Anyone Tried Trazodone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I was at my pharmacist last night filling my meds.. Then found out that I had a script I didn't know about. Its called Trazodone. Well, forgot about it. Due to memory problems of course.. Was prescribed to me by a doctor I go to for emotional problems, depression..etc.

The pharmacist said that it is supposed to help with sleeping, that it is considered a anti-depressant. Also is prescribed to people with sleep disorders, problems.. along with pain. Has a pain ingredient in it. I am to take it at bedtime. I took one last night, within a short time, I was stumbling around. Its 50 mg. I went to bed, and couldn't sleep well because I took it on a empty stomach, and got nausea, heartburn..it tore my stomach up for sure.
    Wasn't a pleasant night to say the least. Ended up vomitting.

I am going to try it again tonight though, eat with it. I feel as if I am forcing myself to eat these days, havn't a appetite at all. Losing weight.

I want to know has anyone else tryed this med, and what results?

Sunshyne
  2. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Shoot, I did a search of messages, found some great stuff on the med. Sorry if I cross posted.. But still looking anyway for anyone elses experiences with it.

3. lucky

lucky New Member

I heard of similar experiences on this board that people could not tolerate Trazadone. However, I have been on Trazadone for many years, 100mg, and did not and have no problems with it and am happy that I get 7 and more hours of sleep uninterrupted.
    Your pharmacist gave you the right info about this med and if fortunate and you can tolerate it, it is supposed to be one of a few antidepressant which especially is helping with sleep problems.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  4. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I have been on it for over a year (ever since I was "officially" diagnosed with FMS). When I first took it
    my legs would literally come from under me. I learned
    to eat a few crackers and cheese or have a small piece of fruit 20-30 minutes before I take it so it doesn't just
    shoot straight into my system. It is classed as an anti-depressant but it works as a sleep inducer. I take it at night (same dosage as you) with a muscle relaxant, Soma.
    Recently I don't think I'm sleeping as long as I did when
    I first started this combination. When I started this
    regimen, I coudl barely wake up within 6 hours. Now
    I'm getting only 4-1/2 to 5 hours sleep. I have to get up
    early to go to work, but for the past few weeks I seem to
    be waking around 2AM.
  5. reva727

reva727 New Member

Trazodone is the generic for Desyrel. I took it a few years ago for awhile. I believe it said to take with food. It's actually an antidepresant. It helped me sleep better that anything I ever took. However, once you take it, go to bed because you won't be able to do anything else. It makes you very groggy. Give it another try with food in your stomach.
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thanks so much for the great info, you are all great folks here! I understand it more.

Going to try it again tonight. I think I jumped the gun and took it, without really checking into it about taking with food last night.
  7. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

Best Rx I have taken for sleep. I take 100mg, within 30 minutes I am sooooooooooooooo sleepy. It works great for me. I can sleep 6-8 hours per night, finally.
    HURTSALOT2
  8. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi,
    I had/sometimes still do have that reaction to Trazodone, but I take 50mg at bedtime to help with sleep. I recommend that you do the following.
    Always eat a light snack with it before you take it.
    Take it right as you are ready to hop into bed.
    Start with 25mg for about a week (cut it in half...it's scored), then go up to 50mg. You will be able to tolerate it better.
    The dose you are taking is for sleep, and for the pain/FM related stuff. You aren't taking a dose that would be strong enough to get the anti-depressant action.
    If you need the anti-depressant action, you will have to add something else. I take Lexipro 10mg in the am and do very well.
    Hope this helps.
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  9. epicurean

epicurean New Member

for sleep.I take 150mg. at bedtime-helps me sleep,but the Rx bottle says,(must take with food).As the others said try it and see if it makes a difference!!
  10. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I didn't try it last night, the trazodone. My stomach was still tore up pretty bad. Had a sleepless night again too, up until 4:30 this morning. Pain worse today, dealt with it OK.

Got it by my bedside now.. such great advice, so it will be close, then read a little before taking it, also eat definitely. I hope it works, I havn't slept good in so long.

Thanks all for the wonderful advice!
  11. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I'm allergic to it! It helps with depression & insomnia. dolsgirl
  12. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I cannot handle the side effects of it. It really didn't seem to help with sleeping. It took me so long to fall asleep, and I took the whole 50mg.

So, guess onto something else now.

13. jka

jka New Member

i've been taking it for awhile now.i take 250-300 mg at night for sleep.haven't had any trouble with my stomache.you might try an antacid with it too.
    good luck

kathy c