Anyone Tried NTI Plus Occlusal Mouth Guard?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw. My dentist says he is having great luck with the NTI Plus Occlusal mouth guard. I guess it only holds the front teeth apart and is not a full mouth guard. He says when the back teeth do not make contact, no clenching occurs. The cost is $296. It is custom fitted.

I'm waiting to see whether the bite adjustment he did helps with a tender tooth I have. I used to clench but thought I was no longer doing it. Now, with the allergies and sinus problems I have, the tooth is sensitive. The more sensitive it gets, the more I clench and the more I clench, the more sensitive the tooth becomes. Yikes! A horrible spiral.

I am taking Flexeril today as I had quite a bit of work done yesterday and had to have my mouth wide open for almost an hour. Everything is tender and hurts. The bill came to $466. I didn't need that, but I did need the work done.

It seems a shame that on top of everything else we have to endure that so many of us also have ongoing dental/jaw problems.

Love, Mikie
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I was diagnosed with TMJ a while back. I didn't even know that I was grinding my teeth at night! Dentist gave me a mouth guard...I don't know if it's this one or not...and my problem cleared right up. I don't even have to wear it anymore! My insurance covered the cost so I don't know how much it was, but it would have been worth it no matter.

Hope yours helps.

God Bless.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I once used a full mouth guard years ago and it only made me clench more. It also made my jaw very sore. I will wait to see whether I do better with the adjustment before I spend the money on this new gizmo. I was hoping perhaps someone here had had success with it. I trust my dentist and he tells me his patients are having success beyond what he expected when he started using it instead of the full mouth guards.

Love, Mikie
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

NTI = Nociceptive Trigeminal Inhibition Device

I bought an NTI device six years ago. It was one of my many attempts to "cure" my headaches. I used it for about two months and, unfortunately, it was not a magic bullet for me.

It didn't change my headaches at all.

Its primary purpose is to reduce involuntary clenching. This is from a pamphlet I had on the device:

"NTI suppresses the clenching reflex by preventing the posterior teeth from contacting each other. There is no surface to bite down on or bite into. The temporalis muscles are kept from contracting with their usual intensity. The clenching reflex is suppressed and almost eliminated."

My dentist thought part of my headaches could be due to clenching. I really don't think I was clenching all that much.

The NTI is just a small piece of clear plastic that fits over your front teeth. It holds your teeth apart. One of the main problems I had with the NTI was that my mouth would dry out at night. I would wake up in the middle of the night with very bad cotton mouth. So it actually made my sleep worse. And it didn't help with the headaches.

The other down side is that it is quite expensive. I can't remember what I paid, but it was obviously too much since it didn't work for me.

I guess it's another of those things that, if it works, it is worth it. Unfortunately, for me, it didn't work.

But, again, I was trying to treat headaches, not clenching.

Katy
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

It is a full upper guard.

Got mine at Walmart after finding out that I needed a root canal because I fractured a molar all the way down one wall due to nighttime clenching

I think it was about $25 dollars - you mold it yourself and it does help. I can't use it when I'm sick though because mouth-breathing is more difficult with it in...

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your responding. I really have apprehensions about sleeping with any kind of mouth guard. The full mouth guard I once used made clenching worse. I am waiting for the inflammation in my tooth, root, and bone to suside. I'm taking ibuprophen as I find it reduces inflammation best for me. I'm also taking Flexeril to try to prevent any clenching until the inflammation is gone. I'm so tired from the Flexeril but unless the tooth has a chance to heal, I'll be miserable.

The NTI costs just under $300, including the appts. to make the moldings and to fit it. That's a lot of money if it doesn't work. I also don't sleep well when my mouth is dry. I think I'll pass on it.

Thanks again for the input.

Love, Mikie
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've had an NTI for -- I think -- about a year and a half now. I've had so much dental work in my history that has been due to bruxism that I try not to think about how much I've spent on it, but if I had to compare the cost of the NTI, it would be a fraction of the cost of multiple fillings, a root canal, an extraction, two crowns, and a bridge.

I tried all mouth guards I could get my hands on, and the full-coverage ones protected the teeth surface, but they actually *encouraged* clenching. And since teeth protection was only part of the problem -- jaw pain being the other -- it only helped part of the problem.

One of the staff at an alternative clinic mentioned to me that they'd read about the NTI, so I looked it up and did some research. *For me* the concept made a lot of sense. To my surprise, my dentist knew immediately what I was asking about, and a month later, I went in for the fitting (it takes less than 45 minutes).

Way back then when I first got it, I posted my experiences. You might be able to find them by a subject search (NTI or bruxism).

I wore my first one out and needed to get another one after about a year (I went through the soft OTC full-mouth ones on a monthly basis). Unfortunately, I lost the 2nd one traveling. But like I told my dentist when I went in to get fitted for the 3rd, if I lost it again, I'd be knocking on his door the very next day to get another.

If I sleep without it, I wake up with my jaw so stiff and tense. I still 'tap', but cannot engage the masseter muscle like I used to, and that has helped so, so, so much.
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I found one of my posts. I guess I got my second one after TWO years, not one...here's the link:

http://immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=330468&B=FM#330468

I'll post another one if I find it.

P.S. I don't think it is necessary to sleep w/your mouth open. I think I keep my lips closed around it.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/30/2006]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I really appreciate your posts. Right now, the tooth and jaw are slowly getting better. My dentist told me to see how it goes with the adjustment and if I'm still having a problem, to consider the NTI. His patients are having good luck with them, especially the ones with migraines from clenching.

I guess I'll consider it if this latest doesn't help. It's good to know you can close your lips around the appliance. That would make it a lot easier to use.

Thanks again.

Love, Mikie