Anyone tried MET or TENS therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Mar 10, 2003.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Dear All,

Below is description. I heard that these Units are expensive but if you have Medicare they will pay for
    all or part of the units. Has anyone tried MET or TENS and what were the results?

Microcurrent Electrical Therapy (MET)

Microcurrent Electrical Therapy (MET) devices use sub-sensory current (millionths of an amp) that acts on the body’s naturally occurring electrical impulses to decrease pain and facilitate the healing process. The current is delivered through different kinds of devices - via water or gel-moistened electrodes, ear clip electrodes, felt pads, or through the finger tips of black graphite gloves. MET is similar to Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) but it it uses a significantly reduced electrical stimulation (that has a higher pulse width of 500,000 +/- microseconds). In theory, TENS blocks pain, while MET acts on the naturally occurring electrical impulses to decrease pain by stimulating the healing process.

2. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

I know that I saw some info on that a while back, but don't remember when. If you use the search at the top of this page & input 'tens' or 'met' you should get some answers. I don't have any experience to share w/you.
    Sorry,
    Pixie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My excperience has been that Fibro patients often are made worse by TENS, for the same reason we are made worse by Progressive Relaxation technique.
    Both work on the premise that when you tighten a muscle severely, your body will automatically correct it by loosening it as a reaction. The problem with Fibro, is that our muscles readily contract, but don't readily relax, and we can end up walking around as stiff as the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, before he found that oil can!
    I have only known one Fibro patient who was helped by Tens, and many who were made worse. However, if you can rent or borrow a unit to try it out, anything is worth trying once.
    If you have CFS,I have no idea what it would do.
    Klutzo
  4. Echos

Echos New Member

Hi all, Echos here. I actually have both units. I've found the TENS unit to work better. I got very lucky with mine, as I worked for a Pain management Doctor whom gave me both units for my pain. The TENS unit that I have, has multiple settings for its strength and impulses. It contracts and relaxes the muscles and surrounding tissues and helps in healing and the blocking of pain. We also found that most of our patients, (most being fibro and sports related) preferred the TENS over the METS as do I. The TENS unit works almost like ultrasound therapy. I don't know if any of you have had that done. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. My mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis and also uses my TENS unit. They can be expensive, so shop around. If you pay more than $85.00, you've paid to much. I'll get you some info on the best place to purchase at a better cost if you would like. My unit is one of the more expensive unit costing (if I had to pay) $130.00. Let me know and I'll get the info on it. If your wondering whether or not it will work, it does.

Echos
  5. Echos

Echos New Member

Hello, me again. I also wanted to mention EMS Units as well. Electronic Muscle Stimulator. Works great. My TENS unit has an EMS unit with it. You can find them two in one like mine. OHHHHHHH, I can feel it now.
    Echos
  6. lea

lea Member

Hi Echos:

Please let me know what is the model number of your tens unit and where it can be purchased. I am interested in one like yours.

thank you in advance
    best,
    lea

>>

If you pay more than $85.00, you've paid to much. I'll get you some info on the best place to purchase at a better cost if you would like. My unit is one of the more expensive unit costing (if I had to pay) $130.00. Let me know and I'll get the info on it. If your wondering whether or not it will work, it does.

>>>>>
  7. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

i borrow my neighbours tens machine when i have a bad tension headache that wont go away.i find it works well right away.the only thing that bothers me is all the cords with it ect.but hey,if it takes the pain away then it cant be too bad!
    hope you find what helps you
  8. aryiella

aryiella New Member

I have a portable TENS unit myself. I have used it on my shoulders/back when I've had really bad pain, and it helps while it's on, but it seems like the second I take it off, the pain is back. I actually read somewhere that it works by blocking pain signals, so it makes sense that when you take it off it isn't going to help anymore! I think it's only a very small weapon in the anti-pain arsenal.

Holly