Anyone throw up after useing Tramadol?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bronagh, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi everyone,

I started to take Elavil a week ago, don't really feel great taking it but will persevere for a little while longer.

I'm more worried about the effect Tramadol has on me.
    I took one the day before yesterday, i felt ok, i took one yesterday morning and one around 6:00 in the evening, about two hours later i threw up all over the place, felt dizzy and had to go to bed, i still feel funny today, a bit queasy.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Many thanks,

Bronagh :)
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

But it sure sounds like you could be having adverse effects from it. Might be a good idea to call your doc.

There are other meds out there, just as effective, that you could be placed on, in my opinion, that you wouldn't have to deal with nasty side effects.

Good luck, and take care! Hope things work out well for you and you start feeling better soon!! PG
  3. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you peppergirl, i appreciate your reply.

I normally have a very good tolerance to meds, i dont think its a tummy bug, i'll see how i am tomorrow and will then check it out with Dr.

Thank you and nice to see you.
    Have a good day.

Bronagh:)
  4. elsa

elsa New Member

Tramadol ( Ultram ) effects serotonin levels. So does your elavil. You could be sick from serotonin being raised more then you need.

Given a choice, I would chunk that elavil in a New York minute, and keep my pain medication. ( 'Course, everyone that knows me also knows I'm not big on AD's being used for sleep/pain. Might be biased. LOL )

I stopped taking 5-htp and sam-e ( natural serotonin reuptake inhibitors ) as soon as pharmacies started publishing the relationship between serotonin and tramadol. I'm not sure how many MD's are aware ( or were aware in recent past ) of that relationship.

I also don't know to what extent serotonin is raised while taking tramadol ... but neither do the experts. The makers will be the first to say they are "not sure how it works" ...

I can say that it helps my pain levels greatly. I'll do whatever it takes to avoid other serotonin raising
    rx/supplements in order to stay with tramadol.

I am sorry it made you so sick. I hope you feel better soon. A friend of mine had the same problem only she was taking lexapro. After weaning herself off of lexapro, her nausea problem with tramadol disappeared.

Good luck to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Elsa
  5. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

Tramadol made me feel horrible, I felt "high", nauseous, queasy and I had heart palpitations.
    I was not on any other medication when I was taking it, I have never taken it again.

Phoebe
  6. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Elsa,

Thank you for your help.

I could not believe that i had such a reaction to the meds in such a short time, i remember the Rheumy telling me NOT to take Tramadol at the same time as Elavil, i didn't, i spaced them out hours in between.

I felt sick for two days, feeling a bit better today.

To be honest i DO NOT WANT to take anything that has serotonin in it. I'll ask my Dr what she thinks although i'd say the Rheumy would prefer me to tell him, i know he will tell me to take smaller doses.

Thank you so much for your help.

Best wishes,

Bronagh:)
  7. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

I'm not on any other medication either, i'm very anti tablets, only take something when i can't stand pain anymore.

I never imagined that a tablet would effect me in such a short time as i've always had a good tolerance.

I'm a good eater too, love my food, i always thought that having food in your system helped when taking meds!!!!!!

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise:)

Thank you,

Bronagh.
  8. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

I thought I was the only one!

My rheumy rx'd it a couple of years ago... and I took it one day = with immediate relief of pain; no drugged feeling - I loved it. The 2nd day was the same.

The THIRD day, I was so sick, I couldn't go to work, and literally had to go back to bed. I couldn't raise my head without a tremendous amount of dizziness and nausea - and that lasted for two days.

I never really got an explanation of why it worked that way - just called and told the doc I couldn't take it anymore ...

For what it's worth - I was also taking trazadone and prozac at the time - but was never warned of any possible uill effects.

But yes - I've had that experience:)

of course, I couldn't take elavil, either :)[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2005]
  9. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

I think maybe your rheumy mean't DON'T TAKE THE TWO,
    take tramadol 'OR' elavil???

