Anyone tried Monolaurin as successful anti-viral?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Krista47, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Has anyone tried Monolaurin for their viral problems? It was recommended to me but I didn't find it on the ProHealth Store so was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

Thanks,
    Kris
    -------------------------------

Monolaurin is a monoglyceride comprised of lauric acid and glycerol.

Monolaurin possesses anti-viral activity against several Viruses that reside in cell membranes (it prevents their entry into cell membranes).

Monolaurin attacks the lipid membrane of the Herpes simplex and Herpes zoster Viruses [in vitro research].

Monolaurin attacks the lipid membrane of Influenza Viruses [in vitro research].

As the HIV Virus (responsible for AIDS) is also a Virus that resides in the cell membrane, it is possible that Monolaurin may also be effective against this Virus [this has not yet been tested: it is a scientific theory only]
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My doctor encouraged me to take it for EBV but I haven't done much research on it. Is it derived from coconut oil?

Jan
  3. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Is it a prescription drug or a supplement?
  4. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

It's a supplement, that you can buy from several of the internet vitamin companies.

It is also a pretty good anti-fungual,,,,,i.e. it helps to get rid of candida overgrowth in the intestinal tract.

JT
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Has monolaurin helped anyone?
  6. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I found one report that said it is derived from coconut oil. I read a lot of good reviews. One said it had to be a good % in order for it to do any good.

I went ahead and ordered some. I'll let you know what I experience.

Thanks all,
    Kris
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2004]
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

8. Keelie

Keelie New Member

9. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I took a very small dose of Lauricidin (monolaurin) pellets last night. Probably a quarter dose because I was afraid of the die off. Took another quarter dose this am.

I read that Krista47 is also trying a monolaurin product, and I am interested in her progress as well. It is also an option on Dr. Teitelbaum's protocol. I ordered my monolaurin from Med-Chem Labs on the web. The doctor who created it had very good credentials, so I went ahead and took it. It's been around for several years and is used as aa preservative in food.

I am assuming my relapse is due to a Herpes Family virus (Epstein, CMV, etc.) Since my doctor doesn't want to investigate, I'm going by blind intuition.

Here we go...

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 08/20/2004]
  10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

11. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I took the Monolaurin for about a week and it definately had an effect. I stopped it because I was also doing microcurrent therapy and ABX for Lyme Disease. The herx was a killer.

I will go back on the Monolaurin after my first round of ABX is complete in about 6 weeks or so. The ABX should help me get the bacterial load down so my immune system can start to build up and work on the viral load along with the Monolaurin.

I had started at 3 capsules a day and cut back to 1 capsule 3x's a day because it did put me right into a herx.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Kris
  12. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi Krista, How long did your Herx last? Ive got all the alphabet soup diagnoses too (CFS/FM/LD/MCS & etc.). I would really like to take an antiviral and this one sound like a good place to start. It seems that the rx ones are too specific, unless you know exactly what you're aim at.

I'm never sure if I am having the Herxheimer or a reaction or just getting another "sicker cycle" when i try something new. Thanks and good luck.
  13. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Monolaurin is some pretty potent stuff. It reacts pretty fast, and you do feel worse. I didn't take a dose last night, and I feel "better" today. Maybe one has to start out with tiny doses. It is hard to tell if it's herxing or an allergic reaction. I wish there were more testimonials as to its effectiveness. Do you feel like a guinea pig?

CherylSue
  14. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I'm right there with you. I agree, we are guinea pigs. I only took it for a few days and had to back off on the dosage. I stopped because I was already herxing from the microcurrent therapy and the ABX. The Monolaurin really kicked me over the edge. I had an immediate and stong herx.

I agree with cherylsue. I think we have to start really slow then see what happens. I too wonder if it's an alergic reaction or a herx sometimes. I do a similar thing where I'll take it then go without it to see if there is any change.

It is definately a thought in the back of my head, "what if I'm just getting worse". I'd love to see more testimonials.

Wish I could be of more help. When I start back up I'm going to start on a low dose. It is quite potent.

Good luck and thanks for posting. I'll keep posting my results.

