Anyone Tried L-Trytophen or Theanine ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Jan 28, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I posted in another post about my visit to the Doc and him wanting me to try L-Trytophen and Theanine cause with this darn DD, my adrenals are fatigued which is not helping the cfs/fm.

I haven't been able to find these supplements here in my town so going to have to order them.

Would like to hear from anyone that has tried these supplements and where did you purchase them..

Thanks and God Bless,
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Hi gg,

I had my amino acid levels checked and some of my levels were way out of range (high and low). I'm taking these 2 plus L-Carnitine and an amino supplement that contains all of them. I had almost zero Carnitine, this is a main component needed for the mitochondria to produce energy.

I order several things from have a great selection and good prices. They have a Whey Protein drink mix that is really good in Chocolate. It's called "Spirutein Whey" and it has all of the aminos in it plus a big dose of protein and vitamins. My dr told me to have one of these types of drinks daily.

Both of these aminos you listed should help w sleep. I take the Tryptophan before bed (500-1000mg). My dr told me the Theanine is good to take w caffeine in the morning to help clear the brainfog, also it helps w stress and calms the brain.

Good luck. Did you have an amino test run? You might want to ask for one, they check it in plasma and in urine. My test showed so many discrepancies in my levels, it's no wonder I'm so sick!

Just remember, you'll have to wait some time before you notice any results...I'm still waiting and I've been taking them for almost 2 months.

xxxooo Hermit

[This Message was Edited on 01/28/2009]
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

depending on which stage of adrenal fatigue you are in ... how is your blood pressure?

Many w/CFS and adrenal fatigue in the latter stages of AF, with BPs ranging to the low side.

If that is YOU, take care w/theanine. It tends to lower BP.

On the other hand, if you have normal BP or hypertension, it's a great supp. I LOVE Theanine, myself.

Tryptophan is maybe a bit better for stress, anxiety & sleep, if you have low BP problems. However, I personally would not use it if I were already on RX antidepressant, esp. any type of SSRI or SNRI. The reason is that the tryptophan converts to serotonin, and if you put extra serotonin into a system already primed with a serotonin reuptake in inhibitor, you end up with a flood of serotonin, which can cause a really serious side-effect called serotonin syndrome. It can be fatal.

Best wishes.

LISALOO New Member

Other than helpping me sleep, It really doesn't do anything.

I never heard about seratonin syndrome, must look up.