Anyone Tried Valerian for Sleep??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz41, Jul 9, 2003.

1. suz41

suz41 New Member

Good Morning out there:

I was wondering if any of you have tried Valerian to improve the quality of your sleep. I am currently on Klonopin for seizures and have checked for counterindications can't seem to find any. I am really trying to avoid the more traditonal meds, but want to be safe too. Please let me know your thoughts, according to my herbal medicine book it appears relatively safe. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Suz
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

30 - 40 drops in a bit of water before bed.

but, I still need the big guns to really sleep. I am reliant on a benzo, but am habituated so sometimes I need a little more help.

Valerianaheel is made by Heel and is avail through a Naturopath or some health food stores or pharmacies that carry Heel products.
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

but prefer Melatonin. Now, I just open the valerian capsules and sprinkle a little of the stinky contents on the carpet and my cats go wild! lol So, it hasn't gone to waste.

I have also tried two prescription sleeep aids: Sonata and Ambien. Sonata (didn't allow me much more than 3 hours sleep) and Ambien (ugh I hated this stuff....made me comatose and in the morning I felt like crap).
  4. rasyte

rasyte New Member

Hi,
    I got herbal supplement "Valerian Root". Before I go to bed and take 10mg elavil, I make tea and disperse valerian in it. It helps me to calm down after stressfull day.
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I tried both the caps and the tea. It just wasn't nearly strong enough for me, and the tea smelled so bad, I had to throw it out.
    Hope it helps you.
    Klutzo
  6. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Valerian caused me to have generalized and intense itching..for several days..If you are not allergic, may be helpful..
  7. suz41

suz41 New Member

Thanks everyone for the info, sounds like its different for everyone as this DD is. I think I might give it a go small amount at first don't want to have a interaction with my sezures or seizure meds. Hope I don't itch either. Thanks again. Will keep you posted on how it improves my sleep.

Suz
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

to help him sleep, so i have inherited organic homegrown and dried valerian root.

and yes, my cat loves the stinky stuff too.

But, the valerianaheel still has my vote.