Anyone tried getting Home health-care Insurance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ILoveGreen, May 19, 2012.

1. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I recently inquired about (retirement) home-health care insurance and was told that I would not qualify because I am disabled. I knew there was a "window of opportunity" during which to apply (don't apply too soon or you'll pay unneccessary premiums & don't wait too long or you'll be denied) so I guess that window slammed shut before I even applied. I was told by a Genco agent (AARP recommended) that they do not underwrite disabled people of any age. I explained my situation, and he still said that no company he knows of underwrites disabled applicants. Having sold Life, Accident & Health insurance, in a way it makes sense from their perspective, yet there are many levels of disability. Simply stated, we are out of luck if already labeled disabled. However the good news is if any of you out there are not yet on SSDI and don't have HIV, heart disease, or any of the other deal-breakers, it's not too late to apply for home health-care insurance! (To enable you to avoid going to a LT care facility.)
  2. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

was my deal-breaker for LT home-health care... I've been disabled with it since age 40, then Dx'd with FM @ age 46 and was declined coverage @ age 51. The coverage is for in-home skilled nursing care. The idea is to avoid having to go to a nursing home, to be able to spend your entire life in your own home until you die.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2012]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/19/2012]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was an insurance agent and sold LTC and HHC insurance. No company that I know of will sign someone up once he or she is disabled. It's like trying to buy insurance that covers childbirth when one is pregnant. I believe the new ObamaCare laws only cover pre-existing conditions when it comes to healthcare. Hmmmm, now that I think about it, I wonder whether pregnant women can buy healthcare ins. But, I digress...underwriting stds. are very high for buying this kind of insurance because LTC and HHC are expensive to provide.

Love, Mikie
  4. spacee

spacee Member

Kinda funny, the deal breaker for me was FM. Which I don't have but my
    doc would put it down "cause I always see CFS and FM together".

Just fyi, I was disabled with CFS at age 36 and turned down at age 60.

Yes, I wonder what will happen but did try at least.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that what they put in patients' records become legal documents which can be used against them. Because I likely suffer from a chronic Herpes-Family Vrus, like CMV, EBV, or HHV-6, my lazy doc put down just "Herpes." Now, other docs assume I have genital Herpes. There's no shame in having it but I don't have it. We don't even know for certain that I have a chronic Herpes-Family Virus. We assumed it because when I went on AV's, I got better.

Other mistakes can occur when charts are converted to digital records. This is often done in foreign countries. After my chart was digitized, it stated that I have painful ejaculation--and I'm a woman! The doc did erase that because it was such a blatant mistake but how about the not so obvious mistakes?

I saw a shrink for grief counseling after I got sick. My doc deduced, incorrectly, that I suffered from depression and put that in my records. It did work in my favor when I got SSD but it's not correct.

Another interesting thing happened when I sent for my records from the doc who first treated my mycoplasma infection, the same pathogen suspected in Gulf War Illness. I lived next to a military facility and got sick just as soldiers were being vaccinated prior to deployment for the first Gulf War. My doc was also next to this facility. My records had been scrubbed, including the lab report which identified mycoplasma antibodies as the infection which had made me so sick. Only the phone message from me waiting for my lab results remained. It mentioned nothing about the mycoplasma infection. I was treated for this for several months so there had to have been records of my office visits and the ABX I was prescribed. Am I paranoid enought to believe a govt. coverup? After reading about the lengths to which the govt. covered up the mycoplasma-GWI connection, I'm beginning to believe it.

But, I digress. When I was in insurance, I would sit down with people and fill out all the paperwork for health insurance. They would swear they were perfectly healthy and answer, "no," to the health questions. I always warned them that to lie on the form was criminal. Then, when the medical records came, they would have several conditions to which they said they didn't have. I would tell them if there were mistakes, they needed to get it cleared up because those records follow them for life.

Love, Mikie