Anyone tried Naltrexone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by VickyB, Feb 28, 2003.

1. VickyB

VickyB New Member

Has anyone tried fast release 4.5mgs low dose of Naltrexone? Is this really a miracle drug for pain??
  2. JLH

JLH New Member

Please educate me. What type of drug is Naltrexone? I'm going to a dr. on Monday and may want to ask about it. Thx.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I hadn't heard about it for pain, but my (15 y.o.) son took it to help him sleep and curb cravings, in his case for cigarettes. He was having anxiety attacks/depression, couldn't sleep, and none of the regular sleep meds had worked for him.

Unfortunately he had a BAD, but rare, response after 3 weeks - I spent one whole night up with him because he was essentially sleepwalking - dreaming with eyes wide open. It was scary...he talked to people who weren't there, etc. I even gave him a drug test to make sure he hadn't done something stupid, but he was clean.

I looked it up on google - naltrexone is normally used for alcohol cravings in particular, but also for autism.

My son is a lot like me, in that he has weird responses to meds.

(I ended up giving him 2 mg melatonin for sleep. I'd been hesitant before because of his age, but the psych. said it was okay - like, why couldn't we've done that first!!??)

Victoria
  4. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I found this drug listed on another messageboard where someone says that this medicine made them well again. He said Naltrexone raises endorphins and enhances the immune system. He said to take the medicine on an empty stomach before bedtime. He said only use FAST RELEASE 4.5 mgs. He swears by it and wants to educate everyone about it!!
    There is a website with more information: lowdosenaltrexone you know .org
    This medication looks too good to be true and that is why I wanted to know if anyone has tried it??
  5. VickyB

VickyB New Member

How many mgs. was your son on?? I was told there are no side effects from only 4.5 mgs.
    I would be curious to know if he was on this low of a dose??
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

My son was on 50 mg., as that's the lowest dosage one can get at the local drugstore.

I went to the website you just listed -- I didn't get to read much yet (it's almost midnight here), but it looks really interesting. Perhaps with such a low dose you won't get any side effects.

Keep us posted on what you experience if you decide to try it, okay?

Good luck, Victoria

7. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I was told the side effects are terrible at 50 mgs.
    I looked up my insurance's drugs formulas website and found they have 3 mg tablets but have to order. I was told you can have the medication compounded if the physican orders it or you can cut the pill yourself.
    This medication looks very promising and I am still hoping to run across someone who has tried Naltrexone at 4.5 mgs.

Thanks for the reply back!!