Take care,
    Kris

I should say that I'm taking an anti parasitic med and have noticed some very interesting results so far. I'll let you know if things keep going in a positive direction. I just posted my results on the post titled "Worms" if you care to read it. With this disease you never know what's causing what. It's on page 3 of the post--it's a huge post.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2004]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2004]
  15. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I read your worms post and the effects of mebendozole were amazing. My husband is having stomach pain and the gastro thought it was gallbladder, although the tests say no. My husband talked to the gastro doctor about parasites, and he said no. We had been to Mexico in 2002, so anything is possible.

Getting back to your results, how did this affect your CFS? Do you have any more energy?

Good luck.
    CherylSue
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is the microcurrent a low-frequency, low-voltage current designed to kill pathogens? I'm just wondering whether it's like the zapper I use.

Love, Mikie
  17. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

He Cherylsue,
    I'm not sure yet how it will effect my energy in the long run but when I woke up I felt great. I think I had lots of energy due to the 7 hours of restful sleep I got. It's been a long time since I've experienced that. I've been up and about for 8 hours now and am doing fine. I'm not pushing it but I'm not laid up in bed herxing today...yet:).

I'll keep you posted. It could be a one time experience so I'll keep you posted.

Take care,
    Kris
  18. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I think there are some similarities to the Zapper. I have one too. The microcurrent therapy is "extremely low" dosage electicity (millionths of an amp). Dr. Carol explained to me that the virus is encased, it kind of coats the cell wall so they can't invade other cells.

A bit from one of Dr. Carol's articles--------
    In general it improves the functioning of cell walls, so that nutrients come in and waste materials leave more readily. It increases cell wall permeability, stimulates critical protein production and promotes ATP (natural biochemical energy) availability.
    ----------------------------------------------

Different current levels work on different problems. There is a current that is specifically for Th1 and Th2 imbalances, one for Lyme Disease, one for inflammation...

I asked Dr. Libby (the other microcurrent therapist I saw) if she thought the pain several hours later was from herxing and she thought it was. She had worked on the inflammation in my nervous system AND on a staph/strep infection showing up in my mastoids. Plus I had some mild adjustment work done.

I do think it did help my mastoids and that there has been a heavy viral load there for some time. I used to get strep throat several times a year. My throat is the first to give me problems when I start feeling sick and it's always heaviest on the right side. I hadn't told her any of that so when she found it, I was pleasantly surprised. As soon as she treated the mastoids my right one started heating up a lot, then the left one kicked in.

Dr. Carol did some work with researchers and found that microcurrent therapy reduced inflammation up to 70% which is more than any drug has proven to do so far. The paper will come out some time next year.

I still have my doubts and questions because I've experienced mainly the herx and will have to give it time to see if there is long term pain reduction and health improvements. They said that the viral issues where the most difficult to treat.

Hope things are going well. I think of you often when I'm herxing ;), and keep telling myself "herxing is good". You are a great example of the benefits of perseverance.

Take care,
    Kris
  19. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I stopped my dose of Lauricidin (monolaurin) last night, but tried a 15% 500 mg OLE instead. Well, I certainly slept through the night 6 1/2 hours, and then two naps today. I was sooo tired and flulike. I'm finally picking up this evening.

I used to take OLE all the time if colds were going around, and I never had reactions like these. Guess my viral load is high.

I'm wondering if all this herxing is that good. Isn't it a little toxic to us? Those pathogens are soo stubborn. I wouldn't mind if I herxed once and got it over with, but they are so persistent.

I find taking lemon juice in water helps with the herxing. What helps you folks with herxing?

Thanks,
    CherylSue
  20. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

I'm getting tired of it too. I also put lemon juice in my water. I don't have any tips. I can stand it up to a point but then I have to back off, especially if I want any kind of life.

I expect to go through a lot over the next few weeks but I'm hoping it slacks off. If it doesn't I'll have to quit and try again next summer. When it continues for a long time I start wondering if the supplement is making me sick or what? It seems like it would reduce over time. That's what I'm hoping.

I don't know if the toxins are bad. I just assumed that killing off the bad stuff was good and it would flush out of my system sooner or later.

I was reading a post on the board last night from a guy that was saying he read that 90% of folks with CFIDS get over it within 2 years. There were a lot of responses to the contrary. But I couldn't help thinking, what if I have put myself through all this and I would have gotten better over the long run anyway without all this extra misery. My doctor said it would get better in couple of years too but this is my 3rd year. Like most of the responses to the other post, I don't think recovery is that spontaneous.

Take care,
    Kris