Anyone Tried Brown Seaweed for Detox? (waynesrhythm maybe?)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Over the past six months or so, I've been trying various things to detox from the black mold exposure at my house. (I moved away from the house and all my possessions that had been in the house, since I now have a peanut-allergy level of sensitivity to this stuff.)

The most commonly used substance for this sort of detox is cholestyramine, which is recommended by Dr. Shoemaker. It is a prescription drug with an official purpose of lowering cholesterol.

More recently I've been reading about brown seaweed, which supposedly also is capable of binding with mycotoxins (mold poisoning) and carrying them out of the body. It seems to have the potential for carrying out other toxins as well.

I've been taking a small amount of this off and on for the past couple of weeks and have indeed noticed a detox reaction. It feels like I have a moderate hangover for a day or two after I take it.

I'm not absolutely sure that it binds to mold toxins though. It's possible it's pulling out something else. Regardless I guess that would be okay.

Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone else here had tried this or heard anything about it.

If so, did it appear to eventually do anything positive?

(I mention Wayne here because he seems to be particularly interested in detox and also because---I think!---he wrote in another thread about suspicions that his living space might have mold in it. If that's the case, using something that would drag mold toxins out of the body might be useful in terms of keeping the levels from rising a lot until the living situation issue can be resolved.)

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I've been reading all about iodine lately, and how it is crucial not only for the thyroid, but also boosts the immune system and kills pathogens. Iodine deficiency is also implicated in fibrocystic breasts and breast cancer. The U.S. rate of breast cancer has increased from 1 in 23 to about 1 in 7 in the last 30 years, at the same time that bromide replaced iodine in our bread. Bromide is toxic and prevents the absorption of iodine.

Here's a good article about all of this:

I'm writing all this to let you know just a little why I'm finding iodine so fascinating. (I did a post on this a week or 2 ago)

Brown seawood of course is high in iodine. Taking iodine can cause detox symptoms, due to detoxing bromides and I'm sure other things. It probably also causes a herx reaction from killing pathogens. Here's a link to an article about this: - near the
    bottom you can click on "iodine detoxing bromide" highlighted in blue, which will give you symptoms of bromide detox (as if we didn't have enough already to detox!)

So some of your symptoms may be due to bromide detoxing. I started taking Lugol's iodine drops about 4 days ago and on the 2nd day noticed I just felt quite empty, discouraged, felt what's the use and did not want to do anything, unusual for me. Luckily I've detoxed and herxed enough to consider this might have been part of detoxing, and when I read about bromide detoxing, sure enough, "dark thoughts" were symptoms, among other things.

The 2nd article I linked also talks about a salt loading protocol to help with bromide detoxing, which I haven't tried yet but probably will. I ended up cutting my dose to one drop (had gotten up to 4), and will gradually start back.

Hope this helps --

3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Wow, that was really interesting, Mary!

4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Mary,

This indeed is really interesting and potentially important. It does make things a bit more challenging though!

I looked up a little bit on bromide and found the following symptoms of excess bromide:

* Loss of appetite, nausea/emesis, lethargy, propensity to sleep during the daytime, depression, loss of concentration and memory, confusion, headache, and

* Bromism (central reactions reaching from somnolence to coma, cachexia, exicosis, loss of reflexes or pathologic reflexes, clonic seizures, tremor, ataxia, loss of neural sensitivity, paresis, papillar edema of the eyes, abnormal speech, cerebral edema, delirium, aggressiveness, psychoses)

* Acne-form dermatitis and other forms of skin disease may also be seen, as well as mucous hypersecretion in the lungs. Asthma and rhinitis may worsen. Rarely, tongue disorder, aphten, bad breath, and obstipation occur.

I have had a lot of these during the days following taking the seaweed extract.

I also had a very odd-smelling urine, which I didn't get at all on the cholestyramine. One article I found said that this was typical of bromide.

It seems that bromide is one of those minerals that you want to have the right amount of, but not too much.

I thus wonder if removal of this substance from my body would be a good or bad thing for me.

How do you suppose one would get bromide toxicity? I am interested to note that bromide has anticonvulsant properties, since I have been taking prescription anticonvulsants for many years. I don't know that they have bromide or quasi-bromide in them though.

Even if the seaweed is detoxing bromide, it may be detoxing other things as well.

It's actually been my assumption that seaweed would be detoxing all kinds of things. Perhaps the more important question is whether it attaches to biotoxins at all. Dr. Shoemaker writes in "Mold Warriors" and "Desperation Medicine" as if cholestyramine has a super-special and unique structure that allows it to hook itself to mycotoxins in a way that nothing else can.

I would imagine he's looked into other remedies though, even though he seems to lean more toward prescription drugs. Perhaps after I get the labs done that Dr. recommends (hopefully next week!), my doctor will call Dr. S to discuss this stuff and can ask him what he thinks of alternative detoxification methods.

