, too, was on Nortriptyline and Cymbalta. I just weaned myself off of Cymbalta as of Monday (80 mg per day) as it was causing some long-term problems (dry mouth, terrible for my teeth, O libido, etc). I am still on Nortriptyline (75 mg) per day for migraine prevention and sleep. I still have a very dry mouth...maybe it will go away, but I am going down to 50 mg Nortriptyline...it's so hard to balance the positives and the negative side effects!!

The doctor just put me back on Elavil for sleep...25 mg/night. I have used this for years and have had no problem except for I take it early in the evening or I have the "groggies" that you mentioned!!

Good luck....I wish we could just toss all of our meds out the window! B
  5. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

For me, the negative side effects like dry mouth went away. It took a long time, but they did. Now that I will have to go back on something... i will most likely go through that again. But know, that in smaller dosage, it should not be so bad. Also, depending how you react to any particular AD, some may be better taken in the morning, and some at night. I would take lexapro in the morning, and Nortryptiline at night. But I have a friend who could not take lex in the morning because than she wanted to sleep all day, so she switched to taking it at night. Do not give up too quickly, because sometimes it takes time for our bodies to adjust to these meds.
  6. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I was taken it for 2 months in the begining before I was dx with FM and it was no help at all not even for sleeping.

Jake
  7. zerped

zerped New Member

My doctor explained to me that a person is either "a nortriptaline person" or a "amitrytaline person." In other words, if one isn't working for you then the other one will. I've been taking amitrytaline(elavil) for 3.5 years and it's beena big help. I'm taking 125 mg each day, and I break it up; I take half of my meds during the day, right before my "scheduled nap" time. If you're not working, this is great, because you don't have that "knocked out" feeling when you get up in the morning.
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Can take Amtryptiline no problem when needed, but the nortryptiline kept me awake and wired all night long, for three days. When I told the neuro he was full of disbelief, but it did happen that way-it was a low dose too. My next door neighbor took it and she was fast asleep in ten minutes......

Different strokes, Good luck
    Crom