Anyone Try CBT for sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by place, Aug 10, 2011.

1. place

place New Member

Went to my sleep doc. asked if anything is new since I last saw him in 2008 and he said CBT. I guess this is a massive program that works strictly for people with sleep issue.

It is a 6 week program of one on one two hour session. It called NBS, It in started my home town and now they are working with NASA!

Just currious to see if anyone had tried it?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Usually refers to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which is used for other issues than sleep. This CBT may refer to something else. I can see where the traditional CBT would help with sleep by helping one to put a stop to the constant negative thoughts which often plague us when we get in bed. I don't know what NBS stands for.

Love, Mikie
  3. luigi21

luigi21 Member

I have received CBT, would have been more helpful if my neighbours were not noisy. What it does is try's to get a routine in place with regards to sleep, also to stop the boom and bust cycle people with chronic pain tend to use, ie on a good day we do more then pay for it later. Its to kind of even things out. I did notice that i tend to do this, some things I found out did surprise me. often other outside issues come up too. But since a big problem lies with where i'm living with regards to getting a routine in place they had to discharge me until i can get moved. Also sometimes with chronic pain your not sleeping simply because your in Pain! Anyway, I say as always give these things a go, otherwise like i have heard from others they will sometimes put 'non compliant' on your records and then its difficult to access further help. I'm in england by the way, just thought thats important in case we do things differently.

all the best
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2011]
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

CBT is not even remotely new, and neither is its use for insomnia.......the specific NBS program you mentioned may be, but the principals it is based on are not.

Much of it has to do with what luigi described re routines and pushing/crashing etc, but it is also a lot about finding ways to relax and deal with stress and anxiety.

All are very valid if your sleep issues have to do with any of the things that cause many people to have insomnia; however, if your sleep problems are stemming from neurological issues, problems with converting serotonin to melatonin, and/or other biological causes of circadian rhythm disruptions that are common among people with ME/CFS, then it likely won't do much to help.