Anyone tried chiropracic for CFIDS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SoxFan, Jan 8, 2006.

1. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

A well meaning colleague has suggested I see a chiropractor for my CFIDS. The logic behind this suggestion is that "if your body is in proper alignment, it will enable the body to heal itself." I am more than a little skeptical about this theory, and I'm hesitant to invest the time, energy and money.

Just wondering if anyone has seen a chiropractor for CFIDS (I don't have Fibro), and what were the results?
  2. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

everyone will no doubt have their own opinion on this, but after being diagnosed with both cfs and fibro, i experienced a short remission at the beginning of this year after seeing a chiropractor and beginning acupuncture. i was only on one medication at the time: lexapro. it was the chiropractic care that seemed to jumpstart the process, but my personal opinion is, the logic your colleague is using applies more to fibro than cfs. i've found that spinal alignment is a huge part of my pain problems and certainly once your spine is balanced, your muscles will begin to heal themselves of trigger point pains. but i'm not sure it has any impact on the endocrine and immune problems associated with cfs. i believe stress elimination (i quit my job), acupuncture and a good night's sleep from the lexapro helped with the cfs.

be well,
    eddie
  3. zerped

zerped New Member

But as previous post said, chiropractic is likely to have some benefit. I have ME/CFIDS only. Summer of '04, a friend from high school who is a chiropractic doctor did a bunch of work on me for free. He did a lot of good work, and I now recommend it for people in general.

Aside from correcting my posture (which has been really bad since high school), the treatments didn't have much noticeable effect. The only changes I had in dizziness, confusion, fatigue and headache pain were controlled by me, in "pacing." I've never gotten much help from accupuncture either, but I suggest that people try either/both cause it might work better fro them than for me.
  4. LostHearts

LostHearts New Member

I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but IMO chiro is a sham. And there's a lot of evidence to back my feelings up. I recommend Quackwatch www.quackwatch.org Scroll down the Questionable list and then click on topics under Chiropractic. The site isn't all one sided but some of the stuff is downright scary.

Even better is Chirobase http://www.chirobase.org which really lays bare this "practice", and also has some topics from chiros who are trying to clean up the profession. I am very upset that medical insurance companies actually pay for this type of foolery while denying other, more proven methods of treatment. (I was supposed to take part in a Ketamine 5 day hospitalized treatment which has proven very successful and left people pain-free for over 6 months at a time but Medicare refused to pay the hospital bill. The Docs involved were donating their services for free).

I post this in the hope that it may save someone from developing a serious medical problem (even a stroke). It seems a lot of the benefit of chiro results from the placebo effect. Please be careful. The nervous system is nothing to play around with--my own experiences have validated this. Most of Fibro/CFS/RSD problems end up as being centralized brain dysfunctions and doing things to the body may have no effect or worse, create more problems. :(
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've seen chiropractors for over 30 years now. For some conditions they have helped tremendously, but my chronic fatigue has never improved significantly other than the fact that I'm less tired when I'm in less pain.

There are good chiropractors and bad chiropractors, just like in any field. If they say they can cure you, run the other way. And if their office looks like a health food store (most sell nutritional supplements and charge a premium versus buying from the store) be wary. I won't go to a doctor who puts pressure on me to buy their nutrition products. They're welcome to recommend something and give me the option of buying from them or getting a comparable product somewhere else, but if they insist their product is superior I won't get it. Case in point...my daughter was paying $40 a bottle for a product called Adrenogen made by Metagenics. I found it online for $10 a bottle. It's a good product, but not worth 4x more to get it at the chiropractor's office.

After having a rib dislocated and getting a hernia from aggressive treatment, I found out about something called Activator Method and would never allow any other type of adjustment. You can find a trained practitioner in your area on their website.

Stephen Barrett at Quackwatch is the biggest quack of them all, but I do feel that you need to be careful who you choose for your doctor in any field. Rough adjustments will cause an immune response which can cause even more pain and no one is allowed to "crack" my neck. The activator uses very little pressure and is only applied to the vertebrae that is misaligned.

I only get adjustments about once every 2-3 months...I have a herniated disk in my neck and it makes a huge difference in my pain level to keep my upper neck aligned. I can always tell when it's time to go in because my fingers start going numb.

I would give it a try if you're in pain, but don't expect it to make much difference in the CFIDS.

Jan

[ advertisement ]