anyone tried the Paleo Eating Plan? aka; Caveman Diet.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TinysMom, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TinysMom

TinysMom New Member

I am very curious about this for helping fibro pain, etc---anyone heard of it or tried it??
  2. nancyhul

nancyhul Member

I am doing the paleo diet right now. I started 7 weeks ago and the pain and fatigue are twice as bad as they were beforehand. Hydrocodone doesn't touch the pain when it worsens. I thought about quitting the diet, but I read that it may take a while before definite changes take place, so I am going to give it a trial period of at least 6 months. Its just difficult trying to get through the worst of it. The thing is....I am really, really hopeful b/c I've noticed some changes, although small. Even though the pain remains bad, generally, it shifts in different parts of my body from day to day. One day it may significantly worsen in my legs, and the next it's a little better. some days I'll sleep until mid afternoon and the next I'm not as fatigued. Although I may not agree with everything in the paleo book, most of it makes sense to me. I think this diet may help a lot of people.
  3. nancyhul

nancyhul Member

I am doing the paleo diet right now. I started 7 weeks ago and the pain and fatigue are twice as bad as they were beforehand. Hydrocodone doesn't touch the pain when it worsens. I thought about quitting the diet, but I read that it may take a while before definite changes take place, so I am going to give it a trial period of at least 6 months. Its just difficult trying to get through the worst of it. The thing is....I am really, really hopeful b/c I've noticed some changes, although small. Even though the pain remains bad, generally, it shifts in different parts of my body from day to day. One day it may significantly worsen in my legs, and the next it's a little better. some days I'll sleep until mid afternoon and the next I'm not as fatigued. Although I may not agree with everything in the paleo book, most of it makes sense to me. I think this diet may help a lot of people.
  4. kchase77

kchase77 Member

Saw the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross...he lost 85 lbs, got rid of his auto-immune disease, and got fit on a 60-day juice fast. Then he went back to eating and keeps a healthy diet now. Google it and read up.

Bought my juicer and can't wait to start!

I have also read that wheatgrass is a Superfood and that Kamut is 1000 times better than wheatgrass.....since my juicer won't do greens or grass well I found organic barley grass juice powder and green kamut, both from Pure Planet, and am going to mix a teaspoon of it with water every day to get the greens I need.

Best,
    Jody
  5. kchase77

kchase77 Member

Saw the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross...he lost 85 lbs, got rid of his auto-immune disease, and got fit on a 60-day juice fast. Then he went back to eating and keeps a healthy diet now. Google it and read up.

Bought my juicer and can't wait to start!

I have also read that wheatgrass is a Superfood and that Kamut is 1000 times better than wheatgrass.....since my juicer won't do greens or grass well I found organic barley grass juice powder and green kamut, both from Pure Planet, and am going to mix a teaspoon of it with water every day to get the greens I need.

Best,
    Jody
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Hi, I've been doing paleo, and it hasn't done a thing for my pain or fatigue. But, if you want to lose weight, it works like a dream!

Take care,
    kbak
  7. kbak

kbak Member

Hi, I've been doing paleo, and it hasn't done a thing for my pain or fatigue. But, if you want to lose weight, it works like a dream!

Take care,
    kbak
  8. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

than the Alaska natives eat. I've got a freezer full of salmon, moose, berries, etc. and it hasn't done jack duck for the pain, weight or anything but my glucose. I bought a Nutribullet and I throw all kinds of stuff into it for breakfast and soups. Staves off hunger for about an hour or so. I drank so much wheatgrass juice, I began to grow wool and bleat at my kids!

I am seriously wondering if there IS a diet that you can actually lose weight on! Can't do bariatric surgery because I'm a bleeder. Sigh...

Soft, fat hugs
    Stacey
  9. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

than the Alaska natives eat. I've got a freezer full of salmon, moose, berries, etc. and it hasn't done jack duck for the pain, weight or anything but my glucose. I bought a Nutribullet and I throw all kinds of stuff into it for breakfast and soups. Staves off hunger for about an hour or so. I drank so much wheatgrass juice, I began to grow wool and bleat at my kids!

I am seriously wondering if there IS a diet that you can actually lose weight on! Can't do bariatric surgery because I'm a bleeder. Sigh...

Soft, fat hugs
    Stacey
  10. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Have to stay away from the nuts though i have allergies. Im just afraid i might start being attracted to wearing animal skin prints and clubbing people around the head, and i usually save that for a particular "time of the month."

Ameile
  11. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

Have to stay away from the nuts though i have allergies. Im just afraid i might start being attracted to wearing animal skin prints and clubbing people around the head, and i usually save that for a particular "time of the month."

