Anyone tried Lithium Orotate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swedeboy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

According to my hair analysis results my Lithium levels are really low.
    My Lithium was < 0.004
    The reference range is 0.007- 0.023

I have read a little about Lithium Orotate. It's an over-the-counter low dose natural lithium. I am thinking about trying it. But I am curious if anyone has used it?

Here is some wikipedia info:
    Lithium orotate is a type of lithium salt which is a mineral form of the natural salt, lithium. It is generally sold as an alternative to lithium carbonate. Since lithium orotate is not approved by the FDA for use as a drug in the United States, it may be obtained over-the-counter.

The amount of elemental lithium in each tablet is much lower than those in lithium carbonate pills. Because of this, blood tests are not required for people taking lithium orotate. The lithium is attached to an orotate ion, rather than to a carbonate ion.

According to proponents of lithium orotate treatment, this allows the lithium to cross the blood-brain barrier more effectively, and significantly reduces the amount of lithium required in order for the lithium to have a therapeutic effect for use in combating depression and stabilizing bipolar moods. Lithium orotate is sold under a wide variety of brand names and is available at some drugstores and health food stores.

There is no evidence for the use of lithium orotate in clinical treatment in preference to lithium carbonate, and some suggest that it may be harmful. However, there is some evidence that lithium orotate may be useful in the treatment of addictions.[1]

Some patients prefer to use it in place of lithium carbonate, as they believe that it is more bioavailable and the side effects tend to be significantly reduced. Lithium orotate is generally marketed as a dietary supplement used in small doses to treat conditions including stress, manic depression, alcoholism, ADHD and ADD, aggression, PTSD, Alzheimer's and to improve memory.

People don't use the same amounts of lithium carbonate as lithium orotate because they are used and absorbed by the body in different ways. An effective dose of lithium orotate typically contains 15 mg of elemental lithium compared to 126 mg of elemental lithium from lithium carbonate. More than 700% more lithium is used with lithium carbonate. Because of this some people believe it is much safer than the carbonate form.
  2. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

I don't know anything about the lithium orotate that you mention, but if it is as similar lithium carbonate as it says you must be careful.. Lithium is prescribed for bipolar disorder and even though it is a "natural salt" lithium levels must be monitored and there are interactions with other meds etc that you must be aware of...for example you have to limit your salt intake on Lithium. The side effects of too much Lithium are not fun, I know, I was on it for a couple can cause hand tremors and other SERIOUS side effects. I would not take it unless it was prescribed AND CLOSELY monitored by a physician. It is not something to take as a supplement.
  3. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

The dose I am considering starts at about 4mg of lithium orotate.

"An effective dose of lithium orotate typically contains 15 mg of elemental lithium compared to 126 mg of elemental lithium from lithium carbonate. More than 700% more lithium is used with lithium carbonate. Because of this some people believe it is much safer than the carbonate form."
  4. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

What intially got me interested in this is that my hair lithium levels are very low. And someone on the Yahoo Adult Heavy Group suggested I supplement with Lithium Orotate. After some research it sounds worht trying. I read some testimonials on a "health talk" forum from people with low hair lithium levels and the comments sounded compelling.

I am wondering if my "agitated exhaustion" is correlated with my low lithium levels? Plus I do often get moody.

5. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I would not take lithium until you deal with your low sodium issues and adrenal burnout. Taking lithium will have a tendency to reduce sodium. The most important minerals to focus on are Ca/Mg/Na/K/Cu/Fe/Zn/Mn Until you deal with these there's not much point in playing around with the minor minerals and often when you balance the majors the minor ones will take care of themselves.

One other thing you really have to understand with Hair Mineral analysis is that just because you are low on something doesn't mean you don't have it in your body...minerals are often just bio unavailable and stored away in body tissues and therefore don't show up in the hair. Once you start balancing you minerals they will often start unloading from the storage sites. You will often see this with Cu/Fe/Mn and Aluminum and other of the toxic minerals.

The main minerals are what is going to give you your health back. Unless you're manic/depressive I would stay away from the lithium...(my own hair mineral analysis shows low lithium but my health is just fine) you're just playing with your time which could be spent on your bigger mineral issues. Until you get your sodium/potassium levels worked out I would stay away from lithium.
  6. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for the feedback. Which minerals indicate adrenal burnout?
  7. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

I am wondering where you get all of this precious info on mineral balancing? I am curious because I would like to learn more myself. I mean I always thought that if one is low on something then they can just supplement it. Like with my low lithium levels.

Could you tell me again which minerals you think I should be taking more of, and what is the best form, such as carbonate, chelate etc.? Some how the lab mistakingly put my hair color down as black, when it is more of a dark blond/lightbrown, do you know if this will make a difference?

