Anyone try ACAI berries? MonaVie?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sorekitty, Jun 27, 2007.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

My friend has gone through serious health issues but is nearly fully recovered (hepatitis). She still has lack of energy and needs to nap each day.

She is starting to try this drink called MonaVie which has acai berries. She gave me a bottle but one bottle won't really tell me if it will work. The bottles are like $30 each and I think they last for 2 or 3 weeks.

Before I commit to this. I need your opinions. Has anyone tried this or heard good things?

2. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

I was approached by my pharmacist about trying this. He sells it as a side-business and he says he has had a lot of people who have had great results from it. I am also curious to see if anyone has had luck with it before I give it a try, especially given how expensive it is. But, hey, if it works it is worth the cost especially if I could give up some of my prescriptions!

3. katsmi

katsmi New Member

Hi Tia!

I take 2 acai caps per day. I've been taking them for about 6 weeks. They seem to help w/my energy level a little. But I also take magnesium, COQ10, Vits E & D, fish oil, MSM & some others that I can't think of right now.

My pain level is high as of late (weather related, I believe), so they do not seem to help me w/pain.

The acai berries are claimed to help a myriad of problems. They also claim the berries help the immune system....that is what I am counting on!

I would say to give it a try. Each person is different... I have heard good reports about this product.

Praying that it will help!
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

I was wondering about this product too.

5. tdburn

tdburn New Member

My neighbor gave me a bottle of Monavie last year to try. I did it daily for a month and couldn't see any difference. It is sweet but I didn't believe it was worth continued use at $30.00 a bottle. There are probably cheaper ways to get acai berries.
  6. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I will be seeing my naturopath this coming Saturday and plan to ask her about the drink and the capsules.

It is frustrating to know what to throw your $ at especially since I have to pay for a lot of private therapy for my ds. I have to be careful just like we all do!

Thanks and if anyone else has experience I'd still appreciate it:)
  7. It's hard to get in the UK, other than in innocent smoothies, which is about 5%. Tried some at a brazilian cafe in Edinburgh- great stuff!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2007]
  8. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hey all,
    Just want to update you. I asked about the acai berries and she said they are just another anti-oxidant. Good but the Mona Vie is a bit of a fad and way too expensive. Like a gimmick. She said it's like going to the store to buy bananas and paying an outrages price! I asked about the capsules and she just shrugged her shoulders like she didn't think it would do too much. There are other ways we can get our anti-oxidants (not that there's anything WRONG with that! LOL).

take care
  9. You can always just buy acai berries! Pomegranate juice is good too.
  10. grace54

grace54 New Member

about Acai being just another anti-oxidant as good as any. The science behind it has shown there is no food tested to date that compares with it. Combine that with 18 other high nutrient fruits it contains and you can't do much better short of eating a bushel of fruit a day.It is un-paralelled in anti-oxidant effect to reduce inflamation and nutrient quality to strengthen our immune system.

This product is in part responsible for my recovery. If one wants to see the science behind it Google Dr. Schauss as it is very impressive. I took about 2.5 months for me to see a difference but I now have unbelievable energy and lost weight and gained muscle mass.
  11. waltz

waltz New Member

Yes but not Monavie. I am trying One Acai. You can order it from One Acai is as far as I can tell close to 100% Acai berry juice as well as the least expensive brand. It also has some acerola in it.

Monavie and most other brands are only part Acai berry and have lots of cheaper filler juice in it.

The One Acai costs me about $1.70 per 11-ounce juice box.

I've also read that Acai powder isn't as effective because Acai berry degrades rapidly after harvest and exposure to air.

Supposedly Acai has a higher concentration of the type of antioxidants found in those dark purple/reddish/bluish fruits. Also, it actually has a high oil content, supposedly of a similar profile as olive oil, which is supposedly what humans need. It actually has a greenish-yellow oil film in my cup.[This Message was Edited on 05/25/2008]
  12. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I was "given" a bottle of mona vie by a distributor who assured me it was so wonderful it would make me feel so much better and lessen my pain and give me all this energy... then I was given the "hard sell" and I ended up ordering some and was that enough??? Nooooo, I then needed to make it an "automatic order" so she would get credit, THEN had me convinced I could sell it (under her) and make enough to get my mona vie for free !!! WOAH !!! I'm on disability... I have ME/CFS, CFIDS, FMS, OA, Osteoporosis, DDD, Joint Inflammatory Disease, autoimmune disease and a bunch of related stuff... you all know the drill !!! So, how was I to go selling anything... first of all, I wasn't able; secondly, if I were, would I be risking my Health Insurance and Disability Benefits for a few bottles of fruit juice? NOOOO !!! I spent $180 a month for probably 8 mos or so, and I realized I just liked the taste and it was a "treat," packaged in a bottle that looks like a beautiful wine bottle. My "fantasy treat" pretending I was having a little 2 oz glass of wine a day was NOT making me feel any better physically at all !!! I was hurting just as much, was in bed just as much, and a big chunk of my money was going to "SAVE THE RAINFORESTS" in a specific area ??? That did it ! I had been duped and I knew it. It is a Money-Making scheme !!! Steer clear, folks !!! They are in a law-suit right now, unless they have settled since I got the latest update. I am curious if we have a "mona vie distributor" on here with us today... do we ??? hmmmmmm ?????

