Anyone try botox injections for muscle spasms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mjj3, Jan 23, 2011.

1. mjj3

mjj3 New Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried botox injections for muscle spasms and chronic headaches and if they had good results. Went to doctor on friday and she said botox had just been approved for use on migraine headaches. She is going to see if my insurance would cover it for my headaches chronic due do muscles spasms and also try injections into muscles in shoulder upper back area which are constantly tight and spasm causing lots of pain. She felt that since i've had good results with trigger point injections this may prove some pain relief for me.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

My DH had botox injections years ago that stopped his facial muscles spasming on one side. It worked well for that, he had to go about every 3 months. I've read a lot about it helping migraines/muscle spasms associated with it. I hope it helps you!

best, Victoria
  3. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I've had Botox injections in the back of my neck and face about every four months for a couple of years now for severe chronic migraine. They seem to help the severity of the headaches. I have Medi/Medi insurance and they have not had a problem approving the treatment. I do go to a physiatrist/pain doctor so apparently he knows how to write the prescription so that they will cover it. The treatment may be worth a try for you. Hope they help if you try them.
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I don't have migraines (anymore), but I have also been wondering if botox can be used to relieve chronic shoulder/upper-back muscle clenching. The stress I feel in that area is SO intense, and so unrelieved by ANYTHING. I do yoga, stretching exercises and try to get in deep-breathing aerobics several times a week....PLUS I use my own "tennis-ball therapy" (put tennis ball in toe of long sock, hold it from other end and lean into it against a wall). All these things help but only give very slight momentary relief. Throughout the night I'll try to stretch or squeeze this area to "pop" out a little tension. I've had two hour massage sessions that do NOTHING; the moment I'm off the table, it's over.

But like I said any relief is only momentary. So I was wondering if Botox is ever used to relax these muscles. I'd just like to know what it FEELS like to disable this giant claw that has a clamp on my upper back ALL THE TIME.

5. ellikers

ellikers New Member

sleepyinlalaland, have you seen a physical therapist? Or a licensed massage therapist who has experience working with people with chronic pain? That sounds like a muscle situation that could be GREATLY helped by either (or both) of those types of practitioners- especially because such muscle pain and tightness can be caused or made worse by body mechanics, and retraining once things are loosen can help improve pain symptoms a great deal.
  6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

your suggestion Ellikers. Yes, I've felt that some sort of physical therapy could be helpful, though I think I would need it on an on-going basis. However barring a complete reversal of fortune, I know I could not afford it. I could not afford the Botox either but was more theoretically interested if it had been used for should/back tension.

I also don't consider that I am really in PAIN. I know I described the tightness as INTENSE, but the truth is it's not a pain that would keep me from doing anything. It is just a constant discomfort and (assuming I could pay for it)....I'd love to experience a LACK of muscle tension for a few months if botox could do that. Oh well, just day-dreaming, things could be far worse!
  7. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I understand the financial expense of such treatment, I'm lucky that I get health care coverage through work.

The issue with tension and discomfort is that it can mean that your body is using inappropriate muscles and it could become worse over time. A lot of my issues are trigger points (which it sounds like you have) that cause certain muscles to overcompensate for the ones that aren't literally "pulling their own weight" because they are locked up and all tense.

Since practitioners may be too expensive, you can try other "at home" suggestions for myofascial release and trigger point therapy ... have you read the fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain a survival manual? I highly recommend it!

There are lots of things at home that can help ... heat and ice, anti-inflammatories, stretching very regularly, nutrition such as increasing magnesium, etc. ... the book I recommended talks about those and many more!

article on those here:

The tennis ball when used correctly should provide more than momentary relief .... I use it for my hips and back and if you use it for a couple of days (although with anti-inflammatories if the it's pretty flared up) it should release some ...
  8. scotlandrose

scotlandrose Member

I do not have many fibro symptoms, just one knot in my left shoulder. I named it Freddy Kruger, name says it all. Once it started, the pain NEVER went away. After a year or so, I was seeking anything to make it go away. I wanted my doc to find a surgon who would cut the damn muscle, anything. The doc sent me to a Neurologist who had actually been doing botox for Fibro for a few years. First treatment killed him instantly! Had to go back 3 months later, then 6 months, and now, once a year. Poor Freddy is very weak now. It costs about 900.00, and the doc has to give me lots of little shots. As he explained it, muscles are all connected and work together. Feels very weird, but does not hurt. I have learned to live with alot of CFS symptoms, but that pain was too much. Would not ever give it up!
  9. sarahjones

sarahjones Member

I haven’t tried botox for muscle spasms, but heard they are effective. I have used botox for migraine treatment as well as botox cosmetic treatment from The Centre for Dermatology in Toronto. Both treatments were very effective. I think the expertise of the doctor who does the injections is very important in the effectiveness of them. I have heard negative responses from some of my friends, though I never had such issues. I suggest to make sure of your doctors experience.
  10. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

I don't deal with headaches, but I lie on an acupressure mat to help with muscle spasms. It's called the Heavenly Mat.
  11. A Hen

A Hen Member

Hi all. I know this post is old but I am hoping I could get some feedback. Have had 'fibro' for over 16 years but I feel that it is myofascial pain syndrome/trigger points/contractured muscles that are more the issue. My upper body is riddled with them. I had Botox injected only into my right trap muscle a few days ago. It was 8 sites of 4 units each totalling 32 units. Is that enough of a dose? How long does it take to work? My levator scapulae and SCM tightened up and trigger points activated but that could be standard behaviour/coincidence. Or it could be a reaction by the other muscles having to compensate...not sure.
    Is injecting just the worse knotted muscle (trap) sufficient or does there have to be a particular pattern to follow?
    I have read the book, and use tennis balls, knobblers etc, and get myofascial release/trigger point therapy massage twice a week. I had to stop working in June 2014 because it got so bad. Really hoping Botox is the answer but would love some feedback.
    Thanks so much.