ANYONE TAKING ULTRACET?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Oct 17, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

My primary may change the pain medication from Darvocet 100 to Ultracet. I read a site that said it had proven to be very helpful for Fibro pain.

Anyone on this medicine now? I would like to hear experiences good,bad or the ugly!

thanks,
    granmama
  2. granmama

granmama New Member

My primary may change the pain medication from Darvocet 100 to Ultracet. I read a site that said it had proven to be very helpful for Fibro pain.

Anyone on this medicine now? I would like to hear experiences good,bad or the ugly!

thanks,
    granmama
  3. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I tried ultracet not too long ago, but it didn't help my pain for the amount of dosage I could take. I could only tolerate 1/2 pill. The 1/2 didn't give me side effects but a whole made me too tired. The Dr. switched me to ultram but that doesn't help me pain either. Both are pretty good as far as not too many side effects but I am super sensitive to meds.
    I hope it helps you.

Harmony
  4. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

I took 1-3 pills a day for nearly 2 years when the doctors thought my pain was caused by a herniated disc. I truly had a good experience with it until a rhuematologist told me to discontinue and put me on amitryptelen....Oh I was not informed to taper... they kept telling me it was non narcotic... so.. I had a very bad experience from withdrawl. I then was rushed to the rhuemy on call and he put me back on to taper off.. so ... any way once they diagnosed me with fibro.. my new dr has me on neurontin and Ultram (tramadol) which is working real well for me... Good luck, I would recommend it, but only to the light weights like me.. I could get high off an aspirin...smile.. Have a blessed day....BARB
  5. mistyb

mistyb New Member

for really bad days, and have had great experience with it. I do not get any side effects, and I can even work when I take it. I hope it works well for you. good luck

misty
  6. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Holly,
    If you read this,I have a question regarding your dosage. You said you take 2 pills in the am/pm what is the amount of dosage in mg.?

thanks,
    granmama

7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Good luck with the ultracet, I've not taken it but heard good things about it. And from what I've heard about Darvocet, you are better off NOT taking it. Many doctors feel it is a pain medicine that should be retired, now that there are newer, more effective ones (like ultracet). I have read that it is very ineffective for many people's pain, so they tend to take more & because of that, it is the most easily over-dosed on pain med. (and not a huge amount more than the recommended amount is enough to cause an overdose). I know Darvocet never helped me at all, whereas one vicodin, for example, does. So anyway, it sounds like ultracet is a good choice that we people in pain now have. Good luck with it, I know many people use it so you should get some good info here!

Feel better,
    Pam
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I have'nt been on the board in a couple days.......just lying low,in a flare,taking it light.
    I just yesterday got a script for the ultracet......says take 2 as needed for pain.I tried one last night b/c I was hurting pretty good and it may have slightly dulled the pain but i guess i was hoping for more relief.(whats new!)So I will be taking 2 very shortly.My left hip and butt side hurts so much!I use a heating pad nearly all the time and that feels good.I'm not sure if its my disks bringing on the butt pain or if its the fibro???
    have a good night all!
    Tracey
  9. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I find Ultracet does very little for me. It can be tough on your liver, but I understand it is not narcotic and not addictive. Hope you have wonderful luck with it.

Maria
  10. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I was just on it for a short time not too long ago..I took a very low dose..It did take the edge off at times, but caused HORRIBLE headaches..I told pain management dr. and he told me ultracett can do that to some..It also made my a little "edgy" at times, but not every day........
    Take Care..........Donna
  11. granmama

granmama New Member

I started taking Ultracet. Directions are 1-2 pills 3 times a day as needed for pain.

My first dosage was at night and I took 2. The next morning I took 1 and 1 before bedtime.
    I awoke this morning not hurting as bad and feel more refreshed than having taken the darvocet before and during the night.

I know 2 days is early to draw any conclusions, but I'm hoping the for the best results.

granmama
  12. Scoobsmom

Scoobsmom New Member

13. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

i take ultracet for pain. sometimes it works and sometimes it dosn't, but that has been a pattern for me with pain meds. i take 2 at a time up to 3 times a day. i have no side effects. today my pain was not so bad and i took two and now feel pretty good. hope it works for you.

maria