Anyone Try Acupuncture ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Nov 24, 2006.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Just curious if anyone has tried acupuncture for thier various ailments? I'm just considering it as a last resort, and would like some feedback. Thank you, Laura.
  2. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I have CFS and I just saw an acupuncturist, and I can honestly say that I got worse. Before seeing the acupuncturist I only got lightheaded while standing. During treatment I developed lightheadedness while sitting. Whether it is certain that this is cause and effect, I can't say. But I bet if I had gotten better, the conclusion would be that acupuncture helped. I also found her to be pretty thoughtless. For example, she would tell me activities to do without finding out where my energy was. The first time I gave her the benefit of the doubt, which was a big mistake. I quit after 5 sessions, and she admitted that she had no idea what do to with my case.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Maybe find an acupuncturist who is better and can undo what she did. But I will say that just like Western medicine, there are good practitioners and bad ones. And just like Western medicine, Eastern medicine can do harm. So if you do try it, see if you can get a recommendation from someone you trust.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2006]
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

There's another post floating around right now called "Chinese Medicine" that you might want to read.
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

I got better results from the chiropractor. I didn't have any pain, just everything else bad. Every time I went to the chiro, I got good results. The acupuncturist, about 1 out of 3. But at the time, I wasn't eating all well as now. Now I'm doing reiki and acupressure and they're working incredibly well.

I think that supplements and energy work (like chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, reiki, etc.) have a much better chance of working if you aren't drinking, smoking or eating badly. They will really work with your body if you aren't overwhelming it with a bunch of junk. karen
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Acupuncture is one of the things that has helped me a lot. It helps me with pain, fatigue and anxiety. I do have to have the treaments on an ongoing basis for maximum benefit.
    Obviously, choosing a practitioner is key. There are many out there but do your homework.

Kathy
  6. ume

ume New Member

Laura,

I wanted to try acupuncture for at least a year before I finally took the plunge. What held me back was the commute -- too far and two trains with stairs to walk up in the stations.

But I got desperate and thought if I didn't find something to help me a bit more, I'd go bonkers.

The key, as people have said, is finding the right person. After all the crap I took (as we all seem to) from western doctors (laughing at me, telling me to just 'go home' -- I live abroad and have for 20 years so home is not home anymore, doc, telling me I needed a shrink) -- after all that, my acupuncturist and every one of his assistants are a dream. They are thoughtful, they touch me gently and speak to me with concern and grace. Each session is an oasis in a rude world, for me.

And -- the treatment has helped, but slowly. You need to keep that firmly in mind. No miracle cure, and not anything quickly. He has helped, over 6 months, most with my sleep (a godsend) and my IBS. The energy, which I had hoped against hope he could help me with, has been slower. I have felt a very gradual 'lift'. I can very clearly measure how much I have improved by things like how easily, or not, I can walk up a flight of stairs. I live near Tokyo and any trip into the city is a LOT of stairs. I used to have to walk the entire platform looking for an escalator or an elevator, and now often do not need to. This is night and day, compared to a year ago.

He has been the most helpful thing I have tried besides NADH. I have CFIDS, though, and do not know how helpful he might be for someone with FM. Also, he told me when I first contacted him, that he had treated several people with CFS, so that may be why he has been effective -- he knows all our issues.

I wish you lots of luck.

Ume
  7. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Thank you all for the info on your personnal experiences. I think I will give it a shot since not much else has helped. Take care, Laura
  8. hungermark

hungermark New Member

Acupuncture made me well over the course of three years. And yes, I felt worse before I felt better. I had an overall immediate sense that acupuncture was the right route, and I think having that conviction made the whole process easier - not that it wasn't unbearable at times.

CFS and Fibro are both energetic disorders, and while certain meds and supplements help (as well as changing how you eat), it seemed that my willingness to deal with them both on an energetic level was what turned the bus around.

My acupuncturist trained me to needle myself on a daily basis. It's a radical thing but I have been self needling ever since, with nothing but good results.

I was sick when I was 28 and well by the time I was about 32. I am 37 now, and symptom free.

All my blessings are with you. Being sick was the hardest thing I have ever experienced.
  9. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Hi,

I have CFIDS/M.E., FM/MPS complex, Lyme, chronic, incessant head pain, GI problems, etc. and have found acupuncture extremely helpful, but as others have said, it's very important to find an acupuncturist who KNOWS about FM and/or CFIDS/M.E. and who is willing to work WITH you.

Some insurance companies pay especially if you see an M.D. acupuncturist...

We're all different, but it's worth a try with someone knowledgeable.

All the best,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  10. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Laura,
    I've been going to an acupuncturist since about March. I'm happy to say that my body is responding really well.

Already, I can read for longer periods, and remember what I read (I was limiited to 15 minutes and then, my eyes would get too tired, and close. I had to reaad sentences over and over befoe I comprehended them). My fibro pain is gone and my cholesterol is down (20 points).

What Acupuncture does, on the long term, is begin to right the body so that what we do to heal, is accepted by it. It also has direct benefits.

Please be sure that the acupuncturist you choose is a real expert, and by that I mean, he/she understands the thought process that is behind it. It's more than just putting needles in meridian points. It takes intuition and a certain level of spirituality, also . Try to get someone who has more than just one certificate.

My acupuncturist also gives me herbs when I request them. These target specific conditions.

So far, the best result I've had is that I can read again. My world has been opened up for me. Also, it's really good to be without Fibro pain!G
    Good luck. I hope this will be a good experience for you. Actually, if I didn't still need a regular MD for some things,I would change over to Chinese Medicine totally. There must be some reason why they live so long.

Terry
  11. twerp

twerp New Member

I wouldn't discourage you from trying it. Who knows, it may work for you.

As for me, I had about a dozen sessions administered by a naturopath and noticed no change whatsoever, good or bad.

Hugs,
    Twerp