Take "LYRICA" and thank the Lord we finally have a treatment for our FMS... and friends, I am grateful. My Rhemy started me on 50 mg and I'm now up to 300 mg. Every 4 weeks he checks me and increases it, and will eventually get me to 600 mg a day, which is the MAXIMUM dosage. And I will probably need to go that high, as I am now in the advanced stages of FMS after suffering for over 20 years, and I'm AT LAST getting some relief. Thank you, Jesus !

Better health to all. In Christ,
    ~ Lady
  13. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Wow, Polar Bear ! I can't believe your pharmacist would risk his license by soliciting this product to his customers as something to heal the body... and give testimonies of what good results others have obtained from drinking these fruit juices. They don't even tell you how much of the acai berry is in the juice. Read my previous post of how I endured the "hard sell" and spent way over $1,000 and got no health benefits from it. I ended up having to call the company because I was becoming ill from the stress from this woman and what she was doing. I can't say it on here, but it was wrong, wrong, wrong !!!

Please don't buy into their money-making scheme.

Love, In Jesus
    ~ Lady[This Message was Edited on 05/26/2008]
  14. Tawra

Tawra New Member

It helped my mom so much she decided to sell it so she could get it for $20 a bottle. She doesn't "sell" it but just buys enough to cover her sales quote and then I buy it and my uncle buys some from her.

It helped with my FM pain and it has helped with mom's energy a ton.

I think it's like everything else. it works for some and not for others.

15. masterz

masterz New Member

I tried MonaVie for a while. I got it from a friend who is a distributor. She has a friend that claims it's a miracle. Well, I put so much hope in it & was so dissapointed. I paid $45 a bottle! I have put so much money in so called cures that I should have been smarter about this. I do realize we are all unique & some things help some & not others. I am happy that Lyrica is helping alot of fibro sufferers. As for me, it didn't help at all. I had almost every side effect noted. It was a horrible experience. I am still waiting for my miracle. But, for those of you getting relief from Lyrica or acai---I am happy for you & wish you the best!!!!
  16. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi, Sorekitty -

We feel crummy and want HELP, I know! But I think what we often tend to forget is how different our bodies all are. What works for me may not work for you, and visa versa.

We must do our own research - including reading about regimens that helped people here - listen to our body, consider what types of things have helped us before and what has not. This is a key to what may help in the future. For instance, SSRIs do nothing but bring me grief but I know they are crucial to some people's functioning.

Some things may help some, some things may help a lot and some things may not help at all. This is not to say they might not be helpful for others. Let us be careful to remember this and not discourage others from trying what didn't work for us.

Hugs all around,
  17. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

I really can't stand solicitors and today I was bothered at physical therapy about this product. I go to therapy to get relief but the whole time I was getting the infrared and ultra sound massage I had to listen the therapist talk wonders about this product. I don't like unwanted advise when someone doesn't know the whole story. When she said there was 19 fruits in the drink, I tried to tell her I have many food allergies which include several fruits, but she didn't listen and kept going on about how great it is. I looked up the ingredients expecting to be allergic to at least four things but there were only two. Not that it matters because no allergic reaction is fun. I also took offense to the fact she told me how much weight she lost using the product, while she was working on me with my shirt off. I got bit by a tick a year ago and since then have gained 75. Since starting Lyme treatment I've started losing weight, but I'm very self consious about it. Anyways i didn't like the whole speech and I don't have money for an expensive product when I'm so far behind on medical bills.
  18. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

for two reasons: first, it is sold through a MLM (multi-level marketing organizations. (MLM's are almost always on the edge of being fraudulent, if not outright "cons". Secondly, the organizational head officers have received a warning letter from the FDA warning them to stop making statements about MonaVie being a panacea and curative, etc. (I believe I found a copy of this letter by 'Googling' MonaVie and MLM.)

Fortunately, it is a product that doesn't seem to be injurious, unless a person is allergic to one of the ingredients. Still, as it is very expensive, for what it is--it may prevent sufferers from having enough funds to get medications which will actually reduce pain and help otherwise.

Also, there are other fruits and vegetables which are far richer in antioxidant power. (I found a website by the US Agriculture department which provided information giving specific antioxidant strength in each food. Sadly, I didn't bookmark it and I can't recall the exact address. If I find it again, I'll post it here.)

By the way, Vitamin C and the bioflavanoids found in most citrus foods are very reasonable and offer powerful antioxidation.

In the 24 years I've dealt with this DD...I've tried many different remedies, so I can surely understand trying almost anything that's non-injurious and if it is not clearly simply a fraudulent money-making scheme. I'm not judging anyone for trying whatever seems appropriate to them.

Best of luck to you and take really good care of yourself.

19. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

My husband found dried acai berries at the chinese market in our town. They're an awful lot cheaper. A couple of dollars for a 4 oz bag.

He eats them as they are but I know you can hydrate them back to their original form. I know they're supposed to be good for the immune system. My husband has severe arthritis in his knees so he really doesn't notice any benefit painwise but he does feel better that he's doing something for his health.