Anyone tried Mirapex?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shan1078, Feb 27, 2006.

1. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I have recently found an article about the use of Mirapex for FM patients. I am wondering if anyone here has heard of it or has tried it before. The article made it sound like a pretty promising drug. I can post the article,but I'm not really sure how to do that.

Just curious !!
  2. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

I was going to ask my rhuemy about it last time i went in but then I read the side effects!! Scary stuff.
    Recent reports have linked Mirapex to gambling addiction and other unhealthy compulsive behaviors.
    More common side effects may include:
    Abnormal dreams, arthritis, chest pain, confusion, constipation, decreased sensitivity to touch, difficulty breathing, difficulty walking, dizziness, dizziness upon standing, drowsiness, dry mouth, hallucinations, increased muscle tone, increased urination, insomnia, involuntary movement (jerky motions), lack of appetite, memory loss, nasal inflammation, nausea, swelling, urinary tract infections, vision abnormalities, weakness.
    and this is just a part of the reason I decided against Mirapex!!!!
  3. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Oh my goodness, thanks for telling me!! I was going to ask my Dr. about it, but NOT anymore!! The side effects are almost as bad as FM itself.

THANK YOU
  4. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

I don't know I thought about asking him anyway but that just scared the heck out of me!
    There was also something about people falling asleep suddenly while driving!!! Nope, not me.
  5. maris

maris New Member

My Mirapex Experience:

I wanted to try Mirapex because I heard it helped with leg pain, the most problematic and painful area for me.

My Doctor started me with two .25 mg tablets for three days, and then would add a tablet for another three days, until I was taking eight .25 mg tablets to equal 200 mgs.
    200 mgs is the dose for treating fibromyagia, which is much higher than for Parkinson's disease.

I have to tell you that every time the medication increased I would go into a flare and become very nauseous.

Having tried so many other meds, I was determinded to make this medication work for me. So I stuck it out, ate crackers, candied ginger, and drank ginger ale for the nausea.

After about a week on the full dose, the nausea left me, and I noticed that I hadn't had leg pain in a very long time.
    I also lost ten pounds in two months. After being on it for five months, I lost a total of sixteen pounds.

I continue to have much less over all pain, hardly any leg pain, more energy, and not much of an appetite. I make an effort to choose more nutrious foods since I don't eat as much as before, and I make sure I drink plenty of pure water.
    I also take a vitamin supplement every day that is made for fibromyalgia.

So far Mirapex is working for me, but I had to go through some unpleasant side effects which eventually went away.

I would do it all over again.

Almost everything has potential side effects.
    Only you and your doctor can decide if this medication is right for you.
    I hope this is helpful to you.

Maris
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Don't know why..I think anything that stimulates my brain chemicals causes a reaction.

I had to stop it.
  7. Daisys

Daisys Member

I took it years ago for restless leg syndrome and it worked well for me. I don't remember any side effects.
    Eventually, I backed off it and the RLS didn't come back until recently. I went back on the Mirapex it's working well for me again without any negative side effects. I am losing weight, not complaining about that at all!

Even aspirin looks scary when you look at all the possible side effects, but most of them are very rare.
    They have to list anything that's happened to anyone that's taken the drug, no matter how rare it is. Of course, every one is different and if you're that rare person, it's 100% bad for you!
  8. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

Gotta say, that sounds really good!! Does it help pain in the other areas, neck , shoulder, etc.? And once you begin to loose weight, how do you stop so you don't loose too much? This would be a great side-effect for me! Also, you say it increases your energy. My biggest problems with FM is the pain and the lack of energy.

Is it safe to take pain medication until the Mirapex takes effect? Sorry so many questions, but I'm really interested in this. I think that I will discuss the possibility of trying these with my Rheumy, and see what he says. So, there were no other "major" side effects.

Sorry so long, thanks for the reply!!
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/27/2006]
  9. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

10. maris

maris New Member

The only side effect that I noticed was mostly the nausea.
    I had a bit of dry mouth and constipation but I think that was due mostly to lack of appetite.

The weight loss has leveled off. I still don't eat as much as I used to, but I am no longer losing weight.

To answer your question about pain meds, I take tramadol several times a day. The mirapex has helped my pain but hasn't completely eliminated it.
    It helps with energy that I often times forget that I have fibro and over do things and end up having to take tramadol
    until I recover.

As far as I know there are no major nasty side effects except as I wrote, I went into a flare every time my doctor increased my dose.
    He said he had never heard of this before, but there is another member here that this happened to.
    The flare went away by the third day, just in time to increase the dose again.

This went on for six weeks, so you see, I was very determind to get on this medication, and I'm glad I did.

Wishing you the best.
    Maris
  11. laf5307

laf5307 New Member

Mirapex has helped my pain too! Experienced some weight loss in the being but I have not had any more recently. I take 2 0.25 tabs 3 X a day. Still have pain and it doesn't prevent flares but the pain is much more tolerable. I did not experience any unpleasant side effects.
  12. Daisys

Daisys Member

I was given mirapex for restless leg syndrome and was unaware that it can ease pain, so if it does, that will be a bonus! I just went up to .75 today.
    Since I am already almost 100% relieved of the RLS, I will probably not take more than this so hopefully .75 will be enough to put a dent in my muscle soreness.
  13. and both times didn't like the way it made me feel...crummy, nauseous, etc. Too many weird sick effects for me.
  14. neeter1

neeter1 New Member

I have not experienced any side effects....and it has helped with the fibro pain immensly!!! Best thing I have tried for it yet..helping with the my sleep patterns also!!
    Neeter
  15. ksc

ksc New Member

I've been on it for almost 3 yrs and have had no side effects. It has changed my life. The pain is almost completely gone, my brain works again, I have energy and a life now. Some people have problems with it. My pain level on a scale of 1-10 was a 10. It is now more like 2. So for me the results far out way the risk. You also don't have to stay on it. Once your adrinaline levels are normal and so are your dopamine- you should beable to go off it.
    Kathy