Anyone taking Soma muscle relaxant?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Jul 10, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've never been able to tolerate these type of drugs, but can't seem to get on top of a back/leg/hip injury.

Curious how this has worked for you, and if it bothers your stomach.

Thanks & LIGHT*************carole
  2. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I use it. 2 at night to help with the muscle cramps in my legs. It does work well for me (i've tried other M.R.'s but they didn't work as well). I agree though that they don't have a long period of effectiveness, so i have to take them and then try to get to sleep within 2 hours, or they will wear off, and my pain will come back. I haven't noticed any stomach problems with it, and i do have a sensitive stomach in general.

The generic isn't too expensive, so i'd recommend trying it and seeing how it works for you. Especially when you start taking it, it CAN make you a little loopy, so you'll want to take it and get in bed right away. This isn't something i'd take during the day when i need to have to focus on stuff.
  3. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I've been taking soma nightly for awhile now and it does let relax the muscles more in my back, but I have to use a thermaphore heating pad and pain meds to relieve the pain.

I never had soma upset my stomach.

Good luck,

Sandy
  4. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've been taking Soma for years now (generic). Not had any side effects at all from it. My Rx is written for 1, 4x each day. Usually I take 1 in the am when I wake up cuz I'm so stiff and sore, and another at bedtime.

When I have unusually bad spasms I always have a reserve to fall back on if I need them, and I have needed to take extras from time to time. Last night I took 2 at bedtime, for example.

I tried Flexeril in the past -- did nothing for me. I've tried other MRs that are supposed to be stronger, Zanaflex is one that I can think of offhand. Nothing seemed to work any better to warrant me changing, and the others all came with differing side effects. I'll stick with the Soma.

mar
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Think I'll try a really low dose of this; sounds like it's the most popular one from your posts.

Thanks for the info.

LIGHT************carole
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i tried taking soma and it worked really well for about 2 hours and then the muscle spasms came right back. you can't tke them that close together so wearing f that quick wasn't goo. now i take robaxin and it works much better so if soma doesn't work for you maybe try that.
    rachel