Anyone tried this? Baking Soda bloating and ph balance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hope2001, Mar 30, 2006.

1. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

Brand Name(s): Baking Soda, Citrocarbonate
    Generic Name Sodium Bicarbonate Powder

What is sodium bicarbonate powder or effervescent powder?
    SODIUM BICARBONATE (Arm and Hammer Pure Baking Soda®, Citrocarbonate®) can neutralize or reduce acids in the stomach, blood, or urine. Sodium bicarbonate can relieve symptoms of indigestion and heartburn caused by too much acid in the stomach. Sodium bicarbonate can also be used to make urine less acid. Generic sodium bicarbonate powder is available.

What should my health care professional know before I take sodium bicarbonate?
    They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
    •Cushing's syndrome (secretion of too much cortisol)
    •dehydration
    •heart problems
    •high level of bicarbonate in plasma
    •hyperventilation
    •kidney disease
    •low blood levels of calcium or potassium
    •ulcers in the esophagus (tube leading from the throat to the stomach)
    •an unusual or allergic reaction to sodium bicarbonate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
    •pregnant or trying to get pregnant
    •breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine?
    Take sodium bicarbonate powder by mouth. Follow the directions on the label. Add the powder to a glass of water, stir well and drink. Take after meals. Do not take more than the recommended dose.

What if I miss a dose?
    If you are taking this powder regularly and miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your normal schedule. Unless prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional for regular use, this powder is taken on an "as needed" basis.

What drug(s) may interact with sodium bicarbonate?
    •aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
    •chlorpropamide
    •ciprofloxacin
    •dextroamphetamine
    •ephedrine
    •hormones such as prednisone or cortisone
    •ketoconazole
    •lithium
    •pseudoephedrine
    •quinidine
    •tetracycline antibiotics

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking sodium bicarbonate?
    Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
    •confusion
    •dizziness
    •muscle pain
    •seizures (convulsions)
    •swelling of the feet and legs
    •trembling
    •unusual weakness

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
    •bloating and stomach gas
    •increased thirst
    •stomach cramps

What should I watch for while taking sodium bicarbonate?
    Unless your prescriber or health care professional has prescribed sodium bicarbonate for you, only take it for occasional relief. Do not take sodium bicarbonate regularly for more than 2 weeks, or if symptoms keep coming back; check with your prescriber or health care professional about a suitable antacid for regular use.

Take sodium bicarbonate with caution if you are on a low-sodium diet as they contain a large amount of sodium.

Where can I keep my medicine?
    Keep out of the reach of children in a container that small children cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.

2. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I've been taking it daily lately due to my IC. But I can no longer handle the taste so I make my own capsules. YOu can buy empty ones.
  3. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

do you mean Irritable colon? Maybe that is what problem I have (among a million lol). What are your symptoms.
    HOw much do you take?
  4. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

5. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

b for lisaloo
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

for Lisaloo...
  7. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I take it for Interstitial Cystitis
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Without the asprin is baking soda. You can still get the non asprin sort. My dad to took nothing else for his acid stomach and lived to be late 70's.

There is also an effervenscent version (Bromoseltzer) of this in powder form I forget what it is called that is easier to take, and take it with warm water, it works better

LOve Anne C
  9. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

Why does the baking soda every day help interstitial cystitis? How much do you take?
    I would think you take it because it balances the ph levels?

maybe we should ask Stormye skye what she knows about this.