Anyone tried Cesamet?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brit_17759, Aug 19, 2005.

1. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Today I went for the first time to the Pain Clinic and the doctor prescribed Cesamet for me. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and benefitted from it.

It's very expensive here in Canada, went to Wal Mart to get it, and was told it's $468 & change (canadian) for 60 months supply. To be honest, now I can't work any longer and we are down to one income, I can't afford to pay that much for meds each month, so will call the doctor on Monday and see if he can give me something else and cheaper!

But I am interested in hearing if anyone has used it and found it helped.
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

$468 plus for cesamet, wow.

I have been on cesamet for about two weeks.

I can'nt honestly say it has helped that much.

Makes me kind of fuzzy during the day but I do get a good nights sleep with it.

So, that is good.

Are you on a higher dose than me?

I take one 0.05mg cap [red and white] at bedtime.

Dr. said if that didn't work he would up the dose to one mg.

But, no higher dose than that, as cesamet is a narcotic.

It is sythetic marajauna used for cancer and Aids patients.

I didn't pay near what you did for my cesamet.

Please let us know what dosage you are on.

I would be very interested to know.

Thanks a bunch, from Denamay
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 08/19/2005</i>]
  3. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

thanks for the reply. As I said I haven't got it yet, as I can't really afford that much per month for meds, now I am not working and only my hubbys income coming in. I will call my doctor on Monday for something else and cheaper, He has prescribed 1 mg at night for 3 days, then 1mg in the morning and another 1mg at night.

I shall have to wait and see for Monday if he could give me something else, if not, then I guess I would have no choice but to get it...

4. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

to see if anyone else in canada has been given this med and if anyone knows if I can get it cheaper anywhere else.......thanks
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Maybe we are the only ones in the whole of Canada taking this drug??

I hope you get more relies to your post.

We need more information.

hugs back, Denamay
  6. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

for your replies and input. And it does look we are the only two in canada on this drug denamay.

Spoke to the doctor yesterday about giving me something else as this medication is very expensive and I didn't want to pay so much if I had any reaction to it and couldn't continue taking it.

But he said this is the only med he wants me to take, as he is wary about giving me anything else, as I had a terrible reaction to amtriplitine (sp?). And most of the drugs used are derived from that family. He advised me to ask the Pharmacist to order just a few and if I am OK on them then ask them to complete the prescription. He also told me to ask the pharmacy about a plan, I may qualify for, now we are a one income family. Which will help me towards the cost of my meds. so am off to Wal Mart to get my meds.

Just wanted to update you and thank you all for the replies and info.

7. momblue

momblue New Member

I also am taking cesamet. I have been on Cesamet for 3 weeks now. My new doctor has me trying it for pain. I have found that it dulls the pain, but does not take it away. I am only taking 1 or 2 of .5mg/pill.I am allowed to increase to 4/day. I will say that these pills are horrificly expensive. 200 pills cost $694.00 canadian. It worked out that I paid only $160 of this, as I still have benefits. Thats like $3.49/pill. If they don't end up working, I can sell the rest on Ebay right? lol
  8. Dustin27

Dustin27 New Member

hmm... strange im on disability for a drug plan, and my doc just percribed me this drug like 134 pills. and i never had to pay anything. mind u i never even got a pharmacy recpiet for it either. so i cant tell the price here. im in sudbury ontario btw :) i find this works very well for my pain, im also on the max dosage for percocet as well. and when the doc offered me this drug i was skeptical to say the least. but the percs were not working so i said id try it. that was lastnight, and im shocked at the results my pain is actually gone!!!! as long as i continue my other medications. sorry if it i said is all over the place... i just took my dose lol :)
  9. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

If he is saying he cannot help you with anything else get another DR. my Dr's have always been good about finding something else when I cannot afford the drug prescribed. I think it is terrible that he is saying that knowing you cannot afford the drug. I really would see another DR if you can and get a second opinion I am not kidding here. I would ask a pharmacy what other drugs you could take that is along that line that is not from the same family as the amtriplitine and I would ask that pharmacy how much and to write them down pharmacist should know more about the drugs then your DR and then go to your Dr and tell him you were talking to the pharmacist about the expense and he suggested these or this as not to make the DR mad and if that pharmacist won't do it go to another one until you find one that will work with you. It is no use if you cannot get help with the expense taking a drug that you will not be able to continue to take.