anyone tried kava for sleep or anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I sleep okay... but not great. Still looking for one last herb to top me off and get me the rest of the way there, and help with the harder nights. Anyone tried kava? It's supposed to work well for anxiety too. Good experiences? Any weird reactions?

So far I take St. John's Wort, valarian, passionflower, l-theanine and green tea extract for sleep. The l-theanine with green tea has helped me SO much. Since I started using it I slept deeper and could actually get out of bed in the morning. If I could get one other herb in the mix to get my sleep the rest of the way better, that would really help me.

Any other natural sleep products that have helped you?

Thanks! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... ;)
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

doing some research on Kava and finding out it caused liver damage too.

I take melatonin 3mg along with the ZMA from Prohealth shop.

Valerian helped me sleep but gave me terrible nightmares.

love
    Rosie
  3. kch64

kch64 New Member

Hi Shannon..I haven't tried it but because of what the other posts said, I heard of liver damage.

A safer alternative would be SAM-E. My doctor told me to try it. It really calms you down, but I can't take it because I'm so sensitive. I would need a quarter of the dosage. I try to break it sometimes, but it's a pain, so I just do without it.

It's a good product and very safe.

Good luck in your search. Kendra
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Kava is supposed to be great for that, but I took it one time & my brain turned to "mush". Since it's already not functioning, stopped it.

LIGHT**********carole
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Yes, I used Kava for sleep. It elevated my liver enzymes and I had to discontinue. Unless you are monitoring your liver enzymes while taking it, it should be avoided.

Sleep problems are so difficult to help, it seems. I did not want to go the RX way. Tried many herbal preparations. The Peaceful Nights from ProHealth helped me to a degree.

What has helped me the most, and I feel I can count on is Schizandra Dreams, by Health Concerns. I get it from my acupunturist, costs about $15 for a month or so. It's a Chinese combination with schizandra, valerian, and calcium.

Although I've tried other herbals with valerian and/or schizandra, this one has worked the best. I usually get 8 hours of sleep now, sometimes waking to use the bathroom, then falling right back asleep.

Also very helpful to get me started with sleeping well, was acupunture with the Schizandra Dreams. My acupunturist used little "take home" needles (they were more like miniature tacks) in my ears that I kept in for about 5 days at a time. This helped quite a lot. They did not hurt or bother me.

Best wishes to you, nighty-night,
    Hopeful4
  6. kalaya

kalaya New Member

I did use kava once for about 3 weeks and yes it is great for relaxation and sleep but there is one caviat and this is that it caused my skin to become discolored and blotchy.Oh yes and it did cause me to gain weight which is odd due to virtualy nothing causing me to gain weight with the exception of me eating 7 times more food than the average person could eat.I stopped due to the weird side effects.
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Guess I will look elsewhere...