(Didn't I read that Dr. S will have brief consultations with doctors treating mold patients even if they are not Dr. S's patients? Does anyone remember where he mentions that?)

As for the bromide....perhaps it would be interesting for me to try the iodine alone, just to see what happens. If I get the same reaction from that as from the seaweed, it will make me wonder more strongly if the seaweed really is getting biotoxins too.

I just wish there were a way to know for sure.

Thanks much for the info!!!

Best, Lisa

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Lisa - I misspoke earlier, confusing the above two. Bromine, not bromide, was added to bread in place of iodine starting in the 1980's. I don't know the chemical correlation between bromine and bromide, would have to do more research.

Here's a blurb from another article re bromine and bread:

Forty years ago the food industry decided to remove iodine from baked goods and replace the iodine with bromine. Iodine and bromine appear similar to the thyroid gland and bromine easily binds to the thyroid gland’s receptors for iodine. Bromine, however, is of no value to the thyroid gland unlike iodine and it inhibits the activity of iodine in the thyroid gland. Bromine also can cause impaired thinking and memory, drowsiness, dizziness and irritability. This substitution of bromine for iodine has resulted in nearly universal deficiency of iodine in the American populace. Iodine therapy helps the body eliminate fluoride, bromine, lead, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum and mercury.

Bromine is very toxic, from

A member of the halogen group, bromine is obtained from natural brines from wells in Michigan and Arkansas. Some bromine is extracted today from seawater, which contains only about 85 ppm.

Bromine is the only nonmetallic liquid element. It is a heavy, mobile, reddish-brown liquid, volatilizing readily at room temperature to a red vapor with a strong disagreeable odor, resembling chlorine, and having a very irritating effect on the eyes and throat; it is readily soluble in water or carbon disulfide, forming a red solution, is less active than chlorine but more so than iodine; it unites readily with many elements and has a bleaching action; when spilled on the skin it produces painful sores. It presents a serious health hazard, and maximum safety precautions should be taken when handling it.

Much of the bromine output in the U.S. was used in the production of ethylene dibromide, a lead scavenger used in making gasoline anti-knock compounds. Lead in gasoline, however, has been drastically reduced due to environmental considerations. This will greatly affect future production of bromine.

Bromine is used in making fumigants, flameproofing agents, water purification compounds, dyes, medicines, sanitizers, inorganic bromides for photography, etc. Organic bromides are also important.

(they don't mention it's added to bread)
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Well, that's very interesting. I'm not sure what to think though.

What kinds of detox effects are you getting from the iodine?
  7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Kelly,

Colloidal silver seems to kill bacteria and everything else, but not harm people.

(Except in very great quantities to make them turn blue, but I'm not sure that counts.)

I would be interested to see what kind of reaction other people have to the brown seaweed.

I have been having a really intense reaction. Worse than at the beginning when I was doing the FolaPro.

The directions on my bottle (Limu) say 1-4 ounces, 1-2 times per day.

I think I'm going to do 1 teaspoon, 1 time per day for a while.

I'm really sick of feeling sick all the time and am going back to the method of detoxing/de-pathogenizing only as quickly as I can without feeling it.

Best, Lisa
  8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

The usual suspects - fatigue, loose stools. But I also had a noticeable mental effect - the "dark thoughts", feeling of hopelessness, not wanting to do anything. I feel better today.

The detox was not as bad for me as the methylation protocol detox, which caused more stomach upset, loss of appetite, and more fatigue.

But I was doing a relatively low dose of the Lugol's iodine (2% solution), about 2.5 milligrams. Today I didn't take any and actually had a bit of energy, interspersed with fatigue. Stop and start, stop and start ...

Will start it up again tomorrow --

9. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Lisa,

Thanks much for posting this information. You're correct, I'm always interested in various detoxification measures, and mold is indeed on my mind these days. So I appreciate this information.

Mary - Thanks for bringing up the iodine issue. It's one that I've had on my mind for a few years now, but never seem to get around to following up on. My interest was first stirred by reading David West's Health Alert Newsletter. I'll paste below his article on Iodine Fulfillment Therapy.

He has apparently started an Iodine Group over at Yahoo. For anybody interested in more information, check out his <a href="">Health Alert Newsletter</a> site. He provides a link to his Iodine Group.

I haven't read all of the above, but am planning on doing so later. Thanks everybody for your posts.

Regards, Wayne

Bruce West, DC

Iodine Fulfillment Therapy

Health Alert Newsletter, December 2005, Volume 22, Issue 12

"By avoiding iodine therapy, you could be missing out on the very link that could get you well. Today we know that total body iodine fulfillment or sufficiency can finally resolve tough, stubborn problems that resist all other treatments. Called orthoiodosupplementation, this treatment employs elemental iodine supplements until the thyroid gland and all other iodine-sensitive sites in the body have reached iodine sufficiency.

