Anyone taking Serax?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jadibeler, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I don't know if that is the correct spelling. I'm sort of doing double duty here, collecting info for my computerless cousin. She has severe CFS and that is what her doctor has had her on for years. But he won't give her any of the other medications that would help with such things as sleep and her terrifying nightmares (such as Ambien) because he says they will "interfere with the Serax". He apparently won't take her off of it because of the withdrawal she would go through - if she is even a little late with a dose she starts shaking. I just have a feeling that this is not a good drug, and she really needs the help of others, but I'd like some input if anyone is familiar with it.

JoAnn
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

this should help you help your cousin about this medication.
    You did have the spelling correct! Hope this helps her.

As you will see the common names are Librium and Valium. Nothing new here, just a name 'change', and yes this will be hard to come off of.

Shalom, Shirl

------------------------------------------------------------

SERAX ORAL
    Uses & Dosage
      Uses from First Databank

Labeled Uses

Alcohol Withdrawal Psychosis
    Anxiety

Unlabeled Uses

Uses from AHFS DI™
    Oxazepam shares the actions of other benzodiazepines and is used for the management of agitation associated with acute alcohol withdrawal and for the management of anxiety disorders or for the short-term relief of symptoms of anxiety or anxiety associated with depressive symptoms. Anxiety or tension associated with the stress of everyday life usually does not require treatment with an anxiolytic. The efficacy of oxazepam for long-term use (i.e., longer than 4 months) has not been evaluated. The need for continued therapy with the drug should be periodically reassessed.Dosage and Administration from AHFS DI™

Administration
    Oxazepam is administered orally in divided doses.
    Dosage
    Dosage of oxazepam must be individualized, and the smallest effective dosage should be used (especially in geriatric or debilitated patients and in those with low serum albumin) to avoid oversedation.For the symptomatic treatment of mild to moderate anxiety, the usual adult dosage of oxazepam is 10–15 mg 3 or 4 times daily. For severe anxiety or the management of agitation associated with acute alcohol withdrawal, 15–30 mg may be given 3 or 4 times daily. In geriatric patients, oxazepam therapy should be initiated with 10 mg 3 times daily and increased to 15 mg 3 or 4 times daily, if necessary. In patients who have received prolonged (e.g., for several months) oxazepam therapy, abrupt discontinuance of the drug should be avoided since manifestations of withdrawal can be precipitated; if the drug is to be discontinued in such patients, it is recommended that dosage be gradually tapered.Dosage of oxazepam for children 6–12 years of age has not been clearly established.

------------------------------------------------------------

SERAX ORAL
    Patient Handout

BENZODIAZEPINES - ORAL

The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate, or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.

Common Brand Name(s):
    Librium, Serax, Tranxene SD, Valium

Uses
    This medication is used to relieve nervousness and tension or improve sleep disturbances. It is also used to relieve symptoms of alcohol withdrawal such as tremors, or used as an anticonvulsant or skeletal muscle relaxant.

How to Take this Medication
    Take with food or milk if stomach upset occurs. Take exactly as prescribed. Do not increase your dose or take more often than prescribed. Tolerance may develop to this medication making it less effective with prolonged use. For insomnia, take 30 to 60 minutes prior to bedtime. Do not stop taking this medication without your doctor's approval. Your dose may have to be gradually decreased if you have been taking it for some time.

Side Effects
    This medication causes drowsiness and dizziness. Avoid tasks requiring alertness. Other side effects may include: stomach upset, blurred vision, headache, confusion, depression, impaired coordination, change in heart rate, trembling, weakness, memory loss, hangover effect (grogginess), dreaming or nightmares. Notify your doctor if you develop: chest pain, change in heart rate, vision changes, yellowing of the eyes or skin. In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to this drug, seek medical attention immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Precautions
    Before using this drug, tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: liver or kidney disease, drug allergies. Alcohol or other sedative-type drugs can lead to extreme drowsiness. Limit alcohol consumption. Elderly persons are usually more sensitive to the effects of this medication. Use cautiously. This medication is not recommended for use during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Since this medication may appear in breast milk, consult with your doctor before breast-feeding.

Interactions
    Tell your doctor of all prescription and nonprescription drugs you may use, especially of: cimetidine, digoxin, disulfiram, levodopa, seizure medication, sleeping pills, narcotic pain medication (e.g., codeine), medication for depression, barbiturates, tranquilizers, sedatives, certain drowsiness-causing antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine), drugs used to treat allergies or colds, alcohol use. Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Smoking can decrease the effectiveness of this drug. Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.

Overdose
    If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately. Symptoms of overdose may include unconsciousness, reduced reflexes, drowsiness, loss of coordination, or confusion.

Notes
    Do not share this medication with others.

Missed Dose
    If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose. Do not "double-up" the doses. If taking for seizures, take dose if remembered within 1 hour of the missed dose but do not take if remembered after 1 hour has elapsed.

Storage
    Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from moisture and sunlight. Do not store in the bathroom.

3. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

Now I understand. Librium!? Wow, no wonder! I was put on that by a shrink (Freudian - what a jerk!) in the late 60's. He actually allowed me to regulate my own dose! Naturally, I took a lot of it! I couldn't get up from my nap to go pick up my son in preschool and other mothers finally banned me from driving their kids!

I decided to stop it, which I just did cold turkey, and I was a basket case. My mother was over a couple days later and said "If this is what you are like on that medicine, you'd better stop it". I snapped "No, this is what I'm like without it!" - meaning, my original problems; withdrawal didn't enter my mind.

Now, the strange part of this story is that this day and this incident is the last memory I have of that period of my life. . .I have no idea what happened after that. The ex wouldn't remember and no one else left to give me any insight into what happened to me for the next few weeks.

JoAnn