anyone try Valtrex or other antiviral med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elaine_p, Jun 7, 2003.

1. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

My doc has me trying Valtrex (valacyclovir) right now. Been on it for about 6 weeks and I haven't noticed any improvement, but I'm supposed to take it for another 4-1/2 months so there's hope.

Has anyone else tried this or know anything about it?
  2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I was on the valtrex for one month. I then read a post about tagamet being just as effective as valtrex. Much cheaper too. I was already taking tagamet for acid reflux so I have just uped my dose to benefit as an anti-viral. check out the post by using the search. very interesting read! I have not had a herpes breakout since uping my dose either!!!!
    Judy
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Thanks for the tip Judy. I printed it out, now just have to read it.

Actually, the doc is giving me samples of Valtrex right now--good thing, since it would otherwise cost me $300 a month and I don't have insurance!

Actually, I'm not exactly sure why he has me taking it. He said "the test" was expensive (whichever one that is), so we'd just try the meds....
  4. tgharrison

tgharrison New Member

I have been on Valtrex since 1999 and when I go off I see a difference. It took me three months before I saw a big difference But I had high HHV6 levels. Thom
  5. tgharrison

tgharrison New Member

I have been on Valtrex since 1999 and when I go off I see a difference. It took me three months before I saw a big difference But I had high HHV6 levels. Thom
  6. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

My former rheaumy increased my dose of Valtrex from 500 mg to 3 grams per day. She thought that it would help the chronic fatigue. I didn't notice any difference after being on it for three months so she decreased it back down to 1 gram per day. Valtrex is good for herpes supression therapy. However, I still have outbreaks from time to time and I take Valtrex daily.
  7. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Thanks to all who've replied so far. Guess I won't give up hoping that it might actually work yet! (Actually, I don't know that I have, but when a certain person asks you two or more times a week if it's working yet, it gets kinda irritating.)

I'd still be glad to hear from others as well.
  8. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Yep.....After my mamy immune problems, My PDoc finally convinced me to use Famvir 2x aa day as a prophalactic and guess what??? It HAS helped. I no longer get cold sores every month. My sinus and respiratory problems have been relieved. My energry still stinks, but I'm working on that!!! Try it!!! Luckily, my copay is only $25 a month(cough,cough) but it is works for ME. Braidie
  9. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Yep.....After my mamy immune problems, My PDoc finally convinced me to use Famvir 2x aa day as a prophalactic and guess what??? It HAS helped. I no longer get cold sores every month. My sinus and respiratory problems have been relieved. My energry still stinks, but I'm working on that!!! Try it!!! Luckily, my copay is only $25 a month(cough,cough) but it is works for ME. Braidie
  10. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I know the feeling when you say your husband left you with Herpes. My ex did the same to me and he took no responsibility for it. However, I didn't have any other bed partners. I was totally depressed when I realized that I was moving on without him and I had a contagious virus that he had given me. Thank God, I have found a wonderful and understanding man who appreciates me. I hope you realize that it doesn't mean you will never have another loving relationship.

= ) Betsy2