Ameile
  12. kchase77

kchase77 Member

So, Stacey, juicing did not help you at all? I am really looking forward to it and get my juicer tomorrow.

Too funny though, both you and Amelie's comments.
  13. kchase77

kchase77 Member

So, Stacey, juicing did not help you at all? I am really looking forward to it and get my juicer tomorrow.

Too funny though, both you and Amelie's comments.
  14. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

but am aware but not perfect by any stretch....

Sugar/carbs are nasty nasty for our bodies, all bodies....

I do my best and don't buy bread, don't bring it in the house and resist sugar stuff.....

My good friend has been doing coffee enemas for MANY yrs and she swears it will take away a lot of pain.....I have not done them but think of it a lot.....

There is old info here on coffee enemas and you might want to check out the info.

One friend on another board does these CE's for her RA pain and she uses saline bottles from the drug store, emptys them out and uses organic coffee for her enemas....they work for her with this system.
  15. jaminhealth

but am aware but not perfect by any stretch....

Sugar/carbs are nasty nasty for our bodies, all bodies....

I do my best and don't buy bread, don't bring it in the house and resist sugar stuff.....

My good friend has been doing coffee enemas for MANY yrs and she swears it will take away a lot of pain.....I have not done them but think of it a lot.....

There is old info here on coffee enemas and you might want to check out the info.

One friend on another board does these CE's for her RA pain and she uses saline bottles from the drug store, emptys them out and uses organic coffee for her enemas....they work for her with this system.
  16. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

..That would bring a whole to meaning to "Coffee morning with the girls." What would we do with the biscuits?

I don't know how I feel about that, whats the difference between drinking coffee, and..well that? Other than the obvious. Ive never heard of people doing it on themselves, or using it, for pain.

Ameile

17. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

..That would bring a whole to meaning to "Coffee morning with the girls." What would we do with the biscuits?

I don't know how I feel about that, whats the difference between drinking coffee, and..well that? Other than the obvious. Ive never heard of people doing it on themselves, or using it, for pain.

Ameile

18. jaminhealth

Gerson Clinic does this protocol for MOST of their patients....my friend went Gerson years ago for her general health issues....we've talked about it plenty here on these boards over the yrs....

They also send people home with a bottle of Armour thyroid, they are definitely the Old School healing clinic...but they heal.

Supposedly, the CE's work on the liver....
  19. jaminhealth

Gerson Clinic does this protocol for MOST of their patients....my friend went Gerson years ago for her general health issues....we've talked about it plenty here on these boards over the yrs....

They also send people home with a bottle of Armour thyroid, they are definitely the Old School healing clinic...but they heal.

Supposedly, the CE's work on the liver....
  20. kchase77

kchase77 Member

about taking Armour on my own without professional help...but after the hydrocortisone issue I had doing alone I have decided against it.

So will carry on without.....
  21. kchase77

kchase77 Member

about taking Armour on my own without professional help...but after the hydrocortisone issue I had doing alone I have decided against it.

So will carry on without.....
  22. mbofov

mbofov Member

I've heard it's supposed to be very good for you. Dr. Sarah Myhill of the UK recommends it for her CFS patients, maybe for FM too. Actually she recmmends it for everyone - here's what she says:
    http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Stone_Age_Diet_-_this_is_a_diet_which_we_all_should_follow

I don't really follow it (am not sure exactly all it entails), but I do avoid processed foods as much as possible, also avoid white flour, sugar, empty carbs, and most grains. I eat whole grains when I do, and lots of protein and vegies and a little fruit, and not much dairy.

Hoepfully someone else may have more info for you.

Mary
  23. sascha

sascha Member

has always made sense to me. it's how we evolved. i've been strictly on it for over two months now.

Dr. Myhill's recommendations include some grains (quinoa, rice cakes...) at least that's what i understood from quick read-through of her article. i'm doing stricter Paleo plan. lots of inf about it online with foods allowed, menu plans, recipes.

NO grains, sugars, or dairy. NO processed foods.

i have cfids and notice improvements in many symptoms from eating this way, like quicker recovery from PEM; better mental clarity; no gut problems (which i did have before at times); more sustained energy.

i'm not cured, but i'm functioning better.

i recommend best produce and meats you can find--grass-fed beef; organic meats in general. organic produce.

i'm including extra-virgin coconut oil. i cook with it and take TBsp or two daily. olive oil on salads.

another excellent source for diet inf is Dr. Terry Wahls. watch her video online at youtube.com about motochondria. she CURED herself from MS by following strict Paleo-type diet.

i'm satisfied on this diet. don't feel deprived. it takes planning ahead to make sure you're not caught short. good luck, sascha