Anyone taking Zoloft for fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mom2anj, Mar 11, 2003.

1. mom2anj

mom2anj New Member

My doctor wants me to give Zoloft a try to see if it helps. Just wondering if it has helped anyone else.

thanks!

mom2anj
  2. truthseeker67

truthseeker67 New Member

After much consideration and hesitation I decided to find help with my anxiety. My one friend also encouraged me to try Zoloft. Anyhow, I have been taking 50 mg of Zoloft since September of this past year and it truly has been a blessing to me. In January of this year I was just dx'd with FMS and this explains why I was incredibly anxious all the time.

I am sensitive to drugs because of my FMS and have a small frame, so this is why I am on a low dosage of 50 mg - you *may* require a different dosage to see positive results.

Also, a word of warning the first week or two I felt for a lack of better terms - buzzed. After that I noticed considerable calming. However, I do believe you need to work with the medication meaning that you need to change you thought life. In other words, you need to challenge your anxiety or fears and think things through - what is true or just an assumption.

I also find remembering to breathe properly (deep and slowly) and exercise(as much as YOU can do) to be complimentary to anxiety relief. Of course, avoiding sugar and caffiene as much a possible will increase your calmness.

One plus with Zoloft is that it doesn't affect one's weight like Paxil and the like.

Also, check with your doctor according to what is the best time for you to take your Zoloft since you have FMS. I take mine with breakfast.

I hope this helps you in some way.

blessings......truth
  3. nitalynn

nitalynn New Member

Been on it for about 2 years now, for fibro. I'm taking other things too but it all seems to be working somewhat.
  4. Revella

Revella New Member

take Zoloft along with other meds. I started with 50mg a day a year or two ago. Because of stress at work and at home (my husband is waiting for a liver transplant), my doctor has over the last two years up it to 150, a day. I take 100mg in the morning and 50 at night. Wasn't sure if it was helping much but when I tried without it I could tell the difference. I'd say give it a try!

Good luck,
    Revella
  5. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi mom2anj:
    I've been zoloft for about a month for depression. I didn't get on it for the fibro alone though. I started getting depressed from the long flare ups and short periods of "normal". My flares last weeks and my "good" days last for 2 days or less, so you can see why I was depressed. The up and down was getting to be too much. The zoloft has helped me with the depression, but as far as my fms, it has not helped the pain at all.
    Wish you the best of luck. I don't have any side effects from it either - safe for me to take.((hugs))
    sue
  6. ozgran

ozgran New Member

I stopped taking Zoloft because of massive and rapid weight gain. I think you will find others here have also had weight gain. It gives you the "munchies" apart from anything else - or it does me. I tried other anti depressants with terrible results. Felt teary, physically ill and terrible headaches. Have gone back to 50mgs Zoloft and next week will be cutting that back to 25mgs on Drs suggestion.I don't like taking it , but it seems to relax me and I do sleep better with it. Have decided if I get fat, well then I will just have to work on being able to get back walking as I feel better. Am seeing a rheumy next week and hope he can suggest something better. love Ozgran