Yes i see now that is what he meant, i didn't think it would have made a difference taking it hours in between.

I'm feeling much better, nausea has stopped.

Thank you Wendy.

10. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

I'm so glad to hear that someone else felt like i did.

I'm not sure about taking Elavil i'll have to talk to my Dr about it.

I have Fibro for ever, kept on working because i had to, i stopped work about 8 years ago then the walls came tumbling down :)

((((((BIG HUGS TO ALL OF YOU))))))

Take care,

11. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Thank you Wendy for the warm wishes.

Have a good day :)

12. pam_d

pam_d New Member

In what way does Tramadol affect seratonin levels? I am very interested in this because, though I take Tramadol (actually Ultram for me) only once in a blue moon, it ALWAYS keeps me up all night. Even if I take it in the late afternoon, I can count on being wide awake.

When my pain level was greater a few years ago, my doc gave me a prescription for 4 times a day---no WAY could I ever use it that much, I'd never sleep!

I only use it very occasionally now, and only take it early in the afternoon...so it definitely must affect my seratonin levels, and I wonder what it says about my seratonin that it has this strong of an affect on my sleep....

How do others even use it???

Hugs,
    Pam
  13. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi,

Just saw your post. Tramadol ( Ultram ) can effect the re-uptake of serotonin. It is not an anti-depressant and doesn't raise serotonin levels anywhere near the way
    SSRI's, or 5-HTP do.

I am very, very sensitive to SSRI's and AD's like trazadone .... raise serotonin levels more then just alittle bit without balancing them with dopamine antagonist
    makes me "numb" to the world. You could do whatever you like to me and I would not care. I truely hate them!

Because of this reaction I am very careful about serotonin. Many people have had no problems whatsoever, but
    I can't help but be concerned with serotonin syndrome.
    ( Case where too much serotonin re-uptake has been blocked.)I just don't handle it like other people are able to.

Taking a combo like elavil and tramadol at the same time could boost serotonin too much at once.
    However, if a person is taking SSRI's for treatment of CFS/FM and not depression, then the combo is probably O.K.

CFS/FM AD's dose is much smaller then the dose required to treat depression.

Many people get a little "lift" from taking Ultram. I,
    personally like it! Every bit helps in the fight against fatigue. Until recently, I wasn't able to take it at bedtime either .... unless it was just 1 tab and I was really wiped out.

Now that I take lunesta and have stablized my sleep,
    I am able to also take my tramadol. It is making a difference in how I feel in the mornings.

If tramadol's boost is too much for you , you can request an RX of Ultracet from your doctor. It is tramadol with tylenol. It has less the amount of tramadol in it vs.
    straight tramadol.

I started out with ultracet. It made me just a little bit sleepy. ( Or just didn't help my "sleepiness".) If you are uncomfortable with the effects of tramadol, you will probably like ultracet.

I don't like tylenol ... not that it is bad ... it just has never helped reduce any kind of pain for me. We take so much medication, ... it made sense to me to cut out any thing that was not helping . Hence the straight tramadol instead of ultracet.

I hope this helps you some. I would part with my dog (and I love my dog like crazy !) before I would give up the pain relieving effects of tramadol ( or in a smaller way Ultracet).

Take care,

Elsa

14. I took tramadol as was told it was one of the best, I got such a horrid headache from it.
  15. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi everyone,

Many thanks to all for your help. Unfortunately my Rheumy is away on holidays and i could not be bothered asking my Dr's advice, she has been no help to me through all this.

I'll stay away from meds until he gets back. id rather put up with my pains than feel how i felt.

Hope you all have a good day.

