Anyone Try Adderall (Stimulants) for FMS?......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kellyslaw, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Has anyone tried Adderall to help with fatigue? I did a search but all of the posts were over 2 years old. My doc just perscribed me some. I had to pay for it out of pocket because my insurance will not cover it for anyone over 17 years old. I do not have ADHD. I am looking for an alternative to help me cope with the fatigue so that I can manage when I return to work. Any comments, suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Kelly
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2007]
  2. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

I had no responses, so I bumped this myself. I took one this morning and slept for another 4 hours. I do feel more awake so far.

Thanks,
    Kelly
  3. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I am not on Adderall, but I am on Ritalin for fatigue.

I think it works great. My rheumy wanted to put me on Provigil which is a narcolepsy drug, but you need a sleep study in order to get an Rx for it.

Personally Im not paying anthing for the Ritalin and I really dont want to get a sleep study to get on a drug that will probably do the same thing as Ritalin but maybe add some side effects from what Ive seen.

I know Adderall is stronger than Ritalin, possibly you could check to see if Ritalin is covered?

Hope this helps.
    Steph
  4. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it. I don't know if the HMO will cover Ritalin for me or not. I have read that there are more "peaks and valley's with Ritalin. Have you experienced any.

Again, thank you,
    Kelly
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I dont have much of a choice when it comes to chosing Ritalin on Addelral. My rheumy feels that Addreall is too much like speed.

Im happy taking the Ritalin 2x a day. It gives me a jump.

He had originally given me Concerta which is extended release Ritalin...but it didnt do anything.

I have a feeling that they may cover the Ritalin,

Hugs,
    Steph
  6. BelleoftheSouth

BelleoftheSouth New Member

Does it work?

I am now taking Vitamin B's to get some energy, and I have also been told that 'CoQ10'(a vitamin, I think) helps with CFS.

Maybe I will ask my Rhumey about the Ritalin.

ALSO, does it help with memory?

Be Well All!

Belle~
  7. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I took provigil for about a year. I did not have to have a sleep study. I really did'nt like it. I had been on Ritalin before. I went off of provigil and did without anything for awhile.

I now have a new Dr. and am back on Ritalin. It works great for me. I would hate to be without it.

I also have Adult ADD so it really helps me for many problems. The only funny thing was when I first went back on it the pharm. got a message from the insurance co. saying they would not cover it because "she is too old" I was not a happy person. They did agree to cover it.

Suzanne

P.S. My daughter who is 20 also has ADD and did a trial of adderal and really did not like it. I will ask her why when she sgets home.
  8. esto1024

esto1024 Guest

i tried adderall about a year ago and with the vicodin i was taking i was way too jittery and anxious. i recently tried it again, and it has helped tremendoulsy. if you are unable to work, it probably wont let you work. but it does help, and when we can get some we take it lol. i started with 5 mg in morning for a week, then 5 mg in morning and noon for 3 weeks..have to build up very slow,,,i m very sensitive to meds. if i got jittery i was told to try it for 2 more days, if it didnt stop, cut back and try a half,,,,basically go at your own speed,,i m trying to get to 20 mg a day. its helped with energy and concentration. i have cfs/fibro, not add, but it helps. but when i do an increase,,it is a head rush for the first day. just take it slow if you decide to. at 20 mg,,,its a low dose and lots of headroom if it loses effectiveness. plus its an older drug and time tested. i dont trust new drugs and neither does my cfids doc. i didnt like ritalin and provigil did nothing. they just had a big research on it and it was as effective as 2 cups of coffee. plus,,for me i get no "high", i dont feel like im on a drug,,it s been a really good thing, besides clonopin, no drugs have helped with this illness. i also started piroxicam 20 mg once a day for pain and is doing wonders,,pretty much pain free. so no more vicodin and ibuprofen,,i get to save my liver woohoo....hope this helps,,,sorry its kind of muddled, im on my way out. def give it a try. Ernest
  9. Kellyslaw

Kellyslaw New Member

everyone for your replies. I took my first dose today, I did feel more awake, but I really did not notice any other effects. Maybe I will get lucky with this med, or maybe I have ADHD? LOL. Now I just need to get my insurance to pay for it.

Thanks again everyone,

Kelly
  10. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

I was prescribed a 5mg dosage--do you think that is too low?
  11. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Which one are you starting on?

I know that 5 mgs of Ritalin was too little for me...but then again everyone is different. I take 10 mg twice a day...the instant release.

I never had the Adderall before tho.

Steph
  12. TallMOM

TallMOM New Member

I all so found Adderall cost to high. I now get Amphetamine Salt Tab. the cost is less. I loved the weight loss but that did level off.
    I hope it will help you!
  13. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

It is 5mg and not helping with fatigue. Just wondering if I should increase the dosage to not feel fatigued or just chalk it up to another med not being able to help me.

Kelli
  14. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I would ask your doctor about raising your dose on the Adderal. I know 5 mgs on Ritalin is a low dose and did noting on me.

If your doc is willing to up your dose, you can always try that and see if it works on you then and if not try something else.

Steph
  15. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Is enjoy it while you can. Speaking from experience if your body is tired and you keep giving it stimulants for long periods eventually it takes a toll on you and your adrenals. Its like you are speeding up a body that is exhausted.

I use to keep some on hand just for special days that I had to do a lot during a long day.

But with the exception of a few someday it catches up with you if you take it on a daily basis....JMO
  16. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi kelly and all others, i have been wondering about this medication, but now am confused from this post.

First, i thought adderall WAS specifically for adults, so why would insur. say only under 17? i must have it mixed up, i was wanting to try it for ADD that i NEVER had til i developed this DD, then severe ADD and concentration issues.

Second--why would this (and ritalin, although i know ritalin is a stimulant) help fatigue, unless the fatigue is from the mind "RACING OFF IN SO MANY DIFF. DIRECTIONS @ ONCE"

someone just posted recently about "imagery", and we were discussing not being able to do that due to the fibro add/concent. issues, i thought this med would be great to help w/that.

hopefully, kelly, your insur. co just made a mistake and you can talk to a supervisor or something (i had to do that w/ MEDCO) since i really think adderall is an adult med, even advertised on tv as such (and if it says so on TV--it HAS to be true, lol!!)

good luck, hope it helps and please post if you get to try it out. maybe if you try samples and it works for you, doc. can speak directly to insur. and they will make an exception.
    take care--L
  17. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

And I didn't have to do a sleep study to get it. My insurance covers it, I am really lucky. I would recommend it to anyone I think it works great. If anyone has any ??s about it please ask me!
    Wyattsmom
  18. wyattsmom

wyattsmom New Member

I work in schools and children are put on Adderall.
  19. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I haven't taken adderall or ritalin. The only amphetamine I've ever tried was for weight loss. I had the side effect of it making me very moody and belligerant and made my depression worse.

I'm glad it does work for so many of you. I also have a friend who has fibro and she took

I do take Provigil, 200 mg. a day. I have had no side effects and have been taking it a month. I feel like it has given me back my life. I still have awful pain, but I'll take that over having pain and being exhausted all the time. It allows me to function much more normally and enjoy more things.

I have had a sleep study, but the doctor didn't say it was a pre-requisite. My insurance pays for it, except for a $40 copay.

I was afraid I was going to have to quit work.
  20. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I personally dont take my ritalin everyday. I only take it on days where I cannot get out of bed because I feel as though I have not gotten any sleep for the night and i am physically drained.

A months supply lasts about 3 or 4 months for me so Im really not concerend about the side effects.

Thanks for the heads up tho.

Steph