Thanks a million Stormsky

Here are my ratios and levels again:

Ca/Mg 7.06 4- 30 calcium/magnesium
    Ca/P 1.13 0.8- 8 calcium/phosphorus
    Na/K 2.25 0.5- 10 sodium/potassium
    Zn/Cu 20.9 4- 20 Zinc/Copper
    Zn/Cd > 999 > 800 Zinc/Cadmium

Calcium, mine is: 219 normal range is: 200- 750

Magnesium 31 25- 75

Sodium 45 12- 90

Potassium 20 9- 40

Copper 11 10- 28

Zinc 230 130- 200

Manganese 0.07 0.15- 0.65

Chromium 0.46 0.20- 0.40

Vanadium 0.065 0.018- 0.065

Molybdenum 0.026 0.025- 0.064

Boron 0.81 0.40- 3.0

Iodine 0.22 0.25- 1.3

Lithium < 0.004 0.007- 0.023

Phosphorus 194 160- 250

Selenium 1.3 0.95- 1.7

Strontium 0.39 0.30- 3.5

Sulfur 52200 44500- 52000

Barium 0.22 0.16- 1.6

Cobalt 0.015 0.013- 0.035

Iron 10 5.4- 13

Germanium 0.030 0.045- 0.065

Rubidium 0.023 0.011- 0.12

Zirconium 0.037 0.020- 0.44

[This Message was Edited on 02/20/2007]
  8. lanya

lanya New Member

yeah, i took it several years ago for the same problem during mercury detox. MD recommended it. seemed to help, didn't hurt anyway. it wasn't that expensive but it is hard to find. it's a tiny amount of lithium.

if you find a good source, let me know!
  9. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for the comments!

If you enter "lithium orotate" in a google search then several companies selling it will come up.
  10. cct

cct Member

A couple of years ago, I took liquid mineral lithium. I took it just every once in awhile. It helped.

Recently, I contacted the manufacturer of the liquid minerals and they told me that the FDA had threatened them and they were no longer allowed to produce the liquid lithium supplement.

I was not happy that this helpful supplement had been discontinued.

So, I am very interested to read your post about lithium orotate.

I know that I do not need very much lithium and I do not need it all of the time. Perhaps the lithium orotate would be a great substitute for the liquid lithium.

Thanks for the information!

11. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

As far as getting more information the best place is to get the book "Nutritional Balancing and hair mineral Analysis" by Lawrence Wilson. He also has a good website with lots of interesting articles relating to Hair Analysis. Just google him up and you should find it.

Yes, Analyzing what you need to take is not as straight forward as supplementing what you're low on. You have to understand the basic concepts behind Hair Mineral analysis before you can start supplementing with the right things and get good results. As you're finding out, being low on something may also indicate a hidden toxicity, it's not entirely straightforward or intuitive, but often it is, confused yet? Read more about it and read the book, it will help you to understand the theory behind the analysis and also the relationship between the minerals and how they affect one another during supplementation.

The following I wrote you in another thread a while back.

You managanese is quite low and you're low on iodine. Two very imporant minerals. But taking managanese will deplete your copper levels and since you're already borderline with copper, I would start working on your copper first. I've found that raising copper levels can improve managanese levels over time so it's better to work with the copper in the beginning and see where it goes. Copper is the body's natural defense against candida and is involved in many other vital chemical reactions. If you feel the urge to take manganese try to be moderate. I would take no more than 1 or 2mg a day but not at the same time as the copper. And make sure you take the copper 2mg with food 2 or 3 times a day.

Iodine, it's a good idea to get some extra. Very important for proper thyroid function and you're very low.

Your Na/K ration (45/20) is a bit low at 2.25. This is an indication of moderate adrenal burnout. This ratio should be up between 2.5 and 4. This is the vitality ratio and is considered the most important mineral ratio. You need some adrenal support. Raising your copper status will help in this regard as well as taking a good Vitamin E, Multi B 50, with extra B5 (500mg). Also, drinking a glass of salt water every morning helps with this (It's not as bad as you think. I do this every morning and it really helps...1/2 teaspoon in a glass of water. Since you're low on iodine I would use iodized salt). And I would stay away from any multi vitamin and mineral. It's only going to further unbalance your minerals. Also, taking a precursor hormone like Pregnenalone can support what your adrenals can't make. I used to take it as well as DHEA and testosterone. But now that my adrenals are working again I just use the vitamins and salt water and take an herb blend for support.

Your Ca/Mg ratio is unbalanced with not enough Mg (your ratio is 7.1 (219/31) you should be a bit lower around 5. Getting a little extra magnesium can help - 400mg daily but don't take any extra Calcium.

Your toxic mineral levels look fine...I wouldn't worry about the little bit of mercury. You might want to take some N-acetyl cysteine to help with the chelation but not much here to worry about. But stay away from chelation agents like EDTA. They will reduce your copper levels even more. And stay away from too much vitamin will also reduce your copper status.

Good luck.

12. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Okay it's starting to sink in now. And I found Dr. Wilson's website too, Thanks!
  13. rpatzer

rpatzer New Member

Dr. Jonathan Wright has a good 2 part article on just that topic.
  14. brainfoggy

brainfoggy New Member

My doc said it is neuroprotective. I take it with fish oil. Also take lugols solution (iodine) and do a patch test on my skin daily for thyroid.
  15. elliespad

elliespad Member

There is a bath salts product called, Queen Helene - Batherapy Mineral Bath Salts. The Lavender is wonderful. Contains lots of minerals including Lithium Chloride. Here is the ingredient list: Sodium Sequicarbonate, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Fragrance, Natural Lavender Oil, Water, Glycerin, Lithium Chloride, Sulfur, Potassium Iodide.

I first read about this product while researching some Autism treatments several years ago.

It is carried in all our local grocery stores, drug stores, Walmart and Kmart. About $5.00.
  16. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Thanks for the post.
    Keep us updated on the L.O. treatment :)