Anyone tried corydalis? pain still & no luck with righ med yet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Corydalis seems to be a potent Chinese herb helpful for pain like opiods, according to info I have read.

Anyone tried it?

Since I haven't had good results from med's yet and my dr is getting sick of seeing me, it would be nice if i could take something herbal and make us both happy...

Jen F
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

hear great things about this for pain relief.
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I hope I develop a loving relationship with this herb.

Anyone tried any of the brands or combinations?

It used to be in Neurapas, a SJW preparation and I noticed when I had a mild back problem last year that every time I took a pill, the pain receded somewhat. So, I'd like to try it full strenght now.

I got some from Thuna's herbals on Friday, but I don't think it's the right one, I want yan hu suo. the corydalis I got is turkey corn. Seems there are several types of corydalis.

This is what the net said about turkey corn when i got home:

"
    Turkey Corn
    Botanical: Dicentra Canadensis (D.C.)
    Family: N.O. Furnariaceae

---Synonyms---Turkey Pea. Squirrel Corn. Staggerweed. Bleeding Heart. Shone Corydalis. Corydalis. Corydalis Canadensis (Goldie). Bicuculla Canadensis (Millsp.).
    ---Part Used---Dried tubers.
    ---Habitat---Westward and south of New York to North Carolina.

Medicinal Action and Uses---Tonic, diuretic and alterative; useful in chroniccutaneous affections, syphilis and scrofula and in some menstrual complaints. The corydalin sold by druggists is often impure. "

I don't need a diuretic! I need a pain reliever!!
  4. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

What "meds" have you tried. Have you tried true pain medications? Depending on how bad your pain level is depends on what you may need. So what HAS your doctor tried.?

Lynda B.
  5. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Advil - helpful, but not enough

Mobicox - helpful, but not enough

Tylenol - " "

Tylenol 3 - at max dose nausea, might be allergic

Vioxx- with Tylenol 3 took away my pain for a day, next day so sick had to stop both

demerol - no thanks...side effects not pleasant and with my one and only dose [well, 2 if you count each half] had difficulty swallowing, but was on antihistamine so, felt somewhat reassured that I wasn't going to lose my airway, tho maybe swallowing difficult just due to numness, I dont' know...

Celebrex- might be allergic [reacted to something when I was taking celebrex, flexeril, and tylenol 3]

didn't try Percoset - might be allergic, since might be allergic to codeine and percoset structure is similar to codeine, so doc didn't want me to take it.

have used antihistamines, including strong one with muscle relaxing side effect

-flexeril generic

-myoflex topical

- clonazepam
    [This Message was Edited on 06/22/2003]
  6. Jen F

Jen F New Member

info from chiroweb:

What is cordyceps? What is it used for?

Cordyceps is one of the most unique substances found in herbal medicine. It's actually a form of fungus which grows naturally on the backs of caterpillars found only in China, Nepal and Tibet. Synthetic versions of cordyceps have been manufactured in the West without the use of caterpillars.

Cordyceps has played a variety of roles in traditional Chinese medicine, where it has been used for approximately 1,500 years. Cordyceps fungus has been described as a very effective herb for treating circulatory, respiratory and immune problems, as well as sexual dysfunction. It was also classified as a general health tonic because of its capability to improve energy, stamina, appetite, endurance, and sleeping patterns. In tradition Chinese medicine cordyceps is used for the kidney and lungs meridians.

Exactly how cordyceps works is something of a mystery. Compounds found in cordyceps are classified as HDPs, or host defense potentiators. These compounds include: hemicellulose, polysaccharides, nucleosides, triterpeniods, complex starches and other molecules. Combinations of these compounds are now believed to stimulate the human immune system, and may aid in neuron transmission, metabolism, hormonal balance, and nutrient and oxygen transport.

Corydalis (yan hu suo)

What is corydalis? What is it used for?

Corydalis is a tall, thin herb native to the Zhejiang province of China. The plant consists of a thin, green stem with green leaves and yellow flowers. The rhizome is used for medicinal purposes.

In traditional Chinese medicine, corydalis is believed to invigorate the blood, facilitate the movement of qi throughout the body, and reduces menstrual, abdominal and hernial pain.

To date, a total of 20 alkaloids have been isolated in corydalis, the most powerful of which is a compound called tetrahydropalmatine (THP). Lab tests have shown that THP acts as an analgesic and sedative and can have a wide range of actions on the central nervous system. Animal studies have found that THP decreases the stickiness of platelets, which helps protect against heart attacks and strokes, and can lower heart rate and blood pressure. Human trials have found that THP can help people with insomnia fall asleep easier, without any adverse side effects, and a Chinese study conducted in 1990 found that HTP could reduce nerve pain and pain associated with menstruation.

How much corydalis should I take?

The recommended dosage for corydalis is 5-10 grams per day of the dried rhizome. Some practitioners recommend an alternative of 10-20 millileters of an extract daily as an alternative.

What forms of corydalis are available?

Many Asian markets and specialty stores sell dried or powdered corydalis root. Corydalis is also available as a tablet or as an alcohol-based extract.

What can happen if I take too much corydalis? Are there any interactions I should be aware of? What precautions should I take?

The American Herbal Products Association has assigned corydalis a class 2B rating, meaning that it should not be taken by pregnant or nursing women. Some individuals who take large doses of corydalis may experience vertigo, fatigue or nausea. In addition, there have been many reports of subjects experiencing THP toxicity, which could lead to hepatitis.

At present, there are no known drug interactions with corydalis.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Could you please keep the titles of your posts to one line. It really helps to keep someone else's post from prematurely rolling over to Page 2. With the volumn we have now on this message board, it really helps. Thanks.

Love, Mikie