"The most commonly difficult problems for which this therapy has been called a panacea are fibrocystic breasts, polycystic ovary syndrome, hypo- and hyperthyroid (with or without goiter), brain fog, constipation, obesity, diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), and even some heart problems—most notably irreversible arrhythmias like atrial fibrillation."

"Iodine is detected in every organ and tissue in the body. It is found in high levels in the thyroid gland, liver, lung, heart, and adrenal glands. It is found in the highest concentrations in fat and muscle tissue. It is depleted out of the thyroid gland and other tissues when thyroid hormone medications are prescribed. Iodine has been considered so important that up until 20 years ago, it had been routinely added to bread as a supplement. Now because of politics and fear of iodine, the thyroid-toxin bromine has taken its place as a bread supplement. And in the past 20 years there has been an increased prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension, as well as more thyroid and breast cancers."

"Doctors could get as high as a 90% cure rate with hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid) by using what would be considered high doses of iodine daily. Doses of six to 37 mgs daily seemed equally effective in resolving cases of hypothyroid (underactive thyroid)."

"Whole body iodine sufficiency is also a critical means to counter the side effects of thyroid hormone medications (Synthroid, etc.). Long-term use of these drugs is associated with depletion of thyroid and tissue iodine levels, as well as increased rates of cancer. Fluorescent scanning of the thyroid clearly shows how drug and other medical thyroid therapies deplete the gland and body of critical iodine. Therefore, Synthroid or thyroid-destructive therapies should never be taken without iodine therapy—something you will never hear from your endocrinologist.

"In addition to thyroid therapy, all thyroid patients should be on iodine therapy, with the goal to reach a whole body iodine sufficiency. When this state is reached, the following results (gathered using sophisticated lab testing, fluorescence screening, clinical measurements, and a host of other high-tech medical testing procedures) have been observed:

Goiter is reduced or eliminated.

Stress on the pituitary gland with resultant high TSH readings is eliminated.

Increased excretion of thyroid poisons and heavy metals occurs via the kidneys.

The liver’s detoxification mechanisms are enhanced.

Obesity is more easily overcome—in fact, iodine therapy may be a critical and unknown factor in obesity.

Diabetes and high blood pressure are more easily controlled.

Breast tissue normalizes with decreased occurrences of fibrocystic breast disease.

Menopausal symptoms are improved.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome can be cured.

Brain function is better, with less brain fog.

Heart function is better, with reduced arrhythmia problems.

And cancer rates, especially of the thyroid and breast, are reduced."

"We use Prolamine Iodine, which is the organic form. Each tablet contains 3 mgs of iodine. Iodoral is less expensive, and some studies (at least with fibrocystic breast disease) show it to be more effective than Prolamine Iodine. Our results with all conditions show them to be equally effective.

"Exactly what dose is best for you is difficult to determine. But we now know that what were formerly considered high doses of the right form of iodine are safe and effective. Some iodine-deficient people only need a tablet or two daily. For people with more serious iodine deficiency problems, iodine sufficiency must be achieved. This is accomplished with a daily dose of around 37 mgs for three months: four Iodoral or 12 Prolamine Iodine tablets daily.

"And this dose should be achieved slowly—starting with one Prolamine Iodine tablet daily, increasing one to two tablets daily each week. Without side effects, the dose should be increased weekly until the iodine sufficiency dose of 12 daily is achieved. With Iodoral, start with one tablet daily and increase by one tablet each week until you are taking four tablets daily. Either way, after achieving the full iodine sufficiency dose, it should be maintained for three months."

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks for your post. I am just flabbergasted by all I have been reading about iodine the last few weeks, and especially the connection of iodine deficiency with breast cancer. It's just mind-boggling to me that this is not out there in the major media. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the rate of breast cancer is so high, and the connection seems to be so strong, you'd think this would go mainstream. I know, I know - no money in iodine, big Pharma, etc., but even so ---

I will check out the link you included as well.

So many people on this board (including me) have thyroid problems, I wonder if most if not all of us are iodine-deficient.

I'm going to stick with the Lugol's, hope to get past the detoxing, and see what happens.

Here are links to articles I've been reading:

11. ph504

ph504 New Member

More iodine reading:

Unfortunately our food supply and environment is loaded with heavy metals, bromide and chlorine. All of which affect our bodies, unfortunately some bodies much more than others. But as we age almost everyone could benefit from more iodine and less bromide and heavy metals. My wife and I supplement with ioderal and I've seen many die off and detox symptoms. It's too bad it isn't an easy path for some.

Here's a site assembled by a lay researcher of old and far ranging iodine information and research.