Anyone taking Trazodone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by themarce, Dec 4, 2002.

1. themarce

themarce New Member

Just wanted everyone to know that since I have begun taking Trazodone for my chronic pain caused by FM, back problems and osteoarthritis I feel great. That is, most of the time. It is especially great for getting proper sleep which we all lack. I can't believe that I am finally sleeping through the night. Pain used to wake me up every 2-3 hours! Would love to hear about your experiences with this drug.
    Cheers, TheMarce
  2. themarce

themarce New Member

Just wanted everyone to know that since I have begun taking Trazodone for my chronic pain caused by FM, back problems and osteoarthritis I feel great. That is, most of the time. It is especially great for getting proper sleep which we all lack. I can't believe that I am finally sleeping through the night. Pain used to wake me up every 2-3 hours! Would love to hear about your experiences with this drug.
    Cheers, TheMarce
  3. kardog

kardog New Member

I've been taking Traz for sleep off and on for about 4 yrs. I only take 50mg before bedtime and it definitely helps. After I take it for a few weeks I notice that it doesn't work as well, I guess I build up a resistance to it. Also it kind of gives me a hangover, so I try to take it by 7 or 8pm. What dosage are you taking? I'd like to have my pain reduced too!
    Glad to hear you're feeling better. I just joined this group yesterday, so I have a lot to learn about FMS and depression (which I've had for 7 yrs.)
    Have a good day.
    Kardog
  4. themarce

themarce New Member

Hi,
    Nice to hear that you joined the group. Welcome!
    My doc instructed me to take 50mg. at 7PM. I am still only taking 25mg. b/c the first night I took 50 and didn't wake up until 2PM the next day! So I decided to take it slow and easy.
    TheMarce
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I first took deseryl back in the 90's for a major depressive episode; it is in a class of its own, which is similar to the tricylics but is not a tricylic. It does have a tendancy to cause sleepiness in some folk and that is why it is sometimes given in the evening/night. I took it along w/other medications for depressive and anxiety illness for probably ten years and it was effective.

Long story short, I developed Seratonin Syndrome manifested by Tardives Dyskinesia! I had gone around for many years suffering the effects of SSRI's to the point that I had been not six months ago diagnosed w/Parkinsons!! Not funny! I am a 53 year old single parent of a 10 year old son and Parkinson's was not in the plan...this whole FMS thing et al. was not in the plan!

I requested six months ago to go back to Deseryl. My psychiatrist did so but refused to take me off Celexa as I have dysthymia, early onset with major depressive episodes and he is afraid when the situational depression lifts I would fall into the abyss so he has me on 40mg of Celexa, the only SSRI that does not interfere w/other meds I take and I have not yet developed any dystonia that my beta blocker cannot handle!

I can take deseryl in four equal doses or at night, makes no difference in my wakefulness, however, it does cause me to sometimes "weird" out so I take it half at 6:00 pm and the other half at bedtime. I take 150 mgs. CactusLil'
  6. Rene

Rene New Member

I took it and it finally let me sleep with no hangover and also I didn't eat as much. But about a week later I broke out in hives and my lips we numb so I went to the ER. I'm alergic to all drugs!! But I think it was the best one I ever had and wish I could take it.
    rene
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I've been taking Trazadone for over a year to help with my sleep. I have found it to be very helpful. I take it along with Klonopin, Flexeril, Neurontin, and Ultram before I go to bed. When I was on only one thing for sleep I couldn't sleep more than a few hours and I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning. Now I never wake up before morning.

Barbara
  8. epicurean

epicurean New Member

for about two years(150 mg.) and I also take Ambien with it-only once have I slept through the night, I do go back to sleep,but I do feel rested in a.m.
  9. lucky

lucky New Member

has been great for getting 7 tpo 8 hrs. of sleep without waking up for years.
    I take 100 mg just before going to bed and after 20 minutes I cannot keep my eyes open. This is the only med which has helped me to get a good night's sleep. During the day I am taking 40 mg Celexa and Ritalin. However, I like to try Lexapro and instead of Ritalin Provigil, if I can manage these meds. Lucky