Anyone tried Guaifenesin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HelenSpremulli, Jan 9, 2003.

1. HelenSpremulli

HelenSpremulli New Member

Hi, my name is Helen and I am new to this support group/message board. I've been diagnosed with
    fibromyalgia and have been suffering with it for about 5 years. It first started from a repetitive strain
    injury involving my right shoulder and arm. Now I have pain in my lower back, groin and legs. I've been
    checked so many times for different causes, but everything turns out normal. Although, I think the pain
    lead to the discovery of endometriosis (for which I had laser surgery and recently had a laparoscopy
    confirming that the endometrosis is completely gone) and medullary sponge kidney (calcifications in the
    middle of both my kidneys but of which I should not have pain).
    Over the holidays I got so much worse, that I can barely sit. I have to stand to eat my meals and lean
    back to sit at a desk for any length of time. I'm at the point where I want to try anything and everything
    to get better since various medications, acupuncture, physiotherapy, moist heat, exercise etc. don't
    really help.
    I recently read about guaifenesin (experimental therapy) and wondered if any of you had given it a try
    and what the results were.
    Your partner in pain,
    Helen
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Welcome to our board. I'm glad you found us.

There are a few of us here on the Guai treatment, including me. I have been on the treatment for about 1 1/2 years and am about 3/4 reversed. Unfortunately, I also have CFIDS, so even though I seldome need anything for pain anymore, I still suffer some fatigue and cognitive problems.

The first step for anyone thinking of starting the Guai treatment is to buy Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA." I read it through three times before deciding to start the Guai treatment. Understanding the theory and protocol are critical to success with the Guai treatment. It is a long-term treatment and takes patience, trial and error to find the proper dose, and willingness to eliminate salicylates from one's regimen (the book explains this). Failure is almost guaranteed if one doesn't follow the procedures exactly, especially in the beginning. This treatment really takes commitment.

Now, that said, it is the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing the symptoms of FMS. Many of us have had remarkable recoveries from the symptoms of FMS. I am so thankful that I found this treatment and highly recommend it to anyone who is willing to try it and stick with it long enough to get the benefits. I believe where there have been failures, it is because the protocol was not followed, the proper dose was not arrived at, or there were hidden sals involved.

You can use the search feature here to read past posts on the Guai and you can use the web search engine to find Dr. St. Amand's web site searching either on his name or on the word, Guaifenesin. Good luck. After reading the book, feel free to ask any questions and someone here will help you. Also, Dr. St. Amand's co-author and nurse, Claudia Merck, will answer questions on the website, usually within 24 hours.

Love, Mikie
  3. seaview

seaview New Member

I have been using the guai since Nov. Do as Mikie says and read the book through several times,visit his website,and Tesas site(there is a link from DR.Amands to it). It is not for the people who just want a quick fix. YOu have to think through everything you put in your mouth and on your skin. At both DR. Amands site and Tesas they list the ok products and how to check yours . You must stop all supplements with herbs or vgetable products in them. I just went to the list that told me what shampoos,lotions,deordorant and so on I could use and bought those. My brain couldnt handle trying to figure anything out. I use baking soda for toothpaste. that is probably the thing I like least. My mouth nevr has that minty just brushed taste(my own gripe).....Please do not be overwhelmed by all it requires...it can be done! I told my doctor I had tried all his drugs(and there were lots of them with yucky side effects) and nothing worked so would he please give me an RX for this and let me try it.You can but it over the counter(they just started selling it on this site)but the mg are low. I am at 1800 mg since the first of Dec. Yes, I am in more pain....but, according to the protocol that is good. How long this higher level of pain lasts before I get some relief I am not sure. But, I have tried what the doctors have to offer and I have to believe this is our only real hope for change. I have been sick for at least 18 or so years so I keep telling myself the wait is worth it if I can get to a toleralbe place of living again. I have 5 children I am trying to raise in the midst of this. I think I may try the hypoglycemic diet next just to make sure. So, be encouraged that you can do this if you set your heart to it. Some think it is to hard to stick to because you have to be so careful about the sals but it really is not that hard .....I promise. It is harder to live in this pain! Do ask all the questions you need to as several of us on using it. Mikie is very knowledgeable and is always quick to answer. Look forward to getting to know you as time goes by..Gentle hugs and blessings....Kathleen
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That chewing cinnamon gum, which is allowed, helps my breath because the Barbie toothpaste I use sure doesn't :) It's a small price to pay for the benefits I have received from the Guai treatment.

Kathleen, Jude, and Sky are very knowledgeable about the Guai and there are some others as well. Forgive me, all y'all whose names I've left out. My memory is shot today. I increased my dose to 2400 mgs. and, while the majority of the pain has gone from the Guai flare, the fatigue and mental tiredness remain.

Kathleen, I don't how long the flares last when we increase as I suspect they differ from person to person and even from time to time. When I first increased from 1200 to 1800 mgs, the flare was sooooo bad and lasted so long that I went back to the 1200 mgs. for a while. Later, when I was feeling better, I tried again and was successful. Why? I don't know. When I increased to 2400 mgs, the flare was much more painful than any others but didn't last as long. I was quite surprised because I figure I'm about 3/4 reversed and didn't think this poor old bod had that much debris left.

One thing I did too: When I was on 1800 mgs a day, after a while, instead of cutting one of the pills to take 900 mgs morning and night, I took 1200 mgs in the morning and 600 mgs in the evening. I figured that since we don't pee as much during the night, that the majority of the Guai benefit takes place during the daytime. I had a flare just from rearranging my dose. That may be why the flare didn't last as long when I increased to 2400 mgs. I was short but very, very painful. I'm going to stop here at the 2400 mg. dose.

Well, I've written "War and Peace" here, but your post brought some things to mind that I though I would share.

Love, Mikie