16. shadow205

shadow205 New Member

Hi All,

I am new here and newly DX with FMS. My Doctor just gave me a presription for Ultram 50mg. I have not taken it yet. After reading this thread, I'm not so sure that I want to. I don't understand him even giving it to me if it causes problems with sleeping. He is trying to get me to sleep(which I really don't). I also have sleep apnea so what sleep I do get is not "good sleep".I guess that I am one of the lucky ones because right now my pain is bearable. If I have to choose between taking the Ultram to releive the pain or not taking it and sleeping what little I do, then I will not take it. Oh phooey, I am so confused!
  17. qnjamie

qnjamie New Member

I also do not like taking anything but what I have to take. My Rhuemy tried to put me on Elavil and it caused horrible constipation. To the degree of impaction. I also have depression and IBS as coupling factors, which I am sure alot of us do. My depression, IBS, CMP and FM react differently to meds. So I have to be extremely careful. My IBS causes alot of neausa, food sensitivities, abd pain, constipation and sometimes the d word. My IBS reacts to muscle relaxers, as it should because your digestive track is one big muscle. (Your digestive track also uses alot of seritonin.) I take a wonderful drug for IBS that I was prescribed at U ofM hospital, Levsin/levsinex. It is an anticholergenic, which means it relaxes it. I also take flexeril for pain. Wellbutrin for depression, fatigue, and it helps all the way around(anxiety,moods,headaches). My physical medicine Dr. wants me on pamelor but I am of child bearing age and specifically says it causes harm to human fetuses, so I won't take it. I do have to say that I did take it for a long time about two years ago and it worked really good for pain prevention. I think it had a migrain( or pain) blocker in it.

I didn't know that the tramadol raised seritonin levels. I have heard that it is psychologically addictive. My PCP doesn't beleive in giving narcotics so tramadol is his answer.

I have taken Topamax. I had a horrible reaction. I had to go to the ER for stroke symptoms. I think it multiplied my already TIA symptoms.
    I have alot of neurologic deficits that come with my FM. I feel like it is dementia. I get dizzy alot, vision blurs, speech problems,headaches, neck pain and all the other stuff that goes with FM.
  18. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Shadow,

I am just learning myself as i'm not here long.

If you read a lot of posts here you will see that a lot of people find Elavil and Tramadol great. Unfortunately some of us will react to meds, i am very careful about what i take.

Thank you for your reply and get more opinions on the meds.

19. elsa

elsa New Member

Tramaol DOES NOT RAISE serotonin levels appreciatively
    .... It is not an anti-depressant. It is not marketed to
    raise serotonin. It does however effect serotonin, so people who already take a couple of SSRI's or the like should be aware of that effect.

Tramadol also is not a stimulant. Yes, it does give me a "lift". Coffee gives me a "lift". Unfortunately, with my CFS/FM this lift does not equate to boundless energy.

I also take provigil ... a rx for excessive daytime
    sleepiness. I combine it often with tramadol. When I am in a bad flare ... these rx'es will not keep me awake. Tramadol's "lift" just isn't that big of a deal. It is to me though ... when compared to the multitude of medications that make us sooo sleepy on top of our CFS?FM fatigue.

I am worried that I have given people the impression that tramadol is an agressive serotonin increaser plus
    central nervous stimulant. That is not the case and I don't want anyone to by pass the very beneficial pain
    relieving properties of tramadol due to that misunderstanding.

If you take tramadol with two other SSRI's ... or if you take two 50mg tabs of tramadol at 12pm, it might make you queezie ...or... it might effect your sleep.

These are POSSIBLE reactions .... not guaranteed
    reactions.

Please note the difference and not deprive yourself
    of the pain relieving tramadol because of my previous posts. Go with what your doctor suggests ... he knows your case better then I.

Elsa
  20. Bronagh

Bronagh New Member

Hi Elsa,

I appreciate all you've said and you didn't alarm me at all.

We all need different points of view here it's all to do with helping each other.

Had i not asked for opinions here i would probably be still taking the meds, now i know they do not suite me.

I am so anti med, thats me LOL.

Thank you again, i appreciate everyones opinion here.

Hope you have a good day.

Bronagh :0