Anyone tried Coenzyme Q10 please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smiffy, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Has anyone had improvement in their symptoms from taking Coenzyme Q10 please? I keep reading that's it's helpful for us, but it is very expensive.
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I took CQ10 in 1996 but couldnt afford to keep it up. I felt it helped me but then wasnt sure.

Anyway I have ordered it from Puritans Pride in the States, they're online. I ordered the 120mg and you get 120 pills in a bottle. I cant remember the price but its the cheapest I could find and more than half the price cheaper than UK. Even with customs charges it will be half the price.

love
    Rosie
  3. huckee

huckee New Member

I take it. I'm not sure if it helps or not. I'm taking a whole bunch of other supplements as well.
  4. bossco

bossco New Member

I had no improvements in my cfs symptoms. If the body isn't deplete in this area, I can't imagine it will be any help. I gave it a shot. I tried a naturopathic approach, it was plenty expensive, and no help.
  5. pepper

pepper New Member

I tried it since so many people seemed to feel better taking it. I took only one pill and it made all my symptoms much worse. I remember having difficulty even climbing the stairs to the second floor.

Luckily after one (or maybe two) days of taking one pill in the morning, I suspected that my problems were from the CoQ10 and stopped it immediately. It took 2 days to start feeling "normal" again.

I posted on here and discovered that several other people had similar experiences.

Pepper
  6. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi there Smiffy .. I use it and I think it helps with energy levels .. I take it with the flax oil pill and it is supposed to work more efficiently in that combo .. I take a lot of supplements so pinpointing one in particular for what specific good it does is very difficult .. but I'm feeling better than I did when I stopped everything back a few months ago .. so yes .. for me, it must do some good !
    Hope it helps you !
    Fudge
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thank you for taking the time to respond; it's very difficult to know what supplements to try!
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I also started on a probotic and that evening went into a flare in my upper back and shoulders. Not unlike when I'm on an antibiotic.

Today, I'm taking the Coenzyme Q10, but not the probiotic. I want to see if the probotic is my problem.

I have a really poor track record with dietary supplements. Since I have been on 80 mg. of Lipitor since 1997, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try the CoQ10. I really haven't been on it long enough to know anything yet.

If I go into a flare later on, I'll know it is the CoQ10. Then, I'll quit that and try just the probiotic. I realize I should have just tried one at a time, but I really didn't think I would have a problem with them. I'm only taking 50 mg. of the sublingual CoQ10 that I got from the Pro Health store.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. kbak

kbak Member

CoQ10 is certainly a wonderful supplement if you can afford it. Q10 is wonderful for all your smooth muscles, your skin, and especially good for your heart. Even Cardio docs recommend it to their patients.

The problem is the cost and the form you take it. You have to take it in a gel form, not solid pill , because it's very hard to asimilate into your system. The higher the dose you take the better off you are. Of course, the higher doses are very costly.

So like everything else, you have to kind of prioritize and decide what you really need most. As much as I like Q10, it probably wouldn't be the first thing I would buy. I think it's more of a, if you have the money and want to get something else to help kind of thing.
  10. goldielocks

goldielocks New Member

hi i take c0Q10 it helps me energy levels but i have to take the sublingal kind for it to help i order it from prohealth yes a little expensive but helps i think
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

I first learned about it in the 80s tried relatively low doses and it did nothing for me.

Then a few years ago I thought I'd give NADH a try, by that time it felt as though every cell in my brain and body was grinding to a halt. The NADH had an effect but then I started to feel shakey on it. After doing some research I decided to try the Co Q 10 again to see if this would help with the shakiness. It to did to some degree; I ended up on just the Co Q 10 and ditched the NADH.

I find it works well with Mg, @ 300mg it was even better but too expensive when trying to fund other stuff, so now I take 100mg of co Q 10. Later, if finances allow, I may try raising my dose again to see if it helps with my muscles. Energy wise I have been doing better recently, and what energy I do have feels like normal energy for the first time in 22 years.

I can afford a maintenance dose of Co Q 10 because I purchase it from outside the UK. I buy my Co Q 10, and a few other supps, from betterlife in the US. Healthy Origins is the make I use, it costs $48.95/£27.85 for 150 caps plus shipping.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 10/10/2005]
  12. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Co Q 10 is a great supplement to take. But, you should always start with a lower dose. I take a 30 mg one, only in the morning, or it will keep me from sleeping at night. Then if you do ok with that you can gradually increase the dose. I have Never heard of taking 600 mg of it! I'd have a stroke on that size dose. If you want the best kind, that is easier for the body to absorb, check at Swansonvitamins.com and look up Q-Gel It comes in a 30 mg pill, bottle of 60 that is only $12 or so. It's a good one, and not too expensive. And I can't imagine co Q 10 causing anyone a problem with their Fibro or CFS unless it did keep them from sleeping, which for us can be a problem. But this size dose doesn't bother me at all. Hope this helps!
  13. springshower

springshower New Member

I take 50 MG of the gel-form of COQ-10 daily......It seems to help the fatigue some & definately helps the fibro-fog......I also have mitral-valve prolapse & it seems to help the palpitations from that...Springshower
  14. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thank you all again for your kindness - I'd never heard of the gel form. This board is so informative!
  15. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

of sublingual and regular CoQ10. I have read that it takes 6 hours for the regular capsules to reach full effectiveness, so I take 50 mg sublingual to get going in the morning. I also take a regular 50 mg capsule in the morning and another one at noon.

I take a variety of other things, as well. I think that the CoQ10 helps raise my energy levels, but I am still a ways from normal. As bossco said, it will help only if you have a CoQ10 deficiency.