Anyone tried Ashok Gupta's Amygdala Retraining Program?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teller7, May 7, 2009.

1. teller7

teller7 New Member

If anyone has tried this program I would love to hear if it worked for you. I'm thinking about trying it, but don't want to be disappointed again if it doesn't work.
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Carol, my thoughts exactly! I can't bear the thought of one more disappointing effort. I haven't looked up the price yet, either, so that might also impact my decision.

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I read about it and watched the videos

I am thinking of trying it, as I really feel that this is a big part of my CFS, the overstressed, hyperstimulation problem

I developed CFS after years of unrelenting stress, a very traumatic event and then a surgery that I was petrified of having - I got sick 1 week after the surgery
  4. Heyygirl

Heyygirl New Member

After a sexually abusive childhood, first hubby had borderline personality disorder, raped by a total stranger in front of my 4 year old son........and believe it or not...the list actually goes on....

I CERTAINLY would like to retrain my amygdala if AL ALL possible......could be an amazing relief...but possible at age 55?

I hope to read some good results here. Not sure I trust the website where the DVE is sold. You know how that goes.

5. teller7

teller7 New Member

You know we've all been through so much for all these years trying to find out info on our own seeing as we get NO help from the medical community. Ashok did say in one of his videow that this IS a real disease and that the CDC is recognizing it more. Who knows this could be a breakthrough to at least give us part of our lives back. Anything would be better than nothing. He mentioned that he is involved in this with Dr Lapp in North Carolina. I live in Oregon but my sister lives in Charlotte and she got the phone # for me. I called his office this morning and the gal told me to e-mail him. He probably won't be able to tell me much because they haven't started their trials yet. But it was worth a try. If I hear back from Dr. Lapp I'll definitely let all of you know.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While the amygdala may certainly play a part in our disease, I don't think Gupta's program is the answer.

It is like anxiety. Sometimes it becomes a vicious cycle that increases anxiety until you need something to immediately stop the cycle such as medication, even if it is short term.

Like, relaxation exercises, meditating, etc. it might help but as an effective long term cure, I doubt it.

Gupta makes lots of money, I think borderline scam. You have to buy the DVD's for an outragious amount even though you can take them back. Plus you can't learn the "really fun secrets" without handing over more money.

There may be something to what he is saying but he is also making a lot of money from people who are desperate.

My two cents worth.

7. teller7

teller7 New Member

You know I do have to agree with what you said wholeheartedly. But if it could help me with handling stress better it may be worth it. I just don't know. I'm not going to rush into it.
  8. gapsych

gapsych New Member

There are lots of programs that teach you relaxation techniques, meditation, etc. and many hospitals offer these free or reduced rates through your doctor.

Much cheaper than the Gupta program. I would rather spend my money on such frivolous things as food, medication, rent.

There are other options available.

We have had people post on how this program dramatically helps them only to find out that Gupta has these people post. Many times the posts sound alike and can be found on other boards.

Take care.

9. alchemist2001

alchemist2001 New Member

Unfortunately there seem to be many self proclaimed experts on everything that they know little about but never the less are perfectly willing to jump in with opinions. gap is a classic in this case...

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, out there making bundles of money off the backs of those suffering from illnesses that the medical community lacks the knowledge to diagnose and treat. This site is one for example along with Drs Lapp, Peterson, Teitelbaum, Cheney, Murray, etc.---a year waiting list for the privilege of forking over $10,000 to get through an initial exam.

What's my point? The original poster asked for anyone that has had experience with the Gupta program not half baked opinions based on skimming a web site.

As for the cost, I have spent more on supposed scientific tests that provided absolutely no insight into my illness and definitely have spent much more for a six month supply of supplements that did nothing. Then there is the pseudo scientists in psychology that charge thousands of dollars claiming to help you with an illness that at last count had almost 5,000 different scientific studies that establish this as a physiological illness---that is medical, not in your head!

I am in the process of going through the Gupta program and made the decision to go with it based on the concepts he put forward in his published paper, with a clear understanding that CFS has at least seven subtypes and his program probably addresses at least one of them. Since we have no diagnostics yet to pinpoint who falls into which group, that could be me.

I am early in the program but would say that even at this stage it has improved my ability to live with my illness. Is it a cure? I don't think so but then I don't happen to believe there will be a cure any time soon, there are only tools to help you manage this illness.

Bottom line, don't listen to nay sayers that haven't actually tried a treatment protocol or have and don't have similar symptoms to yourself. This is definitely not a one size fits all illness or we would have all found a treatment by now. Evaluate the treatment based on YOUR symptoms and hope for the best.

Best of luck,

[This Message was Edited on 09/20/2009]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I think you are assuming things about me that are not true.

I am not a self proclaimed expert by any means but do have a scientific background. I like to present all the information just as I appreciate other's knowledge in different areas. We all have different expertise. We all have had experiences with this DD that we need to share. All should be welcome.

You do not have to agree with someones post. Just take from it what you want or disregard it altogether. But it is vital that different perspectives are shown.

I don't just jump in willy nilly but certainly will do so at times when something is promoted that is not scientifically explained or goes against medical knowledge of how the body works.

For example,I have never tried homeopathy, because I know it is scientifically implausible and there are no reliable or valid studies that show it works. In fact, it is just the opposite. There are many scientific studies that show it does not work. I don't have to actually try something before determining it will not work.

You are confusing someone with a different perspective as a naysayer.

