Anyone try Space Bags?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by monica33flowers, Oct 17, 2008.

1. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I was thinking of maybe purchasing some of these but I've read some reviews and it seems that about 50% of the people said they weren't worth the money and didn't work.

Anyone here try them and what was your experience?
  2. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

One of my daughters' was moving a few years ago. She has a Mazda Protege sedan. Not very big. However, she was able to fit approx. 12 space bags,plus a small t.v. into her car. She and her boyfriend were in the front seats. So I'm talking about only the back of her car and trunk. I figure stored in say large garbage bags, her clothes would have easily used thirty. So yes I would recommend them. Jeanne
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have used them for years. I have found that some of them keep the vacuum seal and some don't. For the most part, I do like them as they keep dust off of the articles being stored. What happened to me was that I put a lot in one of them, sucked the air out of it until it was flat and stowed it under my bed. The seal didn't hold and everything expanded, trapping the bag and contents under the bed, making it extremely difficult to retrieve.

BTW, I tried the "green bags" with mixed success too. Those are the ones which are supposed to keep fruit and veggies from spoiling.

Love, Mikie
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Like really ugly aliens?

5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Yes, Rock, those are the rally ugly aliens! You are so funny!

My daughter (stop me if this sounds familiar!) moved to college in her Honda Civic. She is a clothes horse BIG TIME! She got a huge amount of clothes in the bags and into the trunk. She had a friend come down from Alaska and he rode from our place in Washingto to school in south west Oregon. She made him leave his suitcase at our house and put all his stuff in one, count 'em, one Space Bag.

Everything went into the trunk but they tore one of the bags looking for something part way there and her friend has his bag of clothes on his lap the rest of the way!

She also burned up my vac closing them!

So that's kind of a mixed review, guess you could say a mixed "bag"!

6. budmickl

budmickl New Member

With everyone here... When they work, they are wonderful. But somethings the seals aren't air tight after sucking the air out. It is hard on vacuums.... but if you have a wet/dry vac, they are more hardy.

One suggestion, make sure you tag what is inside. It's hard to tell which is the king down comforter or the queen size. Is that the king pillows or the decorator pillow forms for shams? I learned the hard way!

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that the cat or the dog in that bag?

Sorry for the sick humor. I really am an animal lover.

Love, Mikie
  8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Love your 'sick humor'! Actually after a few weeks, I couldn't tell if it was my sister or estranged daughter in the bag... That's why labeling is a good idea!

Oh wait, the bags aren't that big... must have been some of my stuffed animals!

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the paper towel idea. I have the Glad bags and little sucker outer gizmo. They are great for freezing. I hadn't thought of using them for produce.

I should probably just get rid of some of my things instead of storing them in sucky bags, but it's such a job. I am constantly giving things away but never seem to really whittle it down much.

Love, Mikie
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I have been using the paper towel/ziplock bag method for my produce for years. Works like a charm, especially for lettuce and salad mixes.

I recently ordered a new bedset from Smartbargains. It is beautiful, but the comforter is so oversized, I honestly don't know where I will store it come spring. I think I will have to invest in another space bag. I have had 'crapshoot' luck with them, but can't figure out any other way to store this thing. Oh well, since Linens 'n Things is closing for good, maybe I can catch a sale on the spacebags!

11. Olderbutwiser

Olderbutwiser New Member

I use them and am quite pleased with them. I store all my quilts, pillows and blankets in them and the space it saves is unbelievable. There are two kinds and I have both. One you use the vacuum to help seal them. The other you just pack and lay on them until you get them as flat as possible before sealing. I have found a few of the black caps loose once in awhile, but there is still a seal on them so they remain closed.

Some I ordered from QVC (what would we do without that program when we are sick in bed and feeling sorry for ourselves?) and the others were purchased from Walmart. I really don't notice any big difference.