I do have to disagree about evaluating a treatment only based on your symptoms. This is self diagnosing. Many illnesses have overlapping symptoms. How you feel may or may not have to do with a particular treatment.

And there will be times I will just give my opinion. If I am rude with the way I word things, hijack a post, etc. then I have to take responsibility for my actions.
    We all have personal choice in how we handle our health.

Edited to shorten this post.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2009]
  11. spacee

spacee Member

I have purchased the DVD's haven't opened them yet. Life is kinda crazy right now. Son moving home from England after 3 years, son moving to Netherlands for 3 years. Crazy.

I have too much norenphrine in my body by lab test. Which would cause anxiety, of course.

Finally got stumbled across GABA (sold here or other places, got mine at GNC). It is not a "cure" but I do call it my "happy pill". My sensitivity to light and sound are so much better too.
    I read somewhere online that GABA affects the part of the brain Ashtok "retrains".

GABA is cheap too about $10 a month. Prohealth's says one a day. GNC says 1-2 a day. I take 2 (one with two meals).

12. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

There are NO REALLY FUN SECRETS you pay more money for PERIOD. Every time this subject comes up Gap sais that and it isnt true PERIOD!!!!

I dont know why people comment on things, and even make stuff up when they know NOTHING about it!!!!
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was not going to reply because it is not my intention to hijack a thread, but I feel that you owe me an apology.

Please read my last post, I am saying just the opposite.

You are overreacting to my opinion because you don't agree with it.

I do not make things up and don't fall for stories where people do.

I don't get the "really fun secrets" part.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/22/2009]
  14. springwater

springwater Active Member

if you go to the homeopathy thread you will find that gapsychs posts are not reliable.

Please dont be influenced by someone who doesnt know what they are talking about and spend all their time running down treatments which are not according to their idea of how 'things should work'.

Good luck to you.

God Bless
  15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You are personally attacking me which is against the rules of this board.

Instead of attacking me, debate the merits of my posts or ignore them.

I've said my piece. That is enough.I am not going to debate.

I will not respond to attacks and just keep hitting the inapproriate button. You may do the same.

16. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

There's been a lot of talk about this with no real explanation of what it is (not regarding the amygala and all, but how the program works, etc.)

IMHO I think this would not be something of help to people who really have CFS aside from perhaps being emotionally uplifting. I did watch an excerpt on youtube and was not impressed. I can't imagine watching a program and becoming more energetic from it, for example. LOL
  17. Iamwell

Iamwell New Member

Hello Gapsych,

On 5-8-09 you posted on this thread. "Plus you can't learn the "really fun secrets" without handing over more money". I'm just clearing up your confusion on the "really fun secrets" comment. Maybe you forgot you said that. If I'm confused or wrong about this then I apologize.

When I ask about someone's experience with a supplement or treatment I would prefer to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge with trying it. Now if I ask about for opinions about a subject then feel free to make all the comments you want.

I haven't done the Gupta method so I can't give you any input.

18. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

I just was gonna repeat what iamwell said in her first paragraph.

This is not the first time Gupta has come up and you have said that about "the really fun secrets." I assured you that I had the program and it is not the case. IT IS NOT THE CASE so you should apologize to the poster for speaking about something you are clueless about and going as far as lying about it.

Enough said...

[This Message was Edited on 09/22/2009]
  19. bakeman

bakeman New Member

He suffered from ME/CFS himself around 10 years ago, and has now been 100% BETTER for many years. He runs a clinic in Harley Street in Central London, where he SUCCESSFULLY treats patients with the condition.

* I wonder what his definition of successfully is? I think it differs from mine and the rest of the world for that matter.

Now finally this GROUND-BREAKING treatment is available to everyone in the world at an affordable price.

* Ground breaking it is not. From what I see most people don't even bother finishing the dvd's, but they all seem to say something like "it helped a little but i couldn't devote enough time to the program". They end up blaming themselves instead of the inferior product.

* Ground breaking? Surely then Cheney, Levine, Lerner, & the WPI ect... will be dropping all of their planned research to focus on amygdala retraining in the next few months of course.

We have now completed the one year Observational Study on 33 patients, and this has shown that 92% of patients improved, and two-thirds (67%) went on to make a full recovery, or close to that mark." Most of these patients are now back in full time work.

* This is so immensely ambiguous, I'm not even going to bother commenting. Seriously, its pathetic.

This programme is so powerful and Ashok believes in it so much, that it comes with a guarantee that it will DEFINITELY help you recover from your condition.

* Ahhh, the art of the power of persuasion. Isn't it just beautiful! If the amygdala thing doesn't work out, he can always fall back on these skills as a used car salesman.

20. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

Just in case Teller never looked at the site and was thinking of buying the program (?????) some one has copied the info for you with their opinion. That is helpful, huh???

Teller- I have the program, I have tried to use it but I was SO sick and out of it I could not do it even close to what I should have. It is a good program but I dont know that it alone is going to heal many people. I have read about people giving it a really good try and getting no help and I have read of people swearing by great improvements. It is not a magic wand for certain. (that is my opinion of course, but I do have the program and did alot of research into like you are doing.)

Keep looking on other boards. You will find more people who have actually "looked at the program and used it" and will read people it has and hasnt helped. You can also PM them. This board goes hay wire every time anyone mentions any possibility that we can help ourselves with mind/body sorts of things.